Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2017 General Election campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
2tY8K.png

Foda-se! I reaaally hope those two mean they know something we don't. :mad: :(
Back campainning tomorrow anyway.

Wording of the Sun thing sounds like tenuous links being drawn. Apparently telegraph also going on about him being on Special Branch's watch list for twenty years, like anyone wasn't back then :D

I'm writing out a complaint to the PCC** just now about both those front pages. I'd hope others are doing the same.

/edit - IPSO, not the PCC

Judge a man on what he does, not what he has done.

are these fuckers unable to haul themselves out of the mud of the past ?

It isn't even "what he has done". The S*n's entire headline is that he gave a speech at an event, in Trafalgar Square, at which al-Muhajiroun members were present. That is the entirity of it.

Yup- its just the dredging up of irrelevant shite from the past and presenting it out of context that fucks me off- constant looking back, no examination of the present

It isn't even "what he has done". The S*n's entire headline is that he gave a speech at an event, in Trafalgar Square, at which al-Muhajiroun members were present. That is the entirity of it.

Yeah reading the front page was a very "is that it?" experience, I'm surprised they've not got something a bit more impressive for the day before the election tbh.

Not sure these aren't really going to help the Tories, I mean there so mad that I can see them being a turnoff to undecided/swing voters.

Surely would have helped the Tories more if they'd turned the dial down a bit, to say 8 frogs in the box rather than 11.

Yeah, I agree. This will mainly persuade people who were already persuaded, and some of those might have second thoughts if they actually read the Sun article. The number of people who will just accept something because they see it on the front page of a tabloid is actually pretty small, I reckon, and smaller still if you count only those people who will vote.

If those Sun and Mail front pages are anything to go by, i'll be on-course to win a bet at work :D

(Wagered that the right wing press would go into full-on hysteria overdrive by wednesday over corbo after the London attack reportage had begun to tail off...)

While fascist headlines may have less effect than they used to, they still shout to us from 10,000s of newstands, not just people who buy them. It is thus impactful on mindset. They also frame the nature of "debate" on trash like BBC and other "news" outlets, for whom a significant amount "background research" incorporates reading such headlines. That's why billionaires still pour money into outlets which are decreasing in profitability. They are buying influence. So yes, it's probably less effective than it used to be but it is still probably effective.
In politics, especially first past the post, you don't have to fool many people to make a big difference. I still hear that "terrorist sympathiser" line used quite a lot against Corbyn. Obviously Tories can actually arm islamic extremists and that's ok, because Hitler-licking rags didn't put it on the front page.

I think those headlines are going to blow right up in their face. That's treating the electorate like complete and utter mugs.

Top two comments on the sun article:

What a non story full of inaccuracies. The current, relevant news is that tonight Corbyn gave a fantastic speech at a rally attended by thousands, but the Sun wouldn't want to tell thh truth would they? They are digging up events from 15 years ago. Well 15 years ago this paper was hacking the phones of murdered schoolgirls and dead soldiers families.

This is utterly despicable from the sun to target for Corbyn when clearly he opposes them and anyone who spreads hatred since Corbyn is an activity who promotes peace. Corbyn is targetted by the sun just because he is targeting rich and want an equal society. I for one understand that when it comes to terrorists it is unacceptable and supporting such evil is out of question and so does Corbyn.

Top two comments on the mail article:

Daily Mail in panic!. tomorrow an article telling how Corbin eat kids for breakfast. How he was a KGB agent but quitted to become a Al Qaeda member

has he got you rattled DM?

eta: Sun readers seemingly more articulate than Daily Mail readers. :hmm:

I'd like to assume that these headlines show that they really are rattled but im sure we'd see them or similar no matter how things were looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom