Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

Starmer on BBC One right now. He’s crap. Thingy is asking him all about private healthcare, would you skip the queue. He should just say, nobody should have to.

Surely there must be enough LDs in his constituency for two or three to take pity and join him for the photos to stop him looking so desperate and lonely.

I simply cannot see a shift of that magnitude. Even in 2017 when they did better they were still a distant second to the Tories whose majority has massively icreased since theytook the seat in 2010. If anyone is likely to unseat them it would be the previous incumbents, the libdems who held the seat for a while before. I just don't see it
Time for a trip to specsavers

Reactions: tim
Can I just say that this is the most entertaining election that I've ever seen :)

I recall staying up to listen to parliamentary votes late at night in the last century that you didn't actually know what the result would be.

Watching the tories (hopefully) getting a good fisting is a once-in-a-lifetime experience though. :D I don't even care that it's the serial liar that is Sharmer that's winning. He'll be taken to account soon enough when his policies are shown to fail, because they always fucking do.

I don't stay up to watch the results come in - I watch the first 90 mins or so, maybe wait to see Sunderland declare the results - and then get up about 4am to see what's occurring and watch loads of declarations.

This year, this year however I think I'm going to stay up - I want to watch every moment the vermin squirm on the panels, and I want to watch every declaration.

I might need to have two screens to watch two different channels to make sure I get every declaration in real, glorious live action technicolour.

Trying to decide what my celebration breakfast should be.

Current wagers:

Labour will overturn a 20k majority in Wyre Forest and win the seat.

Lib Dems will get 60+ seats.

Tories will win less than 100 seats.

The Disgraced-Cunt-Führage will win in Clacton (don't like that one, but I think it's true nonetheless).

Corbyn will win Islington.

Greens will win Bristol and North Herefordshire.

Labour will hit 450 seats.

(I remain Urbans' worst political forecaster, so betting on an increased Tory majority is probably a safe way to store your money...)

I don't stay up to watch the results come in - I watch the first 90 mins or so, maybe wait to see Sunderland declare the results - and then get up about 4am to see what's occurring and watch loads of declarations.

This year, this year however I think I'm going to stay up - I want to watch every moment the vermin squirm on the panels
My son asked me last night if I am capable of staying up the night at my age... plan is to be outside Downing street for the motorcade departure.

Lewisham East hustings are supposedly next Wednesday at 8pm at St Mildred’s Church (St Mildred’s Road which forms part of the South Circular).
Buses 160 and 202 go past the place, it has a big red double decker ‘fun bus’ parked on the site (which never seems to move), but might be familiar to some people.

Can I just say that this is the most entertaining election that I've ever seen :)

I recall staying up to listen to parliamentary votes late at night in the last century that you didn't actually know what the result would be.

Watching the tories (hopefully) getting a good fisting is a once-in-a-lifetime experience though. :D I don't even care that it's the serial liar that is Sharmer that's winning. He'll be taken to account soon enough when his policies are shown to fail, because they always fucking do.
The latest YG polling suggests that those of us enjoying the entertainment are in the minority! Only 22% of respondents feel like that and just look at those Leavist numbers; 43% not enjoying the thing at all.

1718440611417.png

Last few elections, I've watched first 10 mins or so after 10pm just to hear the exit poll (and any mp's going "off message" :D ). Then switched off until 2am or so (checking urban during the interval) and then watched from there onwards.

Unless there is major shock in the exit poll this should be a good one :thumbs:

Last few elections, I've watched first 10 mins or so after 10pm just to hear the exit poll (and any mp's going "off message" :D ). Then switched off until 2am or so (checking urban during the interval) and then watched from there onwards.

Unless there is major shock in the exit poll this should be a good one :thumbs:
The early morning wake up option is a good one. Will coincide with the usual 3am wide awake space and put in good stead for the unfolding day.
Best option would be if Sunak does a Brown and leaves his departure from number 10 to the last minute. Presumably he will come back from Richmond by helicopter.

However, knowing what a spoil sport he is he may just head straight from the airport to the King at Windsor to hand his notice in or even arrange to meet in Sandringham which would be a total disaster in terms of dramatic quality.

I must say that even as a tribal Labour wanky reformist I am far far far more excited by the Tories losing big than I am about Labour winning.

Which makes me sad.

But election results will be an early morning rather than a late night for me to really enjoy them, and I’m not a morning person.

The latest YG polling suggests that those of us enjoying the entertainment are in the minority! Only 22% of respondents feel like that and just look at those Leavist numbers; 43% not enjoying the thing at all.

View attachment 429037
"very much" at 4% :eek: some people just have no sense of fun

However, knowing what a spoil sport he is he may just head straight from the airport to the King at Windsor to hand his notice in or even arrange to meet in Sandringham which would be a total disaster in terms of dramatic quality.
or just emigrate to the US with tail between legs instead

This year, this year however I think I'm going to stay up - I want to watch every moment the vermin squirm on the panels, and I want to watch every declaration.

I might need to have two screens to watch two different channels to make sure I get every declaration in real, glorious live action technicolour.

Trying to decide what my celebration breakfast should be.

Current wagers:

Labour will overturn a 20k majority in Wyre Forest and win the seat.

Lib Dems will get 60+ seats.

Tories will win less than 100 seats.

The Disgraced-Cunt-Führage will win in Clacton (don't like that one, but I think it's true nonetheless).

Corbyn will win Islington.

Greens will win Bristol and North Herefordshire.

Labour will hit 450 seats.

(I remain Urbans' worst political forecaster, so betting on an increased Tory majority is probably a safe way to store your money...)
I plan to stop up all night, my plan is to drink Redbull and watch the Marx Brothers during the boring bits.
My predictions are a tad more conservative than yours, I expect Labour to break the 400 barrier and the Tories to stay on the wrong side of the 100 one. I would really like to see the Greens get a couple of seats but am still dubious they will
I have a long list of seats to check on the night beside my own including those with Left List, Pro Gaza, Jon Sweeney, Galloway (all of whom I expect to vanish without trace)
I think both Magic Grandpa and Frog Lord will do well but will lose
Like you though I am confident that some of my predictions will be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom