Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2019 General Election

'Knowing' of politics has nothing to do with education*, and it is dangerous to create such a link

*might even say the same for history
Know exactly where that's coming from, but there is a long working class tradition of struggling for education that facilitates freedom of thought, something that neoliberal state education policy has determinedly attempted to undermine.
No coincidence that economic awareness became business studies, anything other than STEM at HE lost funding etc.

Know exactly where that's coming from, but there is a long working class tradition of struggling for education that facilitates freedom of thought, something that neoliberal state education policy has determinedly attempted to undermine.
But that is not a neo-liberal thing it goes back well beyond that. The state and capital have always attempted to use its cultural power to attack labours political knowledge. The splitting of economics from politics and the limiting of politics to parliamentary politics being prime examples.

I know there's been quite a deal of mocking those (predominantly Scots nationalist) MPs complaining that the evenings are dark in November/December, but there has to be a real issue around evening canvassing sessions.
My previous experience of CLPs (albeit some time ago) was that evening doorstep canvassing sessions were an essential part of Voter ID, but they tended to draw to a close as dusk fell...with a concern that activists shouldn't really be knocking up potentially elderly/vulnerable residents in the pitch dark.
Gotta say I've been on the phone to my very elderly old Mum to tell her/remind her not to respond to any callers after dark.
Think this could be a real issue, setting aside the fact that there will be many party activists that themselves may feel less than comfortable heading off into less familiar parts of their constituencies/other constituencies in the pitch dark. Much harder for them to get of the sofa once its dark, rather than those bright, sunny evenings of May/June.

But that is not a neo-liberal thing it goes back well beyond that. The state and capital have always attempted to use its cultural power to attack labours political knowledge. The splitting of economics from politics and the limiting of politics to parliamentary politics being prime examples.
Indeed.
One classic example being the bastard iron-masters of the early iron industry (on the periphery of the South Wales coalfield) who, out of the very christian kindness of their hearts, set up schools for the little ones. They insisted the curriculum included the 3 rs; reading, writing & religion. They didn't want the poor fuckers to be able to work out how they were being twisted of their meagre wages in the company tally shop.

I know there's been quite a deal of mocking those (predominantly Scots nationalist) MPs complaining that the evenings are dark in November/December, but there has to be a real issue around evening canvassing sessions.
My previous experience of CLPs (albeit some time ago) was that evening doorstep canvassing sessions were an essential part of Voter ID, but they tended to draw to a close as dusk fell...with a concern that activists shouldn't really be knocking up potentially elderly/vulnerable residents in the pitch dark.
Gotta say I've been on the phone to my very elderly old Mum to tell her/remind her not to respond to any callers after dark.
Think this could be a real issue, setting aside the fact that there will be many party activists that themselves may feel less than comfortable heading off into less familiar parts of their constituencies/other constituencies in the pitch dark. Much harder for them to get of the sofa once its dark, rather than those bright, sunny evenings of May/June.

upload_2019-10-30_10-11-37.png

Party activists might decide to go out in groups for safety - and it's a terrifyingly small step from that to them deciding to sing Christmas carols while they're at it.
That's an interesting point.
i'd assume that parties are under some sort of duty of care towards their member activists that go out and about campaigning for them and insisting that they should no go alone?
Last time (2018 locals) I noticed that the vermin & yellow vermin that I saw out doorstepping were doing so on their own using their phones instead of the paper sheets I remember. Presumably some party app allows this 'lone wolf' campaigning?

a little rant

When the likes of Blair, Cameron or May became PM they brought with them a mainsteam political apparatus and an entourage well versed in how power works. Corbyn and Johnson are made differently, they're mavericks with careers based on positioning themselves as irritants outside that mainstream. Johnson more recently discovered 'principles' than Corbyn but has brought far more flamboyance to his performance. The entourages they've brought with them don't have the grounding in power, they're also outsiders with the skillset to match It shows, every time one of the goes off like Patel's mate did last night, or Rees Mogg lounges looking aloof, or Cummings has an aide frogmarched out or last week's Chancellor has the whip withdrawn, or they all pretend not signing a letter amounts to dying in a ditch.

Thing is, the attacks against Corbyn- from anti-semitism to consorting with terrorists- have been blunted by endless repetition and he/they have learnt how to handle them. Johnson is vulnerable on corruption, his sex life and his disregard for anything approaching truth, his rotten performance as Mayor, as foreign secretary and as PM. This shortlived government has already acquired a reputation for abuse of power, autocratic behaviour, breaking the law, abandoning promises, wasting money and being too frit to face scrutiny, from the WAB itself through the economic impact assessment to the budget statement. And on being turncoats, solid Brexiteers who took a principled stance on the 39billion, Irish sea border, unionism etc until they got some power at which point they abandoned all that pointless baggage, shafted their allies and settled in to arrogant, boorish entitlement.

In any normal election they might be seen as there for the taking, but this time it apparently suits most of the competing parties- Brexit party, Libdems, Greens, Plaid- to promote Johnson's notion that, as someone said, this one is a proxy referendum on Brexit. I hope it's not, if ever there was a time to talk about food banks and the NHS and student finance and school whip-rounds and climate change and air quality and landlordism and and and... then surely the abject and utter failure of the third disfunctional tory government in as many years is it.

No coincidence that economic awareness became business studies, anything other than STEM at HE lost funding etc.

Libraries gave us power.

a little rant

When the likes of Blair, Cameron or May became PM they brought with them a mainsteam political apparatus and an entourage well versed in how power works. Corbyn and Johnson are made differently, they're mavericks with careers based on positioning themselves as irritants outside that mainstream. Johnson more recently discovered 'principles' than Corbyn but has brought far more flamboyance to his performance. The entourages they've brought with them don't have the grounding in power, they're also outsiders with the skillset to match It shows, every time one of the goes off like Patel's mate did last night, or Rees Mogg lounges looking aloof, or Cummings has an aide frogmarched out or last week's Chancellor has the whip withdrawn, or they all pretend not signing a letter amounts to dying in a ditch.

Thing is, the attacks against Corbyn- from anti-semitism to consorting with terrorists- have been blunted by endless repetition and he/they have learnt how to handle them. Johnson is vulnerable on corruption, his sex life and his disregard for anything approaching truth, his rotten performance as Mayor, as foreign secretary and as PM. This shortlived government has already acquired a reputation for abuse of power, autocratic behaviour, breaking the law, abandoning promises, wasting money and being too frit to face scrutiny, from the WAB itself through the economic impact assessment to the budget statement. And on being turncoats, solid Brexiteers who took a principled stance on the 39billion, Irish sea border, unionism etc until they got some power at which point they abandoned all that pointless baggage, shafted their allies and settled in to arrogant, boorish entitlement.

In any normal election they might be seen as there for the taking, but this time it apparently suits most of the competing parties- Brexit party, Libdems, Greens, Plaid- to promote Johnson's notion that, as someone said, this one is a proxy referendum on Brexit. I hope it's not, if ever there was a time to talk about food banks and the NHS and student finance and school whip-rounds and climate change and air quality and landlordism and and and... then surely the abject and utter failure of the third disfunctional tory government in as many years is it.
Yep. Labour lose on Brexit, not just because they have been shit on brexit, but a focus on brexit stops the election getting onto everything that's shit about Johnson and the Tories.

I'm hoping for lots of this...

latest

Back
Top Bottom