Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2019 General Election

I've never heard of the ecological fallacy before. This raises a question: is Rob Ford (whoever he is) a cock for using it in a tweet or am I a cock for not having heard of an often used and useful phrase?

I've never heard of the ecological fallacy before. This raises a question: is Rob Ford (whoever he is) a cock for using it in a tweet or am I a cock for not having heard of an often used and useful phrase?

I think it’s very easy to live a long, productive and engaged life without ever running into that term.

Former; I had to look it up here.

Former; I had to look it up here.

I tend to take the view that if you use a term, and I don’t know it, then that doesn’t mean either of us have done anything wrong.

When it comes to politicians who are meant to represent and understand the needs of a large and diverse group of people, I think it’s reasonable to expect them to have some understanding of such things, even if fairly informal and intuitive.

I can only think he was forced into this to avoid a split within the BP leadership. It's the only reason that makes any sense. Ford's language is pretentious but the point he's making is the key one.

Brexit party has only one leader and his name is Farage.

Anyone else is a pyramid scheme buyer.

That was also the case in UKIP. But, as we know, this doesn't mean that there were all sorts of vicious divisions bubbling below the surface. The BP will be split between the ultras who because they are delusional believe that they can dictate to Johnson and those who recognise their leverage and need to deploy it seriously. Farage has to keep them both on board.

I look forward immensely to the 500 candidates they are going to announce on Monday. At least 100 will be certifiable.

Last edited:
I don't think either of you are cocks - Ford is a professor of politics tweeting in a professional capacity, you'd hope a professor of politics might occasionally introduce you to ideas you aren't familiar with otherwise wtf use are they?

He's been banging this particular drum for years - not sure I'm that convinced tbh.

It definitely has all the signs of a good cult
Anyone fancy having a guess at how many will be revealed to be nonces/other forms of sex offenders within 24 hours of announcement?

I'm going for 23.
Brexit Party candidates are the gift that keeps on giving with nonces, sex pests, racists (always popular) Christian fundamentalists and just outright loons.
There will be quite a few that will tick multiple boxes as well.

That was also the case in UKIP. But, as we know, this doesn't mean that there were all sorts of vicious divisions bubbling below the surface. The BP will be split between the ultras who because they are delusional believe that they can dictate to Johnson and those who recognise their leverage and need to deploy it seriously. Farage has to keep them both on board.

I look forward immensely to the 500 candidates they are going to announce on Monday. At least 100 will be certifiable.

No ukip was a slightly more traditional setup than the Brexit party, with established cliques and factions. Farage got in charge and became the front man but he didn't build it so there were elements not loyal to him or with own agenda behind the frothy madman despite him coming to become indelibly linked with it.

BP is a bunch of investors fronting Farage and then a plethora of people either getting scammed for donations or occasionally loaned cash to stand for seats. It's very much a business.

That a whole can be defined by a part, I think.

E2A: No, I have that the wrong way round. It's that features of an individual specimen of anything can be inferred from data about the collective whole to which that individual specimen belongs.

Ecological fallacy - Wikipedia
Yep, agree with many that Ford could have said that just because numbers of Lab voters live in Leave voting areas does not necessarily mean that they were Leave or Leave enough to change their tribal loyalty.

Back
Top Bottom