Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

'Vegan diets are healthier and safer for dogs' says The Guardian about University of Winchester survey

Don't wait get them now and you'll simply out crazy them.
It would be difficult to out-crazy my neighbour - she makes my life hell. But I've had hens here before and so do a couple of other neighbours (I actually bought my last coop from one of them). It's not that unusual to have chickens in a largish garden.

We get our eggs from honesty boxes at farm gates. These are still available.

The hens won't be free-range at the moment in those farms either - it's due to avian flu meaning the hens have to be locked away for their own health (it's happened before, and even pet hens need to be kept in their runs rather than free-ranging), but it's looking like the current outbreak will be over soon.

Or maybe you might reflect a bit on the way you carry on on these threads. Accusing people of agendas, questioning people when they mention illness of family members, banging on about exactly what is or isn't permitted in a discussion only to break your own rules. It's not a good look.
Back in the day there would have been a shitstorm about mods abusing powers. It's changed here. Nobody bats an eyelid any more.

You have to watch for weasels here if you keep chickens, healthy wild population. No foxes though.

I think it’s fair to say the pet thing is a matter of how vegans are motivated. There are definitely vegans who object to pet ownership, but it’s not the definition.

A friend of a friend is vegan, and at a picnic was discussing her reasons for not eating honey - even though the bees are living what is, to them, a pretty much natural life. She said that some vegans do eat honey, but for her the issue was consent. The bees don’t consent to give us their honey (or sheep their wool). So, with pets she thought it boiled down to whether an animal would choose to stay. This was a few years back but partly inspired a thread on pets I posted last year. Anyway, she seemed to have a logically consistent moral position.

Other vegans are less tolerant of any pet ownership (istr PETA have in the past if not now, held that view), while other vegans are animal lovers who express that in part by living with a range of animals.
Dogs and wolves (like many other carnivorous animals) can make their own vitamin C in the body and do not need to consume it. They don't need much in the way of carbs.
If you are talking ingestion of plant matter, dogs and wolves which are their closest analogues (genetically so close they can interbreed), the answer is that they will occasionally eat some berries and nibble on shoots (particularly grass) in the spring when they are full of sugars.
They will also eat the stomach contents of herbivorous prey animals.

Carbohydrates are technically the only macronutrient humans can survive without consuming (not that I fancy it).
I’m not sure that’s true. Low carb diets all say you need some grammes of carbs every day, because brain function needs carbs/can’t access protein or stored fat.
You’d be constantly knackered. (I only have a study of one person who quit carbs for the Atkins diet who kept falling asleep all the time at work lol).
That’s really unusual. Low GI/carb diets almost always report less sluggishness/more energy, except for those who are very active (sports/busy active jobs like nursing).

Back in the day there would have been a shitstorm about mods abusing powers. It's changed here. Nobody bats an eyelid any more.
That's probably because most people here never have any problems with the modding of the site and don't agree that your opinion about mods "abusing" their powers.

Judging by some of the comments received recently, I'd suggest they also appreciate all the unpaid work that goes into running the site, and understand how fucking stressful it must be having to put up with a handful of gobby shitehawks who are constantly criticising the most minor of decisions.

But, as ever, feel free to use the 'report post' function rather than disrupt this thread any further.

Back
Top Bottom