Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2017 General Election campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
However family and friends is a different story. Polarised.

Wealthier & older people who may have voted Lib Dem or Labour in the past are all falling in line for May. Lib Dems and Corbyn both beyond the pale.

Younger & poorer all going Labour.

Real two party stuff. No middle ground any more.

Wealthier & older people who may have voted Lib Dem or Labour in the past are all falling in line for May. Lib Dems and Corbyn both beyond the pale.

I think I still know a few lib demmers, although they may end up ticking labour in the booth. I doubt any of them would vote tory... They view the lib dems in light of the coalition, as that oh so effective check on the Tories. But I think the hilariously weak logic of that may be sinking in as the yellow bastards stagnate in the polls. Though we're purely on anecdote here.

I think more widely the Manchester attack throws out any predictions. Having said that I'll have a go anyway - weakness of May pre-attack can't be built on by labour, and May is able to avoid many of the awkward questions/situations she was getting herself into. Media can't/won't press her for using the attack as cover. At best (for Labour) that means polls freeze at whatever they were just prior to the attack. It's difficult to see any positive outcome for labour; their campaign has been interrupted (and it will be tricky getting it off the ground again) and Corbyn simply can't have the media coverage May has. As others have said May is perfectly capable of trotting out scripted speeches, and that will probably be enough to shore up her vote.

Bet you about 30% won't vote tho, maybe more. There's other ground.

Bet you about 30% won't vote tho, maybe more. There's other ground.

Hopefully that'll be the Tories. A couple of whom went on holiday in 2015 and forgot to sort out postal votes in time. Hopefully similar complacencies will strike the Tory voters I know this time around...

Hopefully that'll be the Tories. A couple of whom went on holiday in 2015 and forgot to sort out postal votes in time. Hopefully similar complacencies will strike the Tory voters I know this time around...

Low turnout generally favours (1) incumbents and (2) Tories, doesn't it?

The Trumps have taken a $100,000,000 kickback after selling the Saudis a fuckton of death machinery.

It's thus a pertinent question to ask if the tories or anyone else connected with our deals have made any side-gains out of working with Islamic extremists.

That's a question that won't be asked because our media is worse than fucking useless.

Ivanka Trump fund takes $100M from Saudi Arabia, UAE

Corbyn says Labour will resume campaigning because terrorism must not 'derail our democratic process'
Jeremy Corbyn has said that Labour will resume campaigning later this week because terrorism must not “derail our democratic process”. He said:

The British people are united in their resolve that terrorism will not prevail. It will not prevent us going about our daily lives, or derail our democratic process. Resuming democratic debate and campaigning is an essential mark of the country’s determination to defend our democracy, and the unity that the terrorists have sought to attack.

Ah

Strong and Stable - 6 penny food on yer table
:confused:
just wondering what was on the menu or what is likely to be
;)
I think she can just about manage that soundbite :)
breakfasts is budgeted at just 6.8p per child per meal

The Conservatives are in meltdown after Theresa May is forced to make another embarrassing u-turn | The Canary

The Conservative Party has faced
criticism for its uncosted manifesto. But even where costings are provided, doubt remains. Because findings have revealed that the proposal to end free school lunches and replace them with breakfasts is budgeted at just 6.8p per child per meal. And now the Conservatives have had to perform another major u-turn and backtrack from the figure. So it is now yet another manifesto pledge that is totally uncosted.

Last edited:
Guardian (citing education datalab think tank) are saying £170m for a 20% uptake on breakfasts.

Bearing in mind the government were hoping for £60m and (I think, just skimmed) 25%.

I think the original plan was to give each student a slice of bread at hometime and set having toast for breakfast as homework.

Having said that ...
I
I think more widely the Manchester attack throws out any predictions. Having said that I'll have a go anyway - weakness of May pre-attack can't be built on by labour, and May is able to avoid many of the awkward questions/situations she was getting herself into. Media can't/won't press her for using the attack as cover. At best (for Labour) that means polls freeze at whatever they were just prior to the attack. It's difficult to see any positive outcome for labour; their campaign has been interrupted (and it will be tricky getting it off the ground again) and Corbyn simply can't have the media coverage May has. As others have said May is perfectly capable of trotting out scripted speeches, and that will probably be enough to shore up her vote.
I think the above is almost overoptimistic. May will be much more immune to criticsm now :( .. and that's not only the medi's fault ... Labour will have to be very careful, because plenty of voters will think attacking her politically, even on bread and butter issues, would be in bad taste :(

Or am I wrong? :confused:

Having said that ...

I think the above is almost overoptimistic. May will be much more immune to criticsm now :( .. and that's not only the medi's fault ... Labour will have to be very careful, because plenty of voters will think attacking her politically, even on bread and butter issues, would be in bad taste :(

Completely in my view. Pointing out the dementia tax shambles and the taking away food from children, fairly safe ground there. I'm sure there's more crap in the Tory manifesto too.

Having said that ...

Agreed. What corbyn needs to do in a time of national crisis is to show statesmanship, to give people confidence he can lead the country through bad situations.

This is his weak point unfortunately.

Agreed. What corbyn needs to do in a time of national crisis is to show statesmanship, to give people confidence he can lead the country through bad situations.

This is his weak point unfortunately.

You say that,. but the statement quoted above (#1305) was surely pretty measured? And IMO the other statement he made after the attack was even better.

All that will be reported fairly in almost no media outlets at all though :hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom