Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

'Vegan diets are healthier and safer for dogs' says The Guardian about University of Winchester survey

I don't understand the focus on supplements. Are they produced from animals? If not then they'd seem to me to contribute to a "balanced" meat-free diet.

I don't understand the focus on supplements. Are they produced from animals? If not then they'd seem to me to contribute to a "balanced" meat-free diet.
I think it's another stick to beat the vegans with.
If veganism is healthy why would you need supplements?
I have a 'cousin' that will only eat chicken and fish and is now deficient in vegetables.
You couldn't make it up!

A balanced diet does not need supplements regardless of whether that diet is meat based, vegetarian, vegan or anything in between. As this vegan dog food requires a shed load of nutrients to supplement it then it's not balanced on it's own which is what some are trying to make out. :(

In the interest of an open mind I looked up the evidence for vegan diets for dogs and their ability to digest plant-based proteins and carbs etc. I can see why for some dogs at different stages in their lives it might work. I cannot see why you could claim it to be a success or a desirable diet for ALL dogs.. regardless of age, health, behaviour etc. That is nuts.

There is def a lack of real long term evidence available, but the fact remains dogs have evolved along with humans to deal with human food... hence ability to eat cereals, grains, pulses, vegetables etc. That doesnt mean this is the best option for them or the most efficient. As mentioned on a previous page, if you had a pregant or weening dog and started giving it a vegan diet youd have to be completely fucking daft.

As for the environmental impact of dog food (compared to rampant global capitalism and waste in human agriculture bla bla bla) if youre that bothered about it just dont get a fucking dog. Or stop flying. I do hope my terrible "whataboutery" doesnt trigger our resident fragile vegans too much! ;)
Which 'resident fragile vegans,' specifically?

A balanced diet does not need supplements regardless of whether that diet is meat based, vegetarian, vegan or anything in between. As this vegan dog food requires a shed load of nutrients to supplement it then it's not balanced on it's own which is what some are trying to make out. :(
For that statement to make any kind of sense, regular meat-based dog food would have to contain no supplements at all.

So I've picked the first one from this list of best dog foods and guess what? Its stuffed full of additives:

Composition: Brown rice 39.8%, duck meat meal 26%, naked oats, peas, whole linseed, beet pulp, vegetable oil, vitamins and minerals, herb blend (750mg/kg), MOS (500mg/kg), FOS (500mg/kg), glucosamine (350mg/kg), chondroitin sulphate (150mg/kg), seaweed (150mg/kg), yucca (100mg/kg).

Technological Additives: Tocopherol extracts from vegetable oils (vitamin E), contains antioxidants and preservatives; Sensory Additives: None stated; Nutritional Additives: None stated.

Analytical Constituents: Protein 25%, Crude Fibres 3%, Crude Oils and Fats 11%, Crude Ash 5.5%,

Seeing as that appears to be more high end food, let's take a look at the kind of food that most people are likely to be buying - something like Tesco's own brand. And - yep - it's absolutely stuffed with additives:

Nutritional Additives per Kg:

Vitamin A 17, 000 IU, Vitamin D3 1, 500 IU, Vitamin E 70mg, Iodine (Calcium Iodate Anhydrous) 2.5mg, Selenium (Sodium Selenite) 0.1mg, Copper (Copper (II) Sulphate Pentahydrate) 8mg, Iron (Iron (II) Sulphate Monohydrate) 60mg, Manganese (Manganese (II) Oxide) 50mg, Zinc (Zinc Oxide) 100mg.

For that statement to make any kind of sense, regular meat-based dog food would have to contain no supplements at all.

So I've picked the first one from this list of best dog foods and guess what? Its stuffed full of additives:
but it contains no nutritional additives

but it contains no nutritional additives
You've just made an utter clown of yourself again. Vitamins are nutritional additives.

• Nutritional: additives that support many vital functions in the body (e.g..: vitamins)

You said that the threads that I start are - and I quote you directly - "quite literally about my field of science."

This thread is about dogs being fed a vegan diet. So what are your qualifications in this specific area? What research have you done into vegan dog diets? Was it published anywhere?
you've been hiding your qualifications on this subject under a bushel, if indeed you have any. i have no qualifications in the field of animal nutrition. but i can spot a dodgy article and a non-peer-reviewed master's thesis when i see one. which is rather more than you can, given the quality of material you've adduced to support your claims

you've been hiding your qualifications on this subject under a bushel, if indeed you have any. i have no qualifications in the field of animal nutrition. but i can spot a dodgy article and a non-peer-reviewed master's thesis when i see one. which is rather more than you can, given the quality of material you've adduced to support your claims
Thanks for that interjection but I wasn't asking you the question so I'm not really interested in your thoughts on the matter.

Thanks for that interjection but I wasn't asking you the question so I'm not really interested in your thoughts on the matter.
so that's an admission you don't have any qualifications in the field: nor, i don't doubt, any practical knowledge of the critical appraisal of articles.

i'm also curious why this thread is in p&p and not in science, if science is what you're genuinely interested in here

tbf it is harder to get a decent row going over in science, on account of science being a fact driven discipline rather than a spurious load of old cobblers article driven one.
any self-respecting cobbler would have dashed his last to the ground in a fit of pique at the slurry presented as scientific fact on this thread

Well yes but on the other hand once you've added those supplements, then it's a balanced diet. That's why they add them.

Well yes but on the other hand once you've added those supplements, then it's a balanced diet. That's why they add them.
Makes a bit of a nonsense of the term though - I could live on nothing but mars bars and supplements and call it a balanced diet.

Makes a bit of a nonsense of the term though - I could live on nothing but mars bars and supplements and call it a balanced diet.
I don't think you could :) bit of a sugar overload there.

Makes a bit of a nonsense of the term in the other sense too, though. As pointed out dog meat has additives too. So that's not balanced?
I take extra vitamin D in the winter does that mean I've not got a balanced diet? What's important is the dog, and that the dog gets a balanced diet.

That clearly states "no nutritional additives" and is a damned shorter list than that for the vegan dog food I posted.

You've just made an utter clown of yourself again. Vitamins are nutritional additives.

You do realise that all foods contain various minerals and vitamins don't you? Because that's what that was referring to in the list of ingredients.

It's like reasoning with conspiraloons with you, or should that be vegiloons? :(

You do realise that all foods contain various minerals and vitamins don't you? Because that's what that was referring to in the list of ingredients.

It's like reasoning with conspiraloons with you, or should that be vegiloons? :(
Nice attempt to wriggle out of the hole you've made for yourself, with some really classy ad hominems added.

Here's your own stupid quote again:

Dog foods are stuffed full of nutrients and supplements. :facepalm:

so that's an admission you don't have any qualifications in the field: nor, i don't doubt, any practical knowledge of the critical appraisal of articles.

i'm also curious why this thread is in p&p and not in science, if science is what you're genuinely interested in here
Again: "I'm not really interested in your thoughts on the matter.."

Back
Top Bottom