Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2019 General Election

An aside about this brexit party decision to contest only non-Tory seats: the 'decision' (sorry Frank) seems to have been falange just 'deciding' last night. It may well have been his game all along, to try and bluff his way into a formal deal with the tories. But regardless, there isn't even a nominal attempt at getting a decision of the wider party. A whole structure set up to do exactly what he wants. What a fucking twat.

Iirc, falange also chooses the candidates. Maybe the whole thing was the got into the 300s but was just too fucking lazy to come up with any more loons. He probably stopped at the point where the next one would have be been George Galloway...

Last edited:
Channel 4 interviewing three MPs that have left their parties for their opinion on the election, Nick Boles & Heidi Allen (ex Tory) and Gisela Stuart (Labour right, leaver), which is basically a Corbyn pile-on. Nice bit of balance...

Channel 4 interviewing three MPs that have left their parties for their opinion on the election, Nick Boles & Heidi Allen (ex Tory) and Gisela Stuart (Labour right, leaver), which is basically a Corbyn pile-on. Nice bit of balance...
1st thing Stuart said was that she still a member of the Labour Party. :facepalm:

Whatever your opinions about either Brexit or Trident, it's a bit of long stretch trying to pretend they are in any way related.
I'm not sure where they're going with these personal attacks on Corbyn, most voters don't give a shit if he met with the IRA or Hamas 30 years ago or whether he is reluctant to press the big button (how is this not a good thing?), Most folks have more important things to worry about can they pay their rent at the end of the month, will their kids get a decent education, how long it takes to see a doctor.
The Tories can't come close on these issues and on the one thing where they could say something meaningful about Labour's woolly and vague mutterings about the top issue of the day they just fall back on their daft slogan of "Get Brexit Done"

Whatever your opinions about either Brexit or Trident, it's a bit of long stretch trying to pretend they are in any way related.
I'm not sure where they're going with these personal attacks on Corbyn, most voters don't give a shit if he met with the IRA or Hamas 30 years ago or whether he is reluctant to press the big button (how is this not a good thing?), Most folks have more important things to worry about can they pay their rent at the end of the month, will their kids get a decent education, how long it takes to see a doctor.
The Tories can't come close on these issues and on the one thing where they could say something meaningful about Labour's woolly and vague mutterings about the top issue of the day they just fall back on their daft slogan of "Get Brexit Done"

TBF the biggest thing linking them together is how Labour have done nothing to actually respond to the questions that get raised. How difficult would it be, for example, to respond to "Would Corbyn push the button?" with "There is no button"?

Iirc, falange also chooses the candidates. Maybe the whole thing was the got into the 300s but was just too fucking lazy to come up with any more loons. He probably stopped at the point where the next one would have be been George Galloway...

nah, he got them all and has pocketed the £100 each they paid. So that’s a cool 300k for grafting his own followers. A grifters gonna grift.

nah, he got them all and has pocketed the £100 each they paid. So that’s a cool 300k for grafting his own followers. A grifters gonna grift.

... and that is on top of the £2.50 a head entrance money to hear the great man speak, or all those people who paid £25 each for the right to be able to say they'd paid the Brexit Party £25.

So, based on a promise from Johnson, Farage is selling the deal to the Leave hardcore, who hated it this morning. If they follow his lead, is that the end of no deal as a political option?

What are you basing that on?

Anecdotally, although in my city (Nottingham) most people voted leave, few people are that bothered about it compared to various other issues. Brexit or no Brexit the city will return 3 Labour MPs as it always does and Broxtowe next door is likely to swing to Labour as well.
I wouldn't bet on it. Neighbouring Mansfield went Tory at the last election after being solidly labour for the previous 96 years. :eek:

People are saying the next parliament will be full of loons of one stripe or another. I say, Iraq war, Afghanistan pointlessness, austerity and ideologically driven privatisation is evidently now 'loon' and we are where you led us. Here.

So thanks for that.

An Englishman's home is his castle. It isn't now so why?

An Englishman's home is is castle. So much in that. The need to secure defences against the depredations of the class system, yet wrapped up in aristocratic aspirations.

An Englishman's home is is castle. So much in that. The need to secure defences against the depredations of the class system, yet wrapped up in aristocratic aspirations.
No, it's actually a put-down. The invading aristos had proper castles, the Normans, but the English had hovels. Nonetheless the English were proud and no matter that a besieging force of two arthritic dogs could bust down a hovel nonetheless an English man's home was his castle. Norman humour.

You seem to take the view that these aren’t significant points. We will have to disagree
I don't think these aren't significant points - I just don't think they are necessarily as significant as you think they are, and I find the flattening of all the Labour heartlands into 'leave seats' from someone who demands nuance in the same breath worth challenging.

There are lots of different types of leave seats. Posh ones in the south of England, rural ones, coastal ones and those in deindustrialised towns in the Midlands, North and Wales.

But it’s entirely legitimate to ask a) the extent to which Labour’s policy shift on Brexit will affect its vote in all of these type of seat and b) if a ‘leave alliance’ where one leave candidate from the BP/Tories runs against Labour what the effect would be and also what happen if the BP/Tories are both competitive in these type of seats.

I‘ll also be interested to see how Labour candidates who voted for Johnson’s deal like Lisa Nandy do.

You seem to take the view that these aren’t significant points. We will have to disagree
there's an interesting article in the mail about the bp declaration and the effect it may have A morale boost for Boris Johnson, but victory is far from certain, writes Professor Philip Cowley | Daily Mail Online

Back
Top Bottom