Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Roy Chubby Brown gig cancelled in Sheffield . Right wingers call it censorship.

I think he used to live in the West Midlands area back in the 80's?
I worked in a department store in Birmingham for a couple of years and he used to come in with his wife and spend alot of money on things for the house - really naff taste :D
Our manager said it was him anyway, I wouldn't have known what he looked like - definitely not my taste in comedy!

It's Bernard Manning who died. RCB is the one who dresses as a twat. But they are/were pretty much the same person.
Only without Manning's (comparative) warmth and charm. He was popular amongst a certain slice of my demographic back in the day, and even fairly naive-and-not-yet-woke me thought it wasn't actually very funny.

Only without Manning's (comparative) warmth and charm. He was popular amongst a certain slice of my demographic back in the day, and even fairly naive-and-not-yet-woke me thought it wasn't actually very funny.

When Bernard Manning told a joke outside of his usual subject matter he was very funny with great delivery but those moments were sadly few and far between.

When Bernard Manning told a joke outside of his usual subject matter he was very funny with great delivery but those moments were sadly few and far between.
That is true. When he was on The Comedians and Wheeltappers and Shunters in the 70s, and his outright racism was toned down (cos telly), he did come across as a highly skilled comic. Pity he was such a racist cunt.

I had to do the sound for him years ago at some charity gig. Had I known in advance he was the act I’d have said no to the gig, but as compensation I turned his monitor off when he did a bit on a piano so he fucked it up and had to improv (badly) his way out of it as he couldn’t hear a thing :cool: Hugely unprofessional of me but you’ve got to take the victories where you can :D

The only act I’ve said a hard no to was Davidson, got offered a run of dates for a tour he was doing. Fuck that.

never thought anyone involved with chubby brown was smart enough to turn a show cancelled due to low ticket sales
into a pr stunt that will more than likely fill his next booking

had to watch a few shows of his with the folks of a lass i was seeing at one stage
he just a bit of shit comic who been leaning into the i'm controversal shit and scrapping by for the last 30 years

And Jim Davidson (and RCB) are neither of them remotely competent comedians, racism or otherwise.
Davidson, no, utter shite on telly. I never saw RCB so can't comment on his comedic ability with the racism filter on (if it was ever switched on).

Weird family conversation... we were talking about Manning's Embassy Club after my son and his mate wandered in to check it out (and take the piss). My sister-in-law said:

"Yeah, the Embassy Club isn't the same since Bernard Manning died" :eek::hmm:

It's since become something of a favourite family quote with me and mini-Serge 1 and mini-Serge 2.

The only act I’ve said a hard no to was Davidson, got offered a run of dates for a tour he was doing. Fuck that.

He used to do summer seasons in the town I grew up in, which is not known as a centre of cosmopolitan liberalism, but got banned. Nothing to do with his act, more him being one of the most obnoxious arseholes ever put on this planet. Think it was the (Tory) council and the local police who pulled the plug on him as much as the venue.

I’ve told this tale before on here but I’m still proud to have got Jim Davidson a parking ticket by drawing a traffic warden’s attention to his Rolls Royce parked illegally outside the restaurant I used to work at. I told the warden his vehicle was blocking our deliveries. He deserved it as he was a total cunt to everyone in the place.

It’s only because every now and then I remember this forum and decide to post. I know my posts aren’t liked or welcomed, but fuck it. So what.

Back
Top Bottom