Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2019 General Election

The Lib Dems have been spending a lot on MRP polling and apparently their polls show them doing well in Two Cities - the Best for Britain MRP (Chris Hanretty has created a spreadsheet of it here) has it as Tories 35 Labour 22 Lib Dems 27, which is still a long way off.

Have Labour even got a candidate there yet?

(actually, I know they don't have a candidate yet 'cause I was looking at the longlist for the constituency last week)

Obviously focus grouped it and factored that any short-term 'reputational' harm is out-weighed by the medium term electoral damage limitation afforded by withholding.
If grieve hadn't got such a parliamentary stick up his arse, he'd publish it himself. He'll have the substantive report, if not the massaged no. 10 version.

Well done for pissing off the Scots sky. :rolleyes:

View attachment 189078

If in any doubt look at the comments underneath.

Debates are usually shit anyway.

I can't vote for the SNP and neither can most other people in the UK, and if you put them in why not Plaid? Or the Greens? Eventually you end up with one of the even more comical 10 speaking heads and two seconds each debates.

Sod that.

Just get 30-60 minutes of each leader on there lonesome getting grilled by the public and answering questions. Got to better than the 5 minute I'm great political rallying cries masquerading as debates the TV channels put on.

Debates are usually shit anyway.

I can't vote for the SNP and neither can most other people in the UK, and if you put them in why not Plaid? Or the Greens? Eventually you end up with one of the even more comical 10 speaking heads and two seconds each debates.

Sod that.

Just get 30-60 minutes of each leader on there lonesome getting grilled by the public and answering questions. Got to better than the 5 minute I'm great political rallying cries masquerading as debates the TV channels put on.
3rd biggest party in the UK, 2nd biggest membership. Libdems are 4th. Swinson can't be PM anyway because of EVEL.

Libdems and Labour don't stand in NI either, only the tories do afaik.

3rd biggest party in the UK, 2nd biggest membership. Libdems are 4th. Swinson can't be PM anyway because of EVEL.

Don't get me wrong, Swinson can do one, but the SNP are as irrelevant as the Lib Dems but for different reasons.

I'd rather not hear from either but the arbitrary decision to include the piss eagle brigade at least makes some sense for an all UK broadcast.

Literally nobody gives a fuck about Norn. It's an embarrassment to the establishment and the Irish really can't afford to deal with it.

What's EVEL?

And Sturgeon can't be PM because she isn't an MP, she's an MSP, whereas Swinson can at least fantasize about it, even though it's never going to happen.

Gove seemed full of coke as he breezed through BBC morning time tv at 0630 then straight onto the today program.

His attacks on JC, as crammed into the programmes made him look unhinged and the BBC completely biased.
It does, they are...but the relentless negative messaging will stick for the tories. We've got 6 more weeks of this.

Don't get me wrong, Swinson can do one, but the SNP are as irrelevant as the Lib Dems but for different reasons...
Can you give some of the reasons why Scotland's representatives, as I say the SNP are the 3rd biggest UK party, are irrelevant...in the UK?

Gove seemed full of coke as he breezed through BBC morning time tv at 0630 then straight onto the today program.

His attacks on JC, as crammed into the programmes made him look unhinged and the BBC completely biased.
Even on Today they were getting a bit tired of him answering every question with "Jeremy Corbyn loves Putin" and saying how great Boris was. It might turn into another "strong and stable" at this rate.

Even on Today they were getting a bit tired of him answering every question with "Jeremy Corbyn loves Putin" and saying how great Boris was. It might turn into another "strong and stable" at this rate.
Suspect they're more likely to carry on with the lines but maybe put Gove back in the cupboard for a while.

What's EVEL?

And Sturgeon can't be PM because she isn't an MP, she's an MSP, whereas Swinson can at least fantasize about it, even though it's never going to happen.
It’s not been tested post EVEL, but there were many comments at the time that MPs for Scottish Westminster constituencies could not now become PM (because of the West Lothian Question: they’d be responsible for laws in England that they aren’t responsible for in their own constituency, due to devolution). It’s something that can’t really be resolved in an asymmetrically devolved state. The solutions can only be found in federal U.K. or independence.

Would be interesting to have some drug and blood alcohol tests done.

Given that they are proposing, reading and voting on policy and making statements that impact millions of lives it is not too big an ask really. I think the likes of Gove/Johnson have already said on record that they took drugs but regret it so there is nothing to fear is there?

It’s not been tested post EVEL, but there were many comments at the time that MPs for Scottish Westminster constituencies could not now become PM (because of the West Lothian Question: they’d be responsible for laws in England that they aren’t responsible for in their own constituency, due to devolution). It’s something that can’t really be resolved in an asymmetrically devolved state. The solutions can only be found in federal U.K. or independence.
It's an interesting constitutional anomaly to mull over on the dark autumnal evenings ahead, but I suggest it's far from the main obstacle Swinson faces in her attempt to become PM ;)

It's an interesting constitutional anomaly to mull over on the dark autumnal evenings ahead, but I suggest it's far from the main obstacle Swinson faces in her attempt to become PM ;)
Well quite. The idea that they’re even likely to overtake the SNP in seat numbers is, I submit, far fetched. I expect all their recent defections to be seatless by Christmas.

the lib dems have constructed yet another obstacle to their success, which is to be ludicrously euphoric and exaggeratedly optimistic about their prospects, which to the uninformed (and indeed to the informed) makes it appear they have taken leave of their senses.
But at least it gives the rest if us a cheap laugh

Unless I'm missing something (not the first time) there's nothing there to say an MP representing a non-English constituency can't be PM, merely that non-English MPs can't vote on exclusively English laws.

It's almost like DexterTCN is talking nonsense, or something :confused:
The news in Scotland at the time was full of MPs and ministers commenting (variously approvingly or disapprovingly) that the implication was very much that no MP for a Scottish constituency could now be PM. It may not have hit radars south of the border, but it certainly did here.

But as I say, that aspect has yet to be tested.

Back
Top Bottom