Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2019 General Election

Maybe a hint of scots is easier to hear if you're not Scottish. It won't stand out as much for you - you'll notice the Englishness more.
I guess you’re right. I’ve had people tell me I’ve picked up a hint of Mrs LR’s Stoke accent. It wouldn’t surprise me, but she says she can’t hear it.

I guess you’re right. I’ve had people tell me I’ve picked up a hint of Mrs LR’s Stoke accent. It wouldn’t surprise me, but she says she can’t hear it.
I have a hint of Welsh that only some people can hear (and to complicate matters, it's east Gwent, which has much in common with nearby Forest of Dean in England). But to contradict myself a bit, it's often Welsh people who can hear it.

So, DexterTCN posting bollocks again.
Of course...EVEL doesn't mean EVEL and Sky and the BBC are not cutting Scotland's voice out of the televised debates and are not only having leaders registered in England.

But you don't understand where I'm coming from.

I love it. I love that you shit on it and dismiss it. I love that it discriminates against my representatives based on where I live. I've laughed about it with my MP and MSP and friends sitting in the Tower bar.

Many in Scotland are looking forward to this election. Are you?

*blah, blah, blah*

I was referring to this post...

Well everyone else has known about it since 2014, you found out about it this morning.

Mull it over...in the united kingdom parliament there is a law in place to make sure only those in english seats can be prime minister. No Scots, Welsh or NI.

In the UK parliament.

Which has turned out to be bollocks.

Of course...EVEL doesn't mean EVEL and Sky and the BBC are not cutting Scotland's voice out of the televised debates and are not only having leaders registered in England.

But you don't understand where I'm coming from.

I love it. I love that you shit on it and dismiss it. I love that it discriminates against my representatives based on where I live. I've laughed about it with my MP and MSP and friends sitting in the Tower bar.

Many in Scotland are looking forward to this election. Are you?
you are talking drivel, as usual. The law doesn't claim what it claims you mean and leaders dont have to register themselves anywhere. You've copied something, probably from your racist friend, without bothering to check the reality (tho you couldn't give a fuck about the Welsh, so why would you?). 0/10

you are talking drivel, as usual. The law doesn't claim what it claims you mean and leaders dont have to register themselves anywhere. You've copied something, probably from your racist friend, without bothering to check the reality (tho you couldn't give a fuck about the Welsh, so why would you?). 0/10
So if I prove you're wrong about 'giving a fuck' about the Welsh you'll apologise then?

Scots is a dialect, not an accent.

If you hear a hint of anything it would be of a Scottish accent, surely.

Scots is a language with its own dialects. Dialect would be considered a slightly pejorative term even for a smallish language like Scots.

And a native Scots speaker (rather than a Scottish English speaker who would be speaking English with a Scottish accent) trying to speak proper English but with Scots sounds could easily be considered L1 interference rather than a 'Scottish accent' so a 'hint of Scots' could be correct.

What's the level above uberpedant?

So if I prove you're wrong about 'giving a fuck' about the Welsh you'll apologise then?
as soon as you apologise for all your falsehoods, including the one you are currently promoting. EVEL has no effect upon who the PM is, does it?

Scots is a language with its own dialects. Dialect would be considered a slightly pejorative term even for a smallish language like Scots.

And a native Scots speaker (rather than a Scottish English speaker who would be speaking English with a Scottish accent) trying to speak proper English but with Scots sounds could easily be considered L1 interference rather than a 'Scottis accent' so a 'hint of Scots' could be correct.

That’s terrific. Good work. Where is the cut off between dialect and language?

That’s terrific. Good work. Where is the cut off between dialect and language?
" If you can understand it without training, it’s a dialect of your own language; if you can’t, it’s a different language." is quite nice. There isn't one really, though. Languages are more formal, they will have a codified, written, structure, dialects don't need one.

And a native Scots speaker (rather than a Scottish English speaker who would be speaking English with a Scottish accent) trying to speak proper English but with Scots sounds could easily be considered L1 interference rather than a 'Scottish accent' so a 'hint of Scots' could be correct.

ultrapedant

" If you can understand it without training, it’s a dialect of your own language; if you can’t, it’s a different language." is quite nice.
I like that, but you'll get into arguments if you call Norwegian a dialect of Danish on that basis. Also, it's not always symmetrical - a speaker of one dialect/language may understand another dialect/language, but not vice versa.

If you meet all the other criteria. As clearly stated.
There's no criteria son, you made a claim about me and the Welsh and I've offered to prove you wrong. Now you're backtracking like a bitch.

Anyway I'm off to a meeting.

Back
Top Bottom