Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

and it seems to have taken place without any Labour Party involvement. Which considering they are the next government and were often runners up in the constituency, makes it completely pointless.
I don't think Labour Party involvement would make it any less pointless.

I was very loosely involved in an attempt or two to do primaries (was part of local groups in constituency) and it didn't work mainly because they were for by or snap elections and there was no time. By the time a result was out, the actual pastries had been campaigning for weeks and one was clearly the contender.

Guess it might work better if there is a long lead time.

I was very loosely involved in an attempt or two to do primaries (was part of local groups in constituency) and it didn't work mainly because they were for by or snap elections and there was no time. By the time a result was out, the actual pastries had been campaigning for weeks and one was clearly the contender.

Guess it might work better if there is a long lead time.

Please don’t ever edit this. They are all tarts anyway.

Those of us "of an age" might remember The Jury Team, a rather Quixotic attempt to create lists of ordinary people standing at the European Parliament elections.

Totnes as well, which is a worthless sample. I say this because last time I visited the place, you couldn't move for craft shops, woo merchants and weirdo hippy crystal shaggers. It proper peturbed me.

Don't know when that was, but they're not as prevalent as they used to be. It's got more of an Islington Guardian reader vibe nowadays, with a dash of crackpot conspiraloonery and the get-away-from-it-all-organic-fed rich.

To be fair, some people are doing some geniunely interesting things there, but the whole lefty-liberal nicey-nice ghetto thing really grates with me.

Don't know when that was, but they're not as prevalent as they used to be. It's got more of an Islington Guardian reader vibe nowadays, with a dash of crackpot conspiraloonery and the get-away-from-it-all-organic-fed rich.

To be fair, some people are doing some geniunely interesting things there, but the whole lefty-liberal nicey-nice ghetto thing really grates with me.
To be fair, I last visited Totnes in the mid 1990s... so I accept it might be a bit different now. Still, your above comment confirms it's still pretty worthless as a sample.

"Of the 15 wealthy nations surveyed by the ParlGov project, voters in the UK are the most left-leaning, yet suffer the most rightwing governments"... Interesting fact if true...I wonder what the 15 nations were in the survey
I had a look on their website and couldn't work out where this ParlGov survey was supposed to be from (they seem to focus just on election outcomes, though do have a function for assessing parties' positions on the political compass), but did find a reference to a survey of 15 Western nations in this study, which also references ParlGov, seems to be covering the same subject matter and is based on analysing the 2016 European Social Survey (pdf) data. I'm wondering if he got his reference muddled.

Last edited:
Totnes as well, which is a worthless sample. I say this because last time I visited the place, you couldn't move for craft shops, woo merchants and weirdo hippy crystal shaggers. It proper peturbed me.
Sounds like hell, but that's what I would expect.

The Levelling Up, Housing and Communities Committee have produced a report today stating that as many as eight million people face being disenfranchised at the next election over registration issues and voter ID requirements.

presumably mostly people who were more likely to vote for shammer

The Totnes vibe is a mixture of bitter hippies selling you tatty dream catchers and the sort of posh types you’d get in somewhere like East Dulwich

Charity shops are good, but I can only bear to go there once a year. Too many cars on Fore Street.

There's also some utter prick who goes up and down the high street all day on some rustbucket motorbike that sounds like a wood chipper being put through a bigger wood chipper.

The Totnes vibe is a mixture of bitter hippies selling you tatty dream catchers and the sort of posh types you’d get in somewhere like East Dulwich

Charity shops are good, but I can only bear to go there once a year. Too many cars on Fore Street.
You can now buy magik tat and spirit crystals direct via Temu so the bitter hippies are about to get even bitterer as their market prolapses. I found one site bulk selling a pallette of assorted hip crap tat including books for less than £1 an item. Could imagine renting out a unit for a month in one of these towns and massively undercutting the established purveyors of piffle with a 99p spirit quest store.

You can now buy magik tat and spirit crystals direct via Temu so the bitter hippies are about to get even bitterer as their market prolapses. I found one site bulk selling a pallette of assorted hip crap tat including books for less than £1 an item. Could imagine renting out a unit for a month in one of these towns and massively undercutting the established purveyors of piffle with a 99p spirit quest store.

I don't think it's the stuff that matters. It's the experience of going to a 'spiritual' place (Glastonbury, Tintagel etc) and getting a spiritual thing in a desperate to compensate for the howling void where a personality should be. This explains why the actual stuff can be so tawdry and still sell by the bucketload.

I don't think it's the stuff that matters. It's the experience of going to a 'spiritual' place (Glastonbury, Tintagel etc) and getting a spiritual thing in a desperate to compensate for the howling void where a personality should be. This explains why the actual stuff can be so tawdry and still sell by the bucketload
I like Tintagel and Glastonbury as actual sites. Tintagel especially. It's got a cracking YHA hostel as well (sadly only available for whole bookings this year).

As I am not surrounded by spirit tat shops where I live they are more of a novelty. I can remember explaining to one crystal purveyor that I had the ability to absorb and retain the essence of the crystal through observation skills and therefore had no need to purchase one.

Where's the woo in that?!?!

Some cracking scores on the unfavourable front , Corbyn still living rent free and those who obviously have never heard of Rachel Reeves despite Paul Masons breathless embrace of her

View attachment 416940
Almost as popular is Fiona Wilson

Back
Top Bottom