Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2017 General Election campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest this last bit of 'I will rip up human rights legislation to fight terror' stuff is exactly what a lot of people I have spoken to in recent days are probably after. I think it's going to work very well for them.

I will do, if its not challenged. Corbyn has to come out and point out that we have had all manner of legislation like that proposed, and voted in, since 9/11 and we are less safe now than we were then. Superficially "tough" legislation is worse than doing nothing if its not properly targeted or resourced. We have to do things better than we have been doing under her watch.

This is exactly what we should expect, no? There's a lot of vested interests in people feeling downhearted and staying at home, no. Not that I don't think it's likely too much of a hill to climb, but it's even harder if people give up.

I don't know what to think. I still wonder what might have happened to the polls without the terrorist attacks, those few more days of momentum building, then I feel terribly guilty for thinking that way. :(
Yes of course - I was posting to draw attention to the concerted effort to make everyone give up hope I'd observed rather than saying people should give up hope. That said, the most likely result remains a tory win - but that hasn't really ever changed.

aO74arj.jpg

Someone is angling for a coalition...

Nicola Sturgeon says 'difficult' Theresa May will struggle with Brexit talks

• Admitted that she would not be pushing to hold a second independence referendum until the future trading relationship between the UK and EU has been decided, saying “none of us actually know” when that will be.
  • Said she believed May would emerge from this election weakened whatever the actual result, and was probably wishing she had never called it.
  • Said she believed that she was closer politically to Jeremy Corbyn on a number of policies than Scotland’s Labour leader, Kezia Dugdale, was.

On the news on t'telly box. Main story may be a little different to the initial bongs. Just waiting for it as I can't see owt on the net yet.

That's standard stuff though, see May on Hammond. They, quite sensibly, don't want to say yes or no as then journalists will go through everybody in the (shadow) cabinet.
Yup. They used to say "s/he has my full support" until that became code for "s/he's going". Now they refuse to confirm or deny.

where are you reading this?

All I read was that Corbyn had refused to say whether he'd appoint her as HS - and the same for the rest of his cabinet.

I saw no nuance, or nudge-nudge, or anything to suggest that he's given her the heave-ho any more than he'd given John McDonnell his cards.

All I read was that Corbyn had refused to say whether he'd appoint her as HS - and the same for the rest of his cabinet.

I saw no nuance, or nudge-nudge, or anything to suggest that he's given her the heave-ho any more than he'd given John McDonnell his cards.
yeah, I read the same thing earlier - it was a q specifically referring to Abbott though, and is a different answer to the one he gave the other night where he confirmed the top team would remain as it currently is.

He would get rid, in the event of winning. But it's unlikely he'll get rid tonight.

Sorry for any distress or confusion I may have caused. Plus, apologies for any stupidity on my part. Mainly the latter :facepalm:
. .

That's standard stuff though, see May on Hammond. They, quite sensibly, don't want to say yes or no as then journalists will go through everybody in the (shadow) cabinet.

He did say, in the same interview, that Starmer, Thornberry and Gardiner would take the lead on Brexit negotiations though. The implication was very clear.

On cabinet positions though could be some interesting politicking if the Tories do get in but with May, relatively weakened. Lots of reports about her wanting to get Gummer in and move Johnson, with a majority of 100+ she could have afforded to piss a few people off. Much more difficult with a majority of 40 and MPs unhappy with her.

Just went to the Corbyn rally in Brum. Was big, diverse and young. As with Bernie Sanders it really is young women driving so much of this. Still, probably not big enough. I am starting to get a sinking feeling about Thursday.

I think the Corbyn project has failed to engage the unegaged in the way that it probably needs to in order to win.
Yep. The prospect of another 5 years of full on neo-liberalism has almost got me to the point of forgetting my core politics, to the point where I'm cheering Corbyn on (and I do desperately want Labour to stop may getting a majority). But ultimately that's the issue, that's what's actually wrong with Corbynism. It hasn't engaged with the disengaged and it hasn't done enough to stop dealing with the world in the way you'd expect any old institutional centre left party to behave. Yes, he's been fire fighting a tidal wave of media hostility and treachery from his own MPs. But ultimately Labour hasn't engaged the disengaged because it hasn't even spoken to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom