Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2017 General Election campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
You say that,. but the statement quoted above (#1305) was surely pretty measured? And IMO the other statement he made after the attack was even better.

All that will be reported fairly in almost no media outlets at all though :hmm:

the speech was fine, as far as it went - the problem he has is that while he's sitting on his hands and looking moderately sensible, May is striding the stage and doing the two things she does well: making grave pre-prepared statements, and doing the national security thing.

Corbyn can't compete with that, firstly because this sphere isn't his thing whereas it is Mays', and secondly because May holds the levers of power and can be seen to weild them, while Corbyn has nothing.

the speech was fine, as far as it went - the problem he has is that while he's sitting on his hands and looking moderately sensible, May is striding the stage and doing the two things she does well: making grave pre-prepared statements, and doing the national security thing.

Corbyn can't compete with that, firstly because this sphere isn't his thing whereas it is Mays', and secondly because May holds the levers of power and can be seen to weild them, while Corbyn has nothing.

This is all true on the one hand, but May's record on police cuts presents her with a difficulty. The Police Federation said repeatedly that a consequence would be that the police would lose the national capacity to respond to a terrorist incident. And here we are. We'll have to see how things pan out, but I'm not sure it is entirely safe to assume that May is now fighting from higher ground.

That said, it may be that all May needs to do now is announce some draconian knee-jerk change to immigration policy that Labour can't support.

Police Federation crying wolf over cuts, says Theresa May - BBC News

Police Federation crying wolf over cuts, says Theresa May
  • 20 May 2015
Theresa May: "Scaremongering does nobody any good"
Home Secretary Theresa May has told the Police Federation to stop "crying wolf" about the impact of financial cuts.

Speaking to the federation's annual conference, she said more savings would have to be made in the next five years.

And she accused leaders of the body of "scaremongering" over the effect of cuts while crime was falling.

Also, the IFS are due to report on the party manifestos in the next couple of days. They may or not be able to find things to criticise in the Labour manifesto, but its hard to imagine they are not going to tear the Tory one to pieces.

Admittedly not her natural constituency, but putting soldiers on the streets of London hardly says I've got this shit under control. Posturing, expedient political flapping public do something visible. On a very small selective basis, talking to some guys in the pub who were from Manchester, it doesn't look good. Protect Parliament and Buckingham Palace. Yeah well kind of thought they did that anyway.

Also, the security services knew him. Hardly says a lot for Extending their powers. Yes, I know it's operationally more complicated than that. But the pantomime. Who is buying it. Admittedly it again, I'm in the labour save seats, not likely to bump into many Tory voters. Well, none that would want to discuss politics with me.

The Tory press will double-down on the Corbyn-terrorist thing, don't expect any decency. They won't directly link it to this event, but enough nudges and dog whistles to draw people into making the connection. The IRA link will be flogged harder, plus there will be 'Jeremy and the jihadist' type shit like they tried to pull with Sadiq Khan, finding any occasion where he's been on the same platform or in the same room as someone dodgy, which will have more impact than it did in the London election. It'll drown out any other policy discussions.

Where have the opinion polls gone? The BBC poll tracker and UK Polling report have not updated for 5 days. Normally, hardly a day goes by without a new poll, sometimes two or three per day.

Where have the opinion polls gone? The BBC poll tracker and UK Polling report have not updated for 5 days. Normally, hardly a day goes by without a new poll, sometimes two or three per day.
I would imagine they'll resume today, after 11am, in line with the resumption of (local) campaigning?

Hanging back until the most marginal of gains by the Tories will be headlined with "Country Rallies to May in Crisis".

c.f. Tories losing in Glasgow is reported as "Victory"

With the revelations coming out that the Police Federation predicted that there would be a terrorist attack and the need to deploy troops on the streets to replace to 30,000 officers that were cut and Mayhem dismissing it as scaremongering, this could be an election loser for the tories.

More police on the streets would have done fuck all. This is one of those situations where monitoring and intelligence would have been critical.

Labour don't need to say anything, except thanks; to UKIP, who are already on the case reminding everyone that May was the HS who cut thousands of police and prison jobs.

I always remind people that Gove / Pob appointed HIMSELF to write an INTRODUCTION to the BIBLE.

Every School To Receive A King James Bible, With Intro From Michael Gove | HuffPost UK

More police on the streets would have done fuck all. This is one of those situations where monitoring and intelligence would have been critical.

32,000 more ears and eyes on the streets.... more community officers, more resources to keep an eye on those reported, no need for pound shop martial law...

It's funny how the police are bad until a Tory government cuts their numbers. Now the Labour left want more police on the streets and more armed police, based not on evidence of their effectiveness at anything but just to go against what the Tories have done. :facepalm:

Its just a stick to beat the tories with, no? Personally I think it's slightly dodgy ground for Labour and they'd be better off letting UKIP do the rabid dog act on this one.

I know the pundits outside Number 10 were bollocking on about this playing in May's favour, but a combination of the police wanting revenge/a reversal of the cutbacks and Labour's 10,000 new coppers pledge could be some potent stuff.

Honestly if you'd told me in 2015 I'd be watching Labour (led by Corbyn!) giving the Conservatives a kicking over inheritances and national security two years later I'd have thought you were totally crazy.

I know the pundits outside Number 10 were bollocking on about this playing in May's favour, but a combination of the police wanting revenge/a reversal of the cutbacks and Labour's 10,000 new coppers pledge could be some potent stuff.

Honestly if you'd told me in 2015 I'd be watching Labour (led by Corbyn!) giving the Conservatives a kicking over inheritances and national security two years later I'd have thought you were totally crazy.

Perhaps if they added in corporal punishment, national service and further corporation tax cuts they might even stand a chance of winning.

I know the pundits outside Number 10 were bollocking on about this playing in May's favour, but a combination of the police wanting revenge/a reversal of the cutbacks and Labour's 10,000 new coppers pledge could be some potent stuff...

i'd be surprised if the PF went hard at May over this - theres certainly a great deal of personal animosity there, but do you think they fancy working for Corbyn and Abbot?

they also know that the political/funding priorities of a Corbyn/McDonnell/Abbot government mean that if theres a shortfall, or bits of the programme cost more than foreseen, its the Police/intelligence/defence budget that will get the shaft.

It's funny how the police are bad until a Tory government cuts their numbers. Now the Labour left want more police on the streets and more armed police, based not on evidence of their effectiveness at anything but just to go against what the Tories have done. :facepalm:

Never said the police are all bad. Some are cunts though.

i'd be surprised if the PF went hard at May over this - theres certainly a great deal of personal animosity there, but do you think they fancy working for Corbyn and Abbot?

they also know that the political/funding priorities of a Corbyn/McDonnell/Abbot government mean that if theres a shortfall, or bits of the programme cost more than foreseen, its the Police/intelligence/defence budget that will get the shaft.

The PF don't necessarily need to make that decision, though, because they're already on record plenty.

With the revelations coming out that the Police Federation predicted that there would be a terrorist attack and the need to deploy troops on the streets to replace to 30,000 officers that were cut and Mayhem dismissing it as scaremongering, this could be an election loser for the tories.
it certainly will be if the armed cops / soldiers kill someone like harry stanley in the next few days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom