Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

Anyway reckon 2.10.24 most likely, the guardian points out that many tens of thousands of students likely not to be registered to vote where they study

'Hey our Right Wing MPs are polling a lot worse than the current PM, who is dire; I know one more heave rightwards will win us the general election'

See also: 'everyone is fucking sick of right wingers and culture war nonsense sir Kier, should we brainstorm a few mildly progressive policies?'

'No, now is the time to whinge about a tiny cross on a football shirt that looks like it could be considered pro-trans or something'.

See also: 'everyone is fucking sick of right wingers and culture war nonsense sir Kier, should we brainstorm a few mildly progressive policies?'

'No, now is the time to whinge about a tiny cross on a football shirt that looks like it could be considered pro-trans or something'.

He was asked about the shirt, and managed to get some good points in about why shirts should be cheaper and stay current for longer. It’s not like he was driving the story and had it on his grid.

You seem to have fantasised a GB News-lite Starmer purely so that you can be outraged at him.

He was asked about the shirt, and managed to get some good points in about why shirts should be cheaper and stay current for longer. It’s not like he was driving the story and had it on his grid.

You seem to have fantasised a GB News-lite Starmer purely so that you can be outraged at him.

Yeah he's a real man of the people. Didn't weigh in on football shirts because Farage and 30p Lee did it first or anything.

Yeah he's a real man of the people. Didn't weigh in on football shirts because Farage and 30p Lee did it first or anything.
while I would appreciate it if he responded to questions about football shirts with "this is beneath me, ask a real question, something of substance befitting the leader of the opposition and prime minister in waiting" I can see why his media team advise against it.

while I would appreciate it if he responded to questions about football shirts with "this is beneath me, ask a real question, something of substance befitting the leader of the opposition and prime minister in waiting" I can see why his media team advise against it.

There is a classy way to do it though.

'I don't think this is the issue most people are actually concerned about. Feels like yet another distraction that the media and the populist right have created to spread division and to stop people from asking why it really is that they're working harder for less reward than they have in decades, why in a nation with vast wealth people are dying in hospital corridors for want of a bed. It's the people who created, and continue to profit from, that situation who are the ones saying look at this shirt, this is an affront to you and your nation, this is what you should be angry about.'

It's, sadly, all part of the social fabric, which is far larger/more pervasive than electoral politics.

I have no interest whatever in any competitive sport - football, rugby, tennis - any of that crap whether local, national or international, I never watch it, or have any kind of thought towards it, and yet even I am forced by internal desire to confirm socially to give a pretence of having a sliver of interest on occasion.

If I was LotO, with a 20+ point lead 6 months from an election and paranoid that we could still blow it, I fear I'd have to pretend to have an interest in this crap (whatever this crap is....) as well.

There is a classy way to do it though.

'I don't think this is the issue most people are actually concerned about. Feels like yet another distraction that the media and the populist right have created to spread division and to stop people from asking why it really is that they're working harder for less reward than they have in decades, why in a nation with vast wealth people are dying in hospital corridors for want of a bed. It's the people who created, and continue to profit from, that situation who are the ones saying look at this shirt, this is an affront to you and your nation, this is what you should be angry about.'

SpookyFrank’s election winning playbook chapter 5: engage the media by telling them that they are spreading distractions to frustrate dissent. They will eat out of your hand!

SpookyFrank’s election winning playbook chapter 5: engage the media by telling them that they are spreading distractions to frustrate dissent. They will eat out of your hand!

What's the alternative? Do whatever Murdoch says?

Trump trash-talks the media constantly and he's done alright for himself.

What's the alternative? Do whatever Murdoch says?

Trump trash-talks the media constantly and he's done alright for himself.

We have reached the “Starmer should be more like Trump” conversational nadir already. It is barely past breakfast time.

Jeremy Hunt says £100,000 is not enough to live on forcing Scott Benton on a meagre £87,000 PA ( + all sorts of expenses ) to top up his salary by accepting bribes from the gambling industry. Have these people no shame. Another bloody snout in the trough.
Greedy bastards.

Jeremy Hunt says £100,000 is not enough to live on forcing Scott Benton on a meagre £87,000 PA ( + all sorts of expenses ) to top up his salary by accepting bribes from the gambling industry. Have these people no shame. Another bloody snout in the trough.
Greedy bastards.
It will, of course, be just as corrupt with the LP in government but, tbf to Starmer, at least he hasn't committed to an administration of 'integrity, professionalism and accountability at every level'.

If the farmers are revolting then it's pretty much over, it was anyway, but goodbye conservatives.
Farmers ride tractors into central London in major protest over trade deals
The tories, including Sunak, jumped right on board with the Welsh farmers at their protest!
_132720995_0ca5b858-017a-421f-9d0c-6379d28cfb93.jpg.webp

also...
Newyddion S4C has spoken to several farmers who have voiced fears that people outside the rural community may be using protests to achieve other goals.
Some have said individuals and groups opposed to devolution and climate change targets had attended protests and been active on online farming forums.
But he is also apprehensive about the involvement of some prominent figures, including Katie Hopkins.
"If we look at one example of someone who is considered an influencer - Katie Hopkins - she came in on the side of the farmers, and I was alarmed.
"She is well known for holding views which are racist, extremist right wing views, she has been kicked off Twitter....in the end, I don't think it's good for us as farmers to be associated with these kind of views... and in the end, we'll lose the support of the public."
BBC Wales contacted Katie Hopkins but she did not address the farmers' concerns.
On her social media platforms she stated she was "from farming", that her daughter is a farmer and she had "a long history of supporting farmers at personal risk [in South Africa]".

Yep, founder James Melville, a media commentator who does not farm but says he grew up on a family farm in Fife, sits on the board of Together, which runs campaigns against Covid-19 lockdowns and the ULEZ.

Well that's it then. Anything he's involved in has to be a grift to help his career

The tories, including Sunak, jumped right on board with the Welsh farmers at their protest!
_132720995_0ca5b858-017a-421f-9d0c-6379d28cfb93.jpg.webp

also...

Hmm... The new leader of Fine Gael Simon Harris said in his speech two days ago:

[Fine Gael] stands not for lecturing farmers, but for helping them.

For helping farmers to transition to meet the challenges of both food security and climate change.

We believe in regional development. It's essential. To people in rural Ireland, let me say this to you: we have your back.

Back
Top Bottom