Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2017 General Election campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just went to the Corbyn rally in Brum. Was big, diverse and young. As with Bernie Sanders it really is young women driving so much of this. Still, probably not big enough. I am starting to get a sinking feeling about Thursday.

I think the Corbyn project has failed to engage the unegaged in the way that it probably needs to in order to win.
We'll see. But it will be a fucking shit five years if tm wins big

Still, some nice moments. Deliveroo people stopped people on the way back from the rally, showing their support for Corbyn.

If that quote from The Times is true (that Corbyn himself had to call her asking her to please not do any more interviews and she just went on anyhow) then surely Abbott just needs to be sacked now, she's a gift for the Tories and nobody can reasonably think she's up to the job of home secretary.
Yes because sacking the shadow home sec a day and half before the election is definitely going to help Labour.

I am starting to get a sinking feeling about Thursday.
there's been a noticeable push on 'lose hope' today. All of a sudden the tories are apparently not panicking at all and are calmly campaigning to win in safe labour seats, the maquis are limbering up for a heavy defeat and a new challenge, there's been a lot of analysis dropped today pointing to an easy tory win... They've decided what's going to happen, and will try to make it so. Maybe they're right. Maybe not.

I don't know what's real anymore though tbh.

Yes because sacking the shadow home sec a day and half before the election is definitely going to help Labour.

He's in a bind - he can't sack her 36 hours before the polls open because that looks like chaos, but there will be people, and not a few, who don't vote Labour because of the prospect of Diane Abbott as Home Secretary by lunchtime on Friday.

I'm assuming her monumental ego won't accept Corbyns team deciding she'll sit Corbyns first cabinet out for 'health reasons'..?

If that quote from The Times is true (that Corbyn himself had to call her asking her to please not do any more interviews and she just went on anyhow) then surely Abbott just needs to be sacked now, she's a gift for the Tories and nobody can reasonably think she's up to the job of home secretary.

Looking at her recent performance, I suspect she is in fact seriously ill (but doesn't know it). [ Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional]

A few years back, we got a new boss in. He saw an older, but long standing, employee shambling along the corridor, leaning on the wall, and sacked him on the spot for drunkenness. Dead two weeks later with a brain tumour.

there's been a noticeable push on 'lose hope' today. All of a sudden the tories are apparently not panicking at all and are calmly campaigning to win in safe labour seats, the maquis are limbering up for a heavy defeat and a new challenge, there's been a lot of analysis dropped today pointing to an easy tory win... They've decided what's going to happen, and will try to make it so. Maybe they're right. Maybe not.

Some similar stuff in the Irish Times about Wakefield
Tories target Labour seats in Thatcher-hating Yorkshire

Also, I know one Tory lad, he's very confident. He's not crowing but he has no doubts that the tories will have a workable majority.

Just went to the Corbyn rally in Brum. Was big, diverse and young. As with Bernie Sanders it really is young women driving so much of this. Still, probably not big enough. I am starting to get a sinking feeling about Thursday.

I think the Corbyn project has failed to engage the unegaged in the way that it probably needs to in order to win.

Come on mate, what's with the hard on for the opposite take? If Corb can manage 34% of the vote (which is at the modest end of what is being predicted) then that's a pretty impressive showing after just two short years, especially when you consider how universally hostile the mainstream media has been towards him. remember, Ed managed a mere 1% increase in vote share after 5 long years of Tory austerity. Corb will have managed over double than in less than half the time.

Come on mate, what's with the hard on for the opposite take? If Corb can manage 34% of the vote (which is at the modest end of what is being predicted) then that's a pretty impressive showing after just two short years, especially when you consider how universally hostile the mainstream media has been towards him. remember, Ed managed a mere 1% increase in vote share after 5 long years of Tory austerity. Corb will have managed over double than in less than half the time.

I don't disagree with any of this, what the Labour leadership have achieved despite the party and the entire media is nothing short of astonishing. I did not think it could happen, I am sure that they thought it could never happen either. It still isn't enough though.

One thing is for certain, I did not know that I could hate the Tories any more than I already did, but there was some real hidden potential there waiting to be unlocked and has been by this election.
Oh yes, when they do win this shamefully negative campaign it will come with a considerable reservoir of latent resistance.

I feel deflated today too, possibly because the bits of news I've seen have been relentlessly pro-Tory today. Just look at the BBC's election page right now - Election 2017 - BBC News of the stories on the top part of the screen there are three about May's statements / policies and just one about Labour - and of course it's Diane's illness.

But I guess this last three days is bound to be like this, a final war of attrition. I reckon Labour will have hordes of activists out on Thursday - I've signed up to do stuff which is really very very unlike me and I've heard the local party is a bit overwhelmed with offers of help.

Some weirdness at work and home today:

First, a workmate who lives in Harrow said that she plans to vote for the Greens because May supports fox hunting. When I asked her whether she's considered voting for Labour she said she finds Corbyn uninspiring.

Then another workmate, lives in St Albans, said he already voted by post for a Lib Dem candidate because all he wants is to see Anne Maine out. When I asked why did he not consider voting for Labour, he just shrugged.

Another woman from the office who lives in Cambridge heard us and said Why the hell should I vote for Labour? I did not dare to respond.

Later when I came home, I found a Tory flyer, which is kinda weird because I've lived in Dulwich & West Norwood ctcy since 2012, and the Tories have never bothered campaigning here.

To be honest this last bit of 'I will rip up human rights legislation to fight terror' stuff is exactly what a lot of people I have spoken to in recent days are probably after. I think it's going to work very well for them.

Just doesn't seem enough time left to gather a last head of steam together for the final 5% push I think is needed.

To be honest this last bit of 'I will rip up human rights legislation to fight terror' stuff is exactly what a lot of people I have spoken to in recent days are probably after. I think it's going to work very well for them.
Those people already think they are getting that with Brexit.

This is exactly what we should expect, no? There's a lot of vested interests in people feeling downhearted and staying at home, no. Not that I don't think it's likely too much of a hill to climb, but it's even harder if people give up.

I don't know what to think. I still wonder what might have happened to the polls without the terrorist attacks, those few more days of momentum building, then I feel terribly guilty for thinking that way. :(

Those people already think they are getting that with Brexit.

Yes, but there may some votes that it will take from UKIP.

OTOH, she may be leaving herself open to having to climb down, or being seen to be full of shit. Her manifesto commits her to staying in the ECHR for the full parliament. So what does she actually mean?

Yes, but there may some votes that it will take from UKIP.

OTOH, she may be leaving herself open to having to climb down, or being seen to be full of shit. Her manifesto commits her to staying in the ECHR for the full parliament. So what does she actually mean?
We already know that some kippers will turn blue, though. that's nothing new.

I don't think this will be a deciding factor.

It's just empty rhetoric compared to the reality when you have actual coppers coming out and accusing the tories of lying and of fucking up the police service. That's going to be a stronger argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom