Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2019 General Election

Nice and neutral of the BBC to have this as their main headline all morning. Aren’t civil servants supposed to be neutral, because there’s no way this statement meets that criteria.

3CA5414B-DAD2-4F2F-96C0-BD267C51AFE6.jpeg

But for which party is the NHS their greatest strength? Hardly neutral to say it shouldn’t be in play. The run-down of services is tangible to everyone, and the party responsible for this does need challenging on it. They don’t get to dictate what issues can and can’t be raised.

I popped onto twitter for the first time in ages and there were a few tweets about the NHS that had been piled on by various bots/Turning Point weirdos quoting the same few stats in favour of the government, and a similar number of bots/racist twats claiming it was all due to immigration overloading the service. They know they’re vulnerable on this and want to close it down when raised.

But for which party is the NHS their greatest strength? Hardly neutral to say it shouldn’t be in play. The run-down of services is tangible to everyone, and the party responsible for this does need challenging on it. They don’t get to dictate what issues can and can’t be raised.

I popped onto twitter for the first time in ages and there were a few tweets about the NHS that had been piled on by various bots/Turning Point weirdos quoting the same few stats in favour of the government, and a similar number of bots/racist twats claiming it was all due to immigration overloading the service. They know they’re vulnerable on this and want to close it down when raised.
Yes, it is utterly absurd to say that a government-funded service should not be an issue in an election.

The key word in that, of course, is 'bosses'. It's not nurses or doctors saying it.

Ironically polls recently have shown Johnson & Corbyn neck & neck on who is most trusted on the NHS, and the latest Survation poll, bearing in mind they were the most accurate at calling the last 2 GE results, shows Johnson is slightly more trusted. :facepalm:

View attachment 189058

https://www.survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/DM-Tables-Oct-30.pdf
interesting they ask which party leader rather than the more usual which party. I bet you'd get quit a different answer if you just asked the latter

Yes, it is utterly absurd to say that a government-funded service should not be an issue in an election.

The key word in that, of course, is 'bosses'. It's not nurses or doctors saying it.

It's also not 'bosses', it's a boss of one part of the NHS, specifically the bit that negotiates between NHS trusts and the DoH.

During the Euro Elections or the Locals (can't remember which) My middle daughter opened the door to a Tory canvasser whilst wearing her nurse's uniform.
When this individual started spouting, Middle told her, "You can see what I'm wearing right? Do you think I am going to vote for you?"

Swinson is just making herself look like a prat and I suspect any judge is unlikely to show her much sympathy. The next PM is going to be either Boris Johnson or Jeremy Corbyn. It could well be (especially if it's the latter) that they need the support of other party leaders to form a government but claiming she has any real chance of being the next PM is out and out delusional.

Swinson is just making herself look like a prat and I suspect any judge is unlikely to show her much sympathy. The next PM is going to be either Boris Johnson or Jeremy Corbyn. It could well be (especially if it's the latter) that they need the support of other party leaders to form a government but claiming she has any real chance of being the next PM is out and out delusional.

She's been claiming the move is sexist.

ETA - just beaten to it by teqniq

The declaration for Cities of London and Westminster constituency is around 3:30am if you want to stay up to see him lose.
I don't have to work the next day so I might very well do, Chuka is actually a credit to the private school system, he has that whiff of self-assured arrogance that so many of them do. He clearly feels that there is a 'name recognition vote' that will vote for him because they recognise his name. (Bit like the Eddie Murphy movie where he scammed his way into Congress because he had the same name as a real candidate who suddenly died)
Someone in the LibDems has made a smart decision in my view by sticking him in a seat that they probably wouldn't expect to have much of a chance. It's a win-win for them. If there is a "Chuka" vote then they take the seat (and they must be as curious as I am), If there isn't then they are rid of him.

Why'd they dump him there? Surely there must be better prospects.
Where in London? Twickenham already had a candidate and they didn't want to provoke a bout of infighting. Cities is an unlikely but doable target, Tory but with a strong remain bent.

The Lib Dems have been spending a lot on MRP polling and apparently their polls show them doing well in Two Cities - the Best for Britain MRP (Chris Hanretty has created a spreadsheet of it here) has it as Tories 35 Labour 22 Lib Dems 27, which is still a long way off.

Back
Top Bottom