Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Roy Chubby Brown gig cancelled in Sheffield . Right wingers call it censorship.

Probably not very happy, having to strip for a living.
Quite a divided argument that one.
Some women say it empowers them looking down on men and taking their money. Others, it's a means to an end. Probably a thread in there if one doesn't exist already.
I personally don't get the empowerment side, but I'd like to hear other women's views on here.

Last edited:
I mean he was a joke even in the late 80s, early 90s by the time I came across him. A riskey dinosaur of a comedian for adolescence.

Very much so.

Slight tangent - I remember hearing a tape in the 90’s and finding the sexism massively tedious (cue the Benny Hill-style ‘but the joke’s on him’ explanations about how I wasn’t understanding it properly), but I don’t recall any racism from the bits I heard.

That seemed to come after 9/11, like he had spotted a new niche for himself in the market.

That's like my memory of Jim Davidson's comedy it's actually got more viciously racist as he's gone through life crises, and 9/11 and EU migration have all happened. His racism back in the early Eighties while offensive to me as a child was more of the affectionate and patronising kind on the whole.

Based on vague memories anyway.

That's like my memory of Jim Davidson's comedy it's actually got more viciously racist as he's gone through life crises, and 9/11 and EU migration have all happened. His racism back in the early Eighties while offensive to me as a child was more of the affectionate and patronising kind on the whole.

Based on vague memories anyway.

Always hard to tell what’s underneath it, and also the change in what is accepted obscures things a bit but yeah, I think the bitterness has ramped up as they’ve dug themselves into their foxholes.

Apparently he wasn't a good reflection of their values . But they should have just used the minimum ticket get out clause.

Yeah the really fucking thick thing was saying that rather than just not booking him.

Office junior is not going to be booking events
They might well do. Not the ‘junior’ but accepting bookings isn’t done at managerial level. An agent requests the booking and a fairly low level employee will check they aren’t on a disapproved list and then accept the booking. If they’re young, they won’t even have heard of the fucker.

They might well do. Not the ‘junior’ but accepting bookings isn’t done at managerial level. An agent requests the booking and a fairly low level employee will check they aren’t on a disapproved list and then accept the booking. If they’re young, they won’t even have heard of the fucker.
Yep. His peak was what, in the early/mid 90’s? That’s 30 years ago :D

• Wow
Reactions: Sue
Reckon a venue that size would have someone non junior booking/confirming events imo/ime

Very much so.

Slight tangent - I remember hearing a tape in the 90’s and finding the sexism massively tedious (cue the Benny Hill-style ‘but the joke’s on him’ explanations about how I wasn’t understanding it properly), but I don’t recall any racism from the bits I heard.

That seemed to come after 9/11, like he had spotted a new niche for himself in the market.

yep, I don’t remember hearing racist stuff. sexist, homophobic, certainly. But granted I wasn’t actively seeking out more of his material. I actually saw a bit on YouTube the other day following this thread. it’s worse than I remember…

Back
Top Bottom