Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

Was there an official reason given? Last time Labour pulled a candidate was over Gaza wasn’t it ?

my understanding is they haven't withdrawn him as a candidate, just told him to stop campaigning locally and cut off funds from party HQ, and told him to go and help the campaign in 'target' seats. some other candidates in seats they don't expect to win have been told to do likewise.

similarly, the tories have told some existing MPs in marginal seats to give up campaigning locally and go and prop up the campaign of 'big beasts' who are at risk of losing their seats.

Let’s concentrate on what happened with your Labour candidate in Clacton
Oh right I thought you meant that server thing.

The writer of the piece is someone I know so I expect everything as written is pretty much what’s happened. Shoddy behaviour, and idiotic as Labour know that Tweets don’t win you an election.

my understanding is they haven't withdrawn him as a candidate, just told him to stop campaigning locally and cut off funds from party HQ, and told him to go and help the campaign in 'target' seats. some other candidates in seats they don't expect to win have been told to do likewise.

similarly, the tories have told some existing MPs in marginal seats to give up campaigning locally and go and prop up the campaign of 'big beasts' who are at risk of losing their seats.
This is it afaik.

This wasn't pulling a candidate, this was haranguing him to stop campaigning. He's still on the ballot, HQ didn't like that he was getting good media.

It's a standard thing, no point throwing resources at a seat that there's no hope in winning at this stage.

Let’s concentrate on what happened with your Labour candidate in Clacton

Führage.

Party HQ have taken the view that Labour weren't going to win the seat, and that most of the votes they were winning was coming off the Tory candidate, not Falange - in effect, that if it wasn't going to be a Labour MP, it's better that it's a Tory MP than Farage.

It would be a poor decision if it were taken 6 months out from the GE, but a reasonable one taken a week before. He's a good candidate who got the shitty end of the stick - if he'd been given solid backing 6 months ago, with party HQ making a decision to make Clacton a target seat, and followed through with it, he'd had been solidly in the running with a good chance of beating both Falange/other Reform, and the Tories, but without that groundwork all he's doing is fighting the Tories for second place.

I would have thought fighting hard when you are up against the leader of British racist populism would be the way to go.

Not if you're taking votes from the Tories, who are best placed to stop Farage.

Not that they will, Farage will take that seat, no problem.

Führage.

Party HQ have taken the view that Labour weren't going to win the seat, and that most of the votes they were winning was coming off the Tory candidate, not Falange - in effect, that if it wasn't going to be a Labour MP, it's better that it's a Tory MP than Farage.

It would be a poor decision if it were taken 6 months out from the GE, but a reasonable one taken a week before. He's a good candidate who got the shitty end of the stick - if he'd been given solid backing 6 months ago, with party HQ making a decision to make Clacton a target seat, and followed through with it, he'd had been solidly in the running with a good chance of beating both Falange/other Reform, and the Tories, but without that groundwork all he's doing is fighting the Tories for second place.
So he wasn’t given solid backing 6 months ago , wasn’t solidly in with a chance of beating Reform , and Labour would rather their supporters vote Tory ? You are right that is a shitty stick .

How do Labour propose to build a base of opposition to Farage in Clacton if they are going to abandon it ?

So he wasn’t given solid backing 6 months ago , wasn’t solidly in with a chance of beating Reform , and Labour would rather their supporters vote Tory ? You are right that is a shitty stick .

How do Labour propose to build a base of opposition to Farage in Clacton if they are going to abandon it ?

Farage will win, do a terrible job as MP and job done.

6 months ago party HQ didn't think Clacton was a realistic target seat, so very little resource was put in, and what local resources existed were asked to work in nearby seats where it was judged there was a realistic chance of a win. He wasn't selected as a candidate until recently, so they could hardly promote him - or whoever else was in the running.

Not selecting candidates until the last minute is a real problem, it means not building up relationships or name recognition, as well as all the normal stuff about who actually gets selected.

So Labour have to win every seat now? Come on now this sort of thing is just basic effective use of resources to ensure winning an election - for once they might actually get it done!

News from my unimportant backwater...

We elect PC, but our whole constituency has changed to give the Tory next door a chance here instead. Shit mistake obviously now.

But what we always get are Tory posters. Fields and fields of fucking landowners sticking them up so you'd think it was a Tory (not PC) constituency.

Those posters are not there this time. First time in 20 years. What's in their place is Refuck.

A lot of Refuck.

Prolly means about as much as the Tory posters before but...across the country? I'm beginning to wonder.

Lots of Refuck in Llanelli (a different constituency) too.

Yeah. Give the fascists a free run cos it hurts the tories.

It's actually give the Tories a free run cos it hurts the fascists.

By all means have the legit conversation about how close the Tories are going to get to Faragist fascism after the election, but anyone who thinks a no mark Tory MP as part of a Tory rump of perhaps 90-120 Tory MP's is more dangerous than having Führage as an MP is just deranged.

It comes down to this: is it better to have a Labour government with 450 seats, the Tories 100, and no Falange, or a Labour government with 450 seats, the Tories 99, and Falange getting even more exposure and legitimacy as an MP?

Personally, I think anyone who thinks the second is better is in the running for The Worlds Shittest Antifascist award, but that's just me...

(I still think Falange win in Clacton - I'd argue that not going hard on the shitty little creep from the start is a huge strategic mistake, and that if places like Clacton had got the attention 6 months ago, we'd be having a very different conversation - but where we are right now, it's the least worst option available, and it probably ought to have been done 4 weeks ago)

Farage has to reverse a 25,000 majority?

Giles Watling

Conservative
31,43872.3%11.0%
Kevin Bonavia

Labour
15.5%-9.9%

This. But the reasoning doesn’t seem to be campaign focus and resources…

Back
Top Bottom