Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2017 General Election campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to Chatham House, Britain's generational split is as follows.

Labour
18-24 59%
65+ 19%

Conservative
18-24 19%
65+ 67%

So you see it's imperative to get out the youth vote.

Also start looking out for some deals, like say, a Groupon voucher for day trip away to Bath for your Nan. Because you love her that's why. Nope can't think of anything else happening on the 8th. It'll be a nice surprise. Bring some of your friends. Bring all of them.

Last edited:
I've long been of the opinion that while Labour/Lib Dem/Green signs are an indicator of likely vote share in a given area, the lack of Tory signs rarely means a thing. They don't often like advertising their perversions

Plenty of Tory signs on farmland in Tory safe seats. Can't remember the last time I saw one in a garden. Perhaps they think rent-a-mobs would throw things at their windows or something.

According to Chatham House, Britain's generational split is as follows.

Labour
18-24 59%
65+ 19%

Conservative
18-24 19%
65+ 67%

Also start looking out for some deals, like say, a Groupon voucher for day trip away to Bath for your Nan. Because you love her that's why. Nope can't think of anything else happening on the 8th. It'll be a nice surprise. Bring some of your friends. Bring all of them.
This is where Labour's large membership should* have been focused - getting young people canvassed and registered.

*I say should, they could have been, but I haven't heard much about it.

Shifty look fielding all those attack lines but it all seemed to be stuff we've had ad nauseam for years.

If no one has done an academic paper on the correlation between signs and vote share then someone should.

A lot of commentators in the US mentioned a lack of Clinton signs as being a key indicator of lack of enthusiasm for her candidacy.

I predict a slight dip in the polls for Corbyn after that interview - nothing good came out of it, but the stuff that was 'bad' was known about anyway and he handled it pretty well, I guess.

What I don't understand is how he fails to say the obvious(?) things when he's asked difficult questions:

Q: "You voted against Trident, so that means you don't support it, right?"
A: "I voted against it because I personally want a nuclear-free world, but I'm the leader of the party to represent the wishes of the public, not to dictate. And so I will support Trident as our manifesto says"

etc, etc.

It didn't work in Berwick, for John Wilkes, the eighteenth Century version of Russell Brand.

. In 1754, at the suggestion of Earl Temple, Wilkes stood for election to Parliament for Berwick-upon-Tweed—unsuccessfully, despite his bribing a captain to land a shipload of opposition voters from London in Norway instead of at Berwick.

John Wilkes | British journalist and politician

He did say that albeit not in those words though. It's an annoying habit that 'tough' interviewer's have. Why won't you say these exact words I put in your mouth?

It didn't work in Berwick, for John Wilkes, the eighteenth Century version of Russell Brand.

John Wilkes | British journalist and politician

So basically an 18th century Nigel Farage then

Wilkes was extremely ugly, with a hideous squint,

but had a charm that carried all before it. He boasted that it “took him only half an hour to talk away his face” and would declare that “a month’s start of his rival on account of his face” would secure him the conquest in any love affair.

Well maybe not.

So basically an 18th century Nigel Farage then

Well maybe not.

Certainly not, a rather debauched and slightly corrupt chap with his heart in the right place, Jailed for standing up for our right to religious and political liberty and a nice cup of tea.

images

The Tories had his supporters massacred in Southwark for protesting against his imprisonment. I wouldn't put it past them again if Corbyn does too well and Martial Law has to be introduced.
Massacre of St George's Fields - Wikipedia

ha ha - fallon gets ambushed again!

You have to feel for him. Anywhere else in politics to be called an "attack dog" would be an honourable title, but not when you work for people who shoot them when they aren't able to run with the pack any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom