Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2017 General Election campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad always votes Labour and will do again even though he doesn't think much of Corbyn (he hated the Blairites even more, just finds Corbyn a bit useless), mum always Labour again, siblings too I expect though not checked.

Does blaming TM over police cuts make much sense in this case, though? Given that they had these guys shot within 8 minutes of receiving the emergency call, it's hard to argue they botched it this time...

It's partly about mood music. Detail doesn't seem to work so effectively these days, especially when advancing a left-tilted case.

The hard-right get all sorts of propaganda victories out of more spurious stuff than this. It's not ideal, but there's 3 days left and a non level playing field.

People know that all emergency services have been attacked by tories, they know that such services are vital to national security. There's a reasonable link to make there. On top of state encouragement of islamic terror (LIFG) when May was Home Sec, and arming of the extremist Saudis, this deserves to be strongest political issue at the moment. The tories reputation on security can and should be torn to shreds.

Has she taken any action yet? Every hour that passes without her challenging him marks her out as weaker and shitter - must be worth a few percentage points by itself. I hope he carries on...

Trump accidentally going in to bat for Corbo is hilarious. He better had fly in for a visit - Wednesday would be best.

Corbyn didnt bottle mentioning Saudi Arabia.

(brom bbc live updates page Latest updates: London attack - BBC News )
If Labour are going to go with this - and I think they should - they should really go for it (particularly the Saudi thing). Shouldn't be going on about 'difficult conversations', should be going for the jugular on May selling weapons to the very people who are blowing us up. I realise that's high risk and there's the added problem of being able to link Saudi to specific attacks. But there's probably a form of words to be had that gets round that but also manages to go for it.

Has she taken any action yet? Every hour that passes without her challenging him marks her out as weaker and shitter - must be worth a few percentage points by itself. I hope he carries on...

Not that I can see. The usual evasive shit about not being afraid to say if Trump is wrong. She never does though so either she's an outright liar or agrees with Trump.

Can Labour go for the Saudi thing though?

Can they say, "we will stop this deal"? "We won't allow any more deals?"

No government has in the past, have they? And - tragic though it is - defence jobs are a big deal in some constituencies and Tories will play it as protecting jobs.

I think May will just ignore Trump and call it a "distraction" from the serious job of battling terrorism.

How that plays with the electorate, who knows?

If I were running Labour's campaign I'd go more with the police numbers (and other emergency services). I hate to be so cynical, but first responders are the heroes of such events, and have huge public approval in troubled times. Plus it's uncomplicated and would play well in any case - middle east foreign policy and trade policy less so.

No government has in the past, have they? And - tragic though it is - defence jobs are a big deal in some constituencies and Tories will play it as protecting jobs.

I think May will just ignore Trump and call it a "distraction" from the serious job of battling terrorism.

How that plays with the electorate, who knows?

If I were running Labour's campaign I'd go more with the police numbers (and other emergency services). I hate to be so cynical, but first responders are the heroes of such events, and have huge public approval in troubled times. Plus it's uncomplicated and would play well in any case - middle east foreign policy and trade policy less so.

That line of his about the need to have difficult conversations about them is all he should say on that subject - everyone recognizes what that means, and almost everyone realises that this Government didn't and wouldn't have those conversations with them.

That line of his about the need to have difficult conversations about them is all he should say on that subject - everyone recognizes what that means, and almost everyone realises that this Government didn't and wouldn't have those conversations with them.
I think he should be going with a 'you've got blood on your hands line'. That would be about the Saudi thing even more than Libya. even if the link is more specific in terms of the Manchester bomber. Now, I recognise that's very likely to be bad advice*. To make that kind of accusation it would have to be well documented and it would have to be a planned assault - and there's no time for that. It could well make things worse. I'm just not sure about the 'everyone realises that' bit of what you say. People do realise the tories are in bed with every kind of monster on the world stage, but don't necessarily twig the connection in terms of Saudi exporting terrorism. So, if Labour want to make this an intervention that has some bearing on Thursday's result, they need to do something dramatic. Should just add, I don't mean this in terms of some kind of cynical attempt to get Corbyn as PM, it's the other side of the coin, taking a chance to hurt the kind of scum who would sell anything to anyone, regardless of end results.

* edit: I realise my advice is like telling a boxer who is way behind on points that they need to 'come out swinging' for the last round. Slight chance it will work, but he's as likely to take one in the mush himself. It's the sort of work that should have been built up over the last 18 months had Labour been a functioning party. Hmmm, who was the shadow foreign secretary at the time who could have been doing this....

hilary-benn-mp-bndy46.jpg

Last edited:

They can certainly call a review and look for alternative uses of those skills and resources. What does it really say about our "advanced and successful" economy if we have to do that kind of thing for money?

The idea that we should not be arming Islamic extremists is a no-brainer for people across the spectrum.

Seeing Sturgeon on the BBC audience thing...Really doesn't look good for them (the SNP) and fear for the seats the Tories will mop up there :(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom