Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Students occupy University of Sheffield Auditorium

1) ucl is a college within the university of london; it is not a university no matter how much it presents itself as one
2) ucl has more than three halls of residence ("Rooms in the university’s three Halls of Residence range between £143.50 and £270.06 per week," might apply to the intercollegiate halls). off the top of my head there's max rayne, ifor, hawkridge and of course ramsay, as well as rooms on gower street and penton rise: plus some in muswell hill.

1) ucl is a college within the university of london; it is not a university no matter how much it presents itself as one
2) ucl has more than three halls of residence ("Rooms in the university’s three Halls of Residence range between £143.50 and £270.06 per week," might apply to the intercollegiate halls). off the top of my head there's max rayne, ifor, hawkridge and of course ramsay, as well as rooms on gower street and penton rise: plus some in muswell hill.
I know. I went there.

didn't we all. so the tory scum who have infested this thread should read some pisspoor journalism.
Hard to find any that isn't tbh.:(
Facts remains that tory scum merrily citing £300pcm as a basis on which to justify student debt being no biggie...is piss-poor.

Trouble is, like a good many folk, I'm seeing my eldest's (in 3rd yr) debts escalate at a worrying rate. I feel so sorry for this cohort.

Because tens of thousands of students are racking up huge debts partly because greedy, exploitative institutions and individuals are charging rents massively higher than you suggested. I take it you're unaware that students in GL/RoSE might be facing minimum rents of £150 pppw?
That's why your wild generalisations from a restricted specific are as offensive as they are ignorant.

Was cheaper for my nephew to rent in Folkestone, and commute to uni in Canterbury, than to rent in Canterbury. How fucked up is that?

The North definitely seems to be the best bet if you are on a tight budget doesn't it.

Not that that is particularly surprising. ...

Students could be paying a higher price to attend top universities
lancaster appears quite cheap at £78/wk: but (78x52)/12=£338 pcm
and if that's around the lowest end of the table for a top ten university... and the london average according to the story at £140/wk =£606.67 pcm

There an unfurnished 3-bed house in the next street to my home available at £46 per stude per week, but there's the deposit and moving costs, plus stuff to put inside it... My student neighbors in the block of flats I live in (who are generally nice and quiet which is a good thing as I'm a youngish fogey who needs his sleep) have a choice of 1-beds at £425-£450 a month and 2-beds at £550 a month. There's much much cheaper than the first in less salubrious places. Some of the 'luxury' places (lol, they're just en-suite bedrooms with wi-fi) are ridiculous, £150-£200 a week. Even with the lower prices, I don't think 5 students should be crammed into cold, damp shitholes.

I don't want scum liking my posts Barry. It was a comment on the negative and counter-productive class-based and cultural assumptions that people can fall into, even on here.

'Even on here'....actually, only on here. I just popped in the other day and have been so struck by how low people can go and how basic their world view I just can't leave. I need to see more.

Back
Top Bottom