Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2019 General Election

Anyone done any doorknocking?

I did some at the weekend in the North East Derbyshire constituency, Tory held at the moment and Labour really need to win it back. Was alright, kind of reactions you would expect but was surprised at how little time Labour actually knocked doors for (some were going somewhere else in the afternoon but most just going home).

I did some at the weekend in the North East Derbyshire constituency, Tory held at the moment and Labour really need to win it back. Was alright, kind of reactions you would expect but was surprised at how little time Labour actually knocked doors for (some were going somewhere else in the afternoon but most just going home).
How many of you were out? They seem to be getting insane numbers of people turning up in some areas, and in most cases are still using paper canvas sheets, so I think they often can't respond flexibly when a hundred people turn up.

Most of these areas are used to going canvasing with 4 time servers, and they have no idea how to organise a big group...

How many of you were out? They seem to be getting insane numbers of people turning up in some areas, and in most cases are still using paper canvas sheets, so I think they often can't respond flexibly when a hundred people turn up.

Most of these areas are used to going canvasing with 4 time servers, and they have no idea how to organise a big group...

Yeah I think that's definitely a possibility. 55 came out. I don't think they had planned to do that many boards.

I was also silently enraged by the incompetence of the guy running my board.

Give them a break, no-one really knows what they're doing. There's no staff coming from the region to help organise so it's all down to how useful the local regulars are, and mostly they aren't useful IME

similar story, reaction wise. Sounds a bit more organised here. NEDs is getting a lot more turnout, cos of the seat and the candidate. PLeasantly surprised we are beig encouraged to have bit more of an actual conversation this time.

Give them a break, no-one really knows what they're doing. There's no staff coming from the region to help organise so it's all down to how useful the local regulars are, and mostly they aren't useful IME

Yeah I know. I didn't voice any criticism and smiled politely whenever he got confused or mixed up.

In about 15 years living in Worthing, I've never had anyone knock my door, bit pointless TBH as Peter Bottomley always get over 50%.

Actually, Bottomley almost knocked my door in 2015, but spotted me in the garden & popped his head over the fence instead, I guess I was too polite by just saying something like, 'I am not voting for you, I am not interested in discussing it with you, I am busy, goodbye.'

In about 15 years living in Worthing, I've never had anyone knock my door, bit pointless TBH as Peter Bottomley always get over 50%.

Actually, Bottomley almost knocked my door in 2015, but spotted me in the garden & popped his head over the fence instead, I guess I was too polite by just saying something like, 'I am not voting for you, I am not interested in discussing it with you, I am busy, goodbye.'
That was nice of you. He only has so much time to knock the doors, you really helped him there.

I'm surprised he bothers coming to the constituency at all...it's not exactly a close contest.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

Went out in Bristol NW the other day. Bellwether marginal currently held by Labour (first time in decades that it's not been held by the governing party). We had Bristol Momentum with us so were able to cover loads of ground with people who had done plenty of this sort of thing already. Three sessions through the day (I did two) and loads going on elsewhere nearby as well (I seem to have ended up in about five WhatsApp grounps for Bristol NW, Filton & Bradley Stoke, Momentum etc).
Labour vote is holding up healthily, both from my own personal experience (roughly half the people who answered their doors to me instantly promised to vote Labour) and from numbers that I've seen/anecdotal stuff I've heard. Local people understand it's marginal, it's a two horse race etc
People canvassing in Bristol West aren't remotely concerned that the Greens are throwing the kitchen sink at it and reckon Labour will hold easily.
Am told that Tory marginal Filton & Bradley Stoke "feels good". I'll see for myself on Wednesday when I've promised to go out on the doors in Severn Beach, one of the more Tory villages in F&BS. Sitting MP is Jack Lo Presti and he is a CUNT. Everybody knows it as well, even the Tories.
Bristol Momentum are pretty active in the marginals, organising regular trips to F&BS, Kingswood and BNW and having weekend awaydays to Gloucester, Stroud, Vale of Glamorgan. They've got good numbers, loads of them down in town and being well directed to where they're needed.

If Labour don't hold or move forward in the West of England then it won't be for lack of numbers and effort.

My mate just messaged to say she's out locally to her tonight and everybody's voting Labour. That's Hackney South & Shoreditch mind so no real surprise! She helped out in Blackpool South on the weekend and said it was tough but some positive responses too

Oh, big registration drive at UWE led by Momentum as well. Could be very helpful in F&BS, Kingswood and BNW where many of their students live

While this kind of thing can be frustrating, two years ago similar things were happening but with relatively safe seats being swamped by eager volunteers. So at least this time the organised chaos is being directed at winnable places rather than seats that are safely in the bag

Just been told that Chingford and Kensington have such huge numbers turning up that they're being redirected to Harlow, Thurrock etc

Friend of a friend was in Canterbury on the weekend and says things reasonably positive for Labour despite Lib Dem nonsense

While this kind of thing can be frustrating, two years ago similar things were happening but with relatively safe seats being swamped by eager volunteers. So at least this time the organised chaos is being directed at winnable places rather than seats that are safely in the bag
The numbers turning out are impressive, and serve something of a purpose just as a demonstration of the strength of the party - but I do think they could be directed a bit more intelligently as the campaign goes on. What's the point in 200 people turning up in one seat and only getting to do half an hours actual door knocking?

Bristol East will stay with Kerry I have no doubt.

If Kingswood could swing it would be good.
No way is Kerry losing East and if she does then we're in proper meltdown territory

Kingswood would be huge. Sure that the Kingswood/New Cheltenham parts can be turned out for Labour but it's bloody Hanham, Longwell Green, Emersons Green etc that worry me

Friend of a friend was in Canterbury on the weekend and says things reasonably positive for Labour despite Lib Dem nonsense

but the bar chart shows that only the lib dem can stand a chance of coming second to the tories*

* assuming both the other candidates have just been done for molesting sheep or something similarly anti-social

:p

The numbers turning out are impressive, and serve something of a purpose just as a demonstration of the strength of the party - but I do think they could be directed a bit more intelligently as the campaign goes on. What's the point in 200 people turning up in one seat and only getting to do half an hours actual door knocking?
Sure. The MyCampaignMap thing is a step forward from MyNearestMarginal last time around but still needs managing better tbh. Parts of Bristol NW getting good turn outs while others have the usual half dozen plodding around - probably cos it's down to ward secretaries or whoever to put details on and not all of them are on the ball with it

but the bar chart shows that only the lib dem can stand a chance of coming second to the tories*

* assuming both the other candidates have just been done for molesting sheep or something similarly anti-social

:p
Twitter joke of the day: "Your wife has gone into labour sir" "*gasps* but only the Lib Dems can win here!"

Someone who knows Wimbledon reckons that constituency level poll from yesterday is garbage, as is the Kensington one

Also I think that turning out big numbers in the right areas for GOTV on the day is gonna be crucial

Those doing canvassing - last time round were you doing stuff in the evenings, and are people still doing evening canvassing this time of year? Just wondered if the darker nights/crap weather was having any effect on this in terms of turnout and willingness to bother people on the doorstep.

Those doing canvassing - last time round were you doing stuff in the evenings, and are people still doing evening canvassing this time of year? Just wondered if the darker nights/crap weather was having any effect on this in terms of turnout and willingness to bother people on the doorstep.
Got nothing to compare it to as I wasn't active last time. Though I guess that makes me an increase on numbers myself
There are plenty of evening sessions occurring in my neck of the woods anyway

Labour have just launched their phone banking operation as well and already seen a pic on twitter of people in Humberside having a phone bank party for Truro & Falmouth. Hopefully that'll be well used as well

Back
Top Bottom