Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2019 General Election

Was just a DDoS by the looks of it.

Nice timing, on the day the lead story on many UK news websites is the report into Russian interference in UK politics. Someone seizing the opportunity to plant the idea in voters’ minds that that Russians don’t want Labour to win?

Last edited:
Nice timing, on the day the lead story on many UK news websites is the report into Russian interference in UK politics. Someone seizing the opportunity to plant the idea in voters minds that that Russians don’t want Labour to win?
Yeah...that said...just been speaking with a mate who's a CLP officer...she said that the campaign stuff had been even more glitchy/slow than normal over the last 24 hrs...so, sounds genuine?

Nick Boles, who was a Conservative MP, says he will vote for the Lib Dems in the 12 December election.

In a piece for the Evening Standard, he called Mr Johnson a "compulsive liar" and said he had "betrayed every single person he has ever had any dealings with: every woman who has ever loved him, every member of his family, every friend, every colleague, every employee, every constituent".

General election: Corbyn is a 'pharisee' and Johnson is a 'liar', says ex-Tory minister Nick Boles

The election that just keeps on giving. :thumbs:

*Cough*
3d0da1716d20cc9ea61aad433a93c6e6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

The election that just keeps on giving. :thumbs:

He's right but what is it with all these 'centrists' throwing their rattles out of the pram. Surely you can dislike the leader and still support the party? Anyway isn't it supposed to be about your local candidate anyway? Bunch of vain shallow nutters.

He's right but what is it with all these 'centrists' throwing their rattles out of the pram. Surely you can dislike the leader and still support the party? Anyway isn't it supposed to be about your local candidate anyway? Bunch of vain shallow nutters.

Can't help notice centrists are fond of insisting we all play centre field but as soon as anyone tries to move the ball left and back from the right it's dangerously populist...

there's an interesting article in the mail about the bp declaration and the effect it may have A morale boost for Boris Johnson, but victory is far from certain, writes Professor Philip Cowley | Daily Mail Online

I think that’s about right. Although, it does mean the Tories can redeploy resources from defending some of these seats into target seats.

I’ve also heard (but not seen) that the Daily Mail has now ‘analysed’ where the BP should stand down in Labour held leave seats because the Tories are best placed to win there. They are encouraging their readers to email the BP and tell them to stand down in these seats.

There are about 50 seats in my estimation which are marginal and which both parties will need to win. The majority of these are leave voting. It’s delusional to think that the consequences of such an arrangement proposed by the Mail, formal or otherwise, might not be decisive. And yet some people clearly do. At the very least Labour should a) acknowledge the matter and b) consider taking steps to counter the developing situation

Last edited:
Tories holding back on manifesto launch until two weeks before the election:

Conservatives set to delay manifesto launch until just two weeks before election

I suspect this is not only to avoid scrutiny, but also to see how things stand at this point so they can work out whether to risk putting in stuff they really want but might not get away with in a tight contest (like repealing of hunting ban, tax breaks for private healthcare and other long-desired policies)

whether to risk putting in stuff they really want but might not get away with in a tight contest (like repealing of hunting ban, tax breaks for private healthcare and other long-desired policies)
Surely if they get a majority they can just do all these things anyway? Why would they put them in their manifesto?

Tories holding back on manifesto launch until two weeks before the election:

Conservatives set to delay manifesto launch until just two weeks before election

I suspect this is not only to avoid scrutiny, but also to see how things stand at this point so they can work out whether to risk putting in stuff they really want but might not get away with in a tight contest (like repealing of hunting ban, tax breaks for private healthcare and other long-desired policies)
An incentive for Labour to get its manifesto out there as soon and vigorously as possible. As ever, hard to say exactly what is wise or unwise in the current political universe, but campaigning without a manifesto for weeks when your opponents are campaigning with one doesn't strike me as wise.

things that are in the manifesto fall under the parliament act and it's harder for them to be defeated if introduced

also, to get votes
They dont, formally. It is mere convention that manifesto promises aren't blocked by the Lords.

And thy dont always stick to it - see, eg, Labours 2001 bill to...ban hunting!

things that are in the manifesto fall under the parliament act and it's harder for them to be defeated if introduced

also, to get votes

I suspect their manifesto will basically be ‘crack down on crime through more police, build loads of hospitals and infrastructure/connectivity spending’.

Unless they are insane they’ll have learnt from 2017 when Timothy believed the lead was unassailable and the manifesto was an ideal time to ‘think the unthinkable’.

Particularly given that the Tories are (very sensibly) not going to tell anyone their plans for govt, I am starting to worry that Labour have moved so far towards a Remain position that they will lose seats. Anyone care to tell me I'm wrong and it'll be ok?

Labour scooped up most of the remain leaning voters in 2017 even though they ran on a 'honouring the referendum' ticket because it was assumed the matter was settled. That's no longer the case, and huge swathes of the remain vote have abandoned them for the Lib Dems and Greens because they promise harder remain policies. Labour can lose seats because of losing remain leaning voters, or they can lose seats because of losing leave leaning voters, but as things stand they're losing seats - probably lots of them - unless they can move the conversation off brexit and convince people to vote on other stuff.

Labour scooped up most of the remain leaning voters in 2017 even though they ran on a 'honouring the referendum' ticket because it was assumed the matter was settled. That's no longer the case, and huge swathes of the remain vote have abandoned them for the Lib Dems and Greens because they promise harder remain policies. Labour can lose seats because of losing remain leaning voters, or they can lose seats because of losing leave leaning voters, but as things stand they're losing seats - probably lots of them - unless they can move the conversation off brexit and convince people to vote on other stuff.

Well that sounds realistic but not comforting. Sigh.

Goad the Tories into a shocked "how are yougoing to pay for all these great policies?" debate (they can't resist it) and then the conversation becomes rich vs poor.

Bingo.

Then they’ll just lie and say ‘economic growth’, and the debate shifts to labour’s ‘economic incompetence’.

Anything that threatens the status quo just seems to get lost in the churn.

Well that sounds realistic but not comforting. Sigh.
There's no fantasy position Labour could have taken on Brexit that wouldn't have resulted in a massive loss of support from one side or the other, if people decide to vote purely on their position on Brexit. Their only hope is to make this election about more than brexit. They managed it last time, but as I said, it was assumed brexit was settled then. Much more tricky now.

There's no fantasy position Labour could have taken on Brexit that wouldn't have resulted in a massive loss of support from one side or the other, if people decide to vote purely on their position on Brexit. Their only hope is to make this election about more than brexit. They managed it last time, but as I said, it was assumed brexit was settled then. Much more tricky now.

I think we've done this one before, but the position they had in 2017 worked pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom