Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2017 General Election campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been out canvassing in Croydon Central today with some Urbs. Swing. Only 150 ish votes between them in 2015. Our candidate is brilliant as well. If anyone wants to spend some of next weekend with us please give me a shout.

18738555_1178683838944014_6569819128385477102_o.jpg

:D

sex sells and those expanses of young, toned female flesh sell her as attractive, desirable and neither weak nor wobbly.

Selling her on weak and wobbly flesh (ie flabby, or perhaps elderly) would be equally inappropriate.

sex sells and those expanses of young, toned female flesh sell her as attractive, desirable and neither weak nor wobbly.

Selling her on weak and wobbly flesh (ie flabby, or perhaps elderly) would be equally inappropriate.
It literally depicts May as a superhero. It's awful

It literally depicts May as a superhero. It's awful
Have ye forgotten Vatman?

images

This one was even worse: it even says 'vote conservative', and apparently a lot of voters saw it and thought it was a Tory advert selling Lamont as a superhero.

Have ye forgotten Vatman?

images

This one was even worse: it even says 'vote conservative', and apparently a lot of voters saw it and thought it was a Tory advert selling Lamont as a superhero.
Saw some posters at a festival this weekend that had "Vote Conservative to destroy the NHS; vote Labour to save it". Wasn't too sure about those either because the first bit at the top of the poster says "Vote Conservative"

Aside from the sexism, like Vatman before it, it is the product of a mind that thinks that superheroes are ipso facto infra dig, an Observer reader's idea of what counts as legitimate culture, and what does not. Which is understandable in 1992, but in 2017?

(but I take it this "Blunder Woman" thing isn't an official LP artwork?)

Aside from the sexism, like Vatman before it, it is the product of a mind that thinks that superheroes are ipso facto infra dig, an Observer reader's idea of what counts as legitimate culture, and what does not. Which is understandable in 1992, but in 2017?

Doubt it, just the sort of thing that gets shared on facebook for giggles. Still rubbish

If you click on the image it will take you to the page that originally posted it, but they don't seem to know where it came from either. Judging by the comments it's had a mixed reception there too. I am guessing the Wonder Woman image was chosen by whoever created it as there's a topical element to it in respect of the new film.

e2a oops sorry no it won't I did a screenshot. Here is the link

Last edited:
This is worth sharing towards neutral types:

From one of our American cousins on learning of the Manchester bombing:

"After reading this morning's terrible news, it struck me my friends in the UK need to hear something many Brits may not have considered.

If the Manchester Arena bombing had happened in the US, every family with a dead or injured member would begin receiving bills in the coming days. Parents who lost their children would get a detailed and unadorned list of services provided by the medics that tried to save their relations' lives. And they would be expected to start making payments immediately.

While they mourned heartbreaking losses, American families would be billed for the ambulance rides, morphine, CPR, anesthesia. They would be expected to pony up for surgeries that were unsuccessful, medication that didn't work, and the time the anesthesiologist spent trying to keep their children comfortable during major procedures. They would continue to receive those bills for month upon month after the death of their children.

Many families would set up GoFundMe accounts to pay for the medical expenses of their deceased child. The bills would run in to the hundreds of thousands, so even the best-funded account would only pay a fraction. The parents might have to sell their homes while trying to wrap their minds around the needless loss of their children. Ultimately, many would declare bankruptcy: who has time to pore over bills, fight the constant inaccuracies, totaling hundreds or thousands of dollars, when they're battling depression and anger?

Think about that. It's the kind of society you're really signing up for when you vote for a party that wants to privatise your healthcare. Please don't make that mistake."

That really was something , really showed his true colours trying to shout over the labour guy and not answering questions , he was looking desperate

This is worth sharing towards neutral types:

From one of our American cousins on learning of the Manchester bombing:

"After reading this morning's terrible news, it struck me my friends in the UK need to hear something many Brits may not have considered.

If the Manchester Arena bombing had happened in the US, every family with a dead or injured member would begin receiving bills in the coming days. Parents who lost their children would get a detailed and unadorned list of services provided by the medics that tried to save their relations' lives. And they would be expected to start making payments immediately.

While they mourned heartbreaking losses, American families would be billed for the ambulance rides, morphine, CPR, anesthesia. They would be expected to pony up for surgeries that were unsuccessful, medication that didn't work, and the time the anesthesiologist spent trying to keep their children comfortable during major procedures. They would continue to receive those bills for month upon month after the death of their children.

Many families would set up GoFundMe accounts to pay for the medical expenses of their deceased child. The bills would run in to the hundreds of thousands, so even the best-funded account would only pay a fraction. The parents might have to sell their homes while trying to wrap their minds around the needless loss of their children. Ultimately, many would declare bankruptcy: who has time to pore over bills, fight the constant inaccuracies, totaling hundreds or thousands of dollars, when they're battling depression and anger?

Think about that. It's the kind of society you're really signing up for when you vote for a party that wants to privatise your healthcare. Please don't make that mistake."

Thank you for sharing that. I've posted it on twitter, anonymously of course (as in you anonymous, not me).

Fuck anyone who says we shouldn't use Manchester to score political points. What happened there was political. Our response to it is political.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom