Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

These rose tinted views of the past are really weird to me. Most of us here are from the generation who were pretty much left to our own devices and roaming the streets from about age 10/11. Attendance at my upper school was pretty much voluntary, you might get in trouble the first time knocking off but if you carried on noone really cared - in fact it was pretty much encouraged if you were disruptive. Most kids at my school left at 15/16 and quite a lot of people left home not long after.

There's been a massive social shift in how we view the role of schools, the supervision and independence of children and young people, parenting styles and the age at which kids can be seen as mature enough to make decisions and fend for themselves (which is mostly a good thing although the narky teenager in me isn't so sure). But still people come out with this we looked after our kids properly in my day not like these young woke slackers. Anyway off topic etc but I just don't get it, it's like they lived a completely different history to me

I know the feeling - i went to a really good state school in the leafy Cotswolds and did my GCSE's in 1991. From about year 9 my attendance fell off a cliff, by the end of year 10 I was in school maybe one day a week, and in year eleven I turned up for history and geography, and my exams - that was it. No attendance officer ever contacted my parents, and my folks took the view that because I was really well read, and not hanging around the town centre but going on massive cycle rides every day, trying to force me into school would do more harm than good.

My friends and I would go on camping trips and staying in YHA''s from 14 or so - no adult supervision, both our parents, and the campsites and YHA's would be fine with it - nowadays you've got to be 18 to stay at a YHA on your own, campsite might take you at 16 if a parent organised it and they have contact/payment details

My eldest wanted to go off when she was 15 - it was a nightmare to organise, other parents wanted everything from a parent staying on the same site to a parent (not them, obviously....) with them the whole time. I'll even accept that I wasn't anything like as relaxed/indifferent about it as I expected my parents to be about my adventures/truancy at the same age...

I know the feeling - i went to a really good state school in the leafy Cotswolds and did my GCSE's in 1991. From about year 9 my attendance fell off a cliff, by the end of year 10 I was in school maybe one day a week, and in year eleven I turned up for history and geography, and my exams - that was it. No attendance officer ever contacted my parents, and my folks took the view that because I was really well read, and not hanging around the town centre but going on massive cycle rides every day, trying to force me into school would do more harm than good.

My friends and I would go on camping trips and staying in YHA''s from 14 or so - no adult supervision, both our parents, and the campsites and YHA's would be fine with it - nowadays you've got to be 18 to stay at a YHA on your own, campsite might take you at 16 if a parent organised it and they have contact/payment details

My eldest wanted to go off when she was 15 - it was a nightmare to organise, other parents wanted everything from a parent staying on the same site to a parent (not them, obviously....) with them the whole time. I'll even accept that I wasn't anything like as relaxed/indifferent about it as I expected my parents to be about my adventures/truancy at the same age...
I was persistently absent in years 9-11. In year 9 or 10 the council sent a man round my house who asked me what kind of music I liked and said it would be awfully nice if I gave school a go. Apart from that, nothing.

I'm warming to him tbh. He's old, probably a bit of a drinker, sounds a bit lonely, decided it would be fun to use the election as an excuse to get out of the house and a get pissed every day for a month. Fair play.
I think that sums up what John Sweeney has ended up as very well

What gets me is the number of parents who seem to be heavily involved in their kids life at university. I don't mean just doing some washing for them or whatever, but actually dealing with the university, like they are still at school.

leaving school days behind for a moment, saw some Lib Dem placards in a farmers field yesterday in the semi rural constituency I live in, so I think that’s categorical evidence the farmer vote has transferred to the yellow / orange austerity enablers.

Am I alone in thinking Farage being elected as an MP would be very funny, seeing Nigel haven't to vote on planning reforms to pig pens would warm my heart. The weird fight in the Tories would also be popcorn-worthy.

Am I alone in thinking Farage being elected as an MP would be very funny, seeing Nigel haven't to vote on planning reforms to pig pens would warm my heart. The weird fight in the Tories would also be popcorn-worthy.

They don't have to vote though do they. He'd probably barely bother to set foot in the place unless he fancied cheap drinks.

Reactions: tim
They don't have to vote though do they. He'd probably barely bother to set foot in the place unless he fancied cheap drinks.
That would be his bind because unlike the European parliament the UK parliament is broadcasted every day it runs and nerds would report his attendance, expenses etc.

That would be his bind because unlike the European parliament the UK parliament is broadcasted every day it runs and nerds would report his attendance, expenses etc.

That's true, but the chamber is hardly busy outside of the likes of PMQs and debates on major new laws.

If Frog Lord gets elected (personally I think he will do well but fail once more) then I suspect he will probably be a poor attendee at the HoC and an even poorer constituency MP. He's one of those who loves the limelight, the dull grind and nitty gritty aren't really his thing.

My first thought, I was surprised he's only neck and neck with Labour, but I see that's just his claim, 'as he launched a drive to recruit hundreds more volunteers to support his attempt to become an independent MP', so I'll take that with a pinch of salt.

Paywall busted link for the Telegraph link - https://archive.ph/eUBnB

Has to happen. One of the few heart warming things that could happen on election night. (Tories being replaced with others Tories doesn't cut it, and definitely isn't worth opening the champagne for.)

My first thought, I was surprised he's only neck and neck with Labour, but I see that's just his claim, 'as he launched a drive to recruit hundreds more volunteers to support his attempt to become an independent MP', so I'll take that with a pinch of salt.

Paywall busted link for the Telegraph link - https://archive.ph/eUBnB

200 volunteers does feel like a lot but then I recall some Labour person telling me they had 1000 in Southwark in 2015 GE

200 volunteers does feel like a lot but then I recall some Labour person telling me they had 1000 in Southwark in 2015 GE

I can see why he wants more volunteers, just to ensure the biggest vote share possible, but I doubt he actually needs them to win, TBH.

If Frog Lord gets elected (personally I think he will do well but fail once more) then I suspect he will probably be a poor attendee at the HoC and an even poorer constituency MP. He's one of those who loves the limelight, the dull grind and nitty gritty aren't really his thing.
Werent you telling us a while ago that you didn't really see the value of a good constituency MP and that people voted for the brand?

I can see why he wants more volunteers, just to ensure the biggest vote share possible, but I doubt he actually needs them to win, TBH.

Well he has advantages and disadvantages. Huge name recognition and longevity but Islington like Lambeth has a high turnover of residents, so there will be a fair few who haven't been there for an election before. Islington residents will likely also be bombarded by menu leaflets so probably won't read most that come through the slot.

He'll also lack the Labour canvassing data, the so called "promises".

So I think he'll need every warm body willing to help. I know a couple of ex Labour people who are going, so think he won't struggle to get more.

Back
Top Bottom