Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

Why are they having a levelling up sec? Don't they have the imagination to make up their own stupid departments for the achievement of fuck all.

I think it's maybe because the Levelling Up fund pays for so much - entire organisations, lots of jobs, loads of ongoing grants programmes etc. It's really enmeshed in local government funding. There are levelling up teams in councils. They could obviously do away with it and maybe they will but that would be a huge operation and take some time.

Anyway, what the blistering fuck is happening in South Basildon? Third recount?
I think i read reform had "won" but it was very close and labour demanded a recount but the returning officer decided to start that tommorow and sent everyone home.

Turned out to be Glasgow all.

I've just looked at the Scottish results by constituency. The swing to Labour overall must be circa18%.

The talking corpse held his seat... just.

Perhaps some statistical wizard could tell us what this level of swing in 2026 would mean at Holyrood?
It was a bit odd to randomly quote a post of mine from back in February, several months before the election had been called and months before Yousaf resigned as First Minister. Not sure why you went back looking for that.

But the SNP lost more than just all the Glasgow seats: they were trounced right across the country. And deservedly so.

Not that I’m feeling optimistic about the future.

It was a bit odd to randomly quote a post of mine from back in February, several months before the election had been called and months before Yousaf resigned as First Minister. Not sure why you went back looking for that.

But the SNP lost more than just all the Glasgow seats: they were trounced right across the country. And deservedly so.

Hope is a feeling existing only in the past

Yes, but aren’t they on their third recount now?

Dunno. But this is given as the result.

Reform gain from Con

South Basildon and East Thurrock​

PartyCandidateVotes% (pt change)
ReformJames McMurdock12,17830.8 (-)
LabJack Ferguson12,08030.5 (+7)
ConStephen Metcalfe10,15925.7 (-39.7)
IndNeil Speight1,9284.9 (-)
GreenElizabeth Grant1,7184.3 (+4.2)
Lib DemDave Thomas1,0712.7 (-1.4)
IndSteven Burnett2750.7 (-)
SocdemSimon Breedon1400.4 (-)

Full recount started at 2pm. I thought they were taking a longer break than that.

'Go on my son'​

Reform leader Nigel Farage has congratulated James McMurdock further, sharing how he was a paper candidate "drafted in at the last minute".
Oh, cool, can't see that developing into any kind of problem...

)

I was following another post back, and spotted yours. That is all, nothing sinister. :)

Yep just one left to go. I think that is one of the large scottish ones with islands etc where it probably takes 24 hours to get all the ballot boxes to the counting place.

1720197912902.png

Wes Streeting having a 500ish majority is weirdly a return to his usual performance. When he took the seat from the Tories in 2015 he had a 589 majority,

Under Corbyn than blew out to 9k and 5k in 2017 and 2019, convincing Wes that it was because he was a Special Big Boy.

Now he's got his Special Big Boy Job but his majority is just 528. So he's done worse than ever.

Very possible that Health Secretary Wes Streeting is a 2029 election Portillo.

Back
Top Bottom