Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Spanish Political News

I'm not at all sure about the Spanish policy of not letting people out for exercise. The mental health effects are obvious, but also elderly people who lose mobility due to lack of exercise will often not be able to recover it. There will be many earlier deaths just because of that.

Is it being debated much in Spain?

904 dead in Madrid. There's your answer. British people who think social distancing means going for a walk on their own are in for a nasty shock in the coming days.

904 dead in Madrid. There's your answer. British people who think social distancing means going for a walk on their own are in for a nasty shock in the coming days.
I spoke to friends in the UK yesterday. They are certain that this approach will work. They seem to think that as long as they go out on their own they cannot get or pass on the virus. They also commented on how kids being out in the streets, parks, etc was OK. I feel so sorry for them for what they are going to go through.

This hasn't worked in Italy, why would it work in the UK?

My brother who works in health policy thinks that tens of thousands of elderly people will die early if they are confined to their homes for months - lack of exercise and isolation both kill elderly people. He is worried that policy-makers are panicking and forgetting about other threats to people. I think if you work in health policy you are used to working with population-level numbers. A harsh winter can cause 50,000 extra deaths in the UK. From that point of view 10,000 extra dead from coronavirus shouldn't overshadow other threats, grim as it might seem.

Edit to add - I know there is a risk of hundreds of thousands of deaths with uncontrolled social contact, but just wondering if people are thinking about when diminishing returns kick in from social distancing measures.

Given that we're being told that it is spread through direct human contact, why would you be likely to contract Corona Virus by going for a walk on your own?

Given that we're being told that it is spread through direct human contact, why would you be likely to contract Corona Virus by going for a walk on your own?
Because aerosol particles can last 2 to 3 hours in the air and it's a highly contagious airborne virus.

My brother who works in health policy thinks that tens of thousands of elderly people will die early if they are confined to their homes for months - lack of exercise and isolation both kill elderly people. He is worried that policy-makers are panicking and forgetting about other threats to people. I think if you work in health policy you are used to working with population-level numbers. A harsh winter can cause 50,000 extra deaths in the UK. From that point of view 10,000 extra dead from coronavirus shouldn't overshadow other threats, grim as it might seem.

Edit to add - I know there is a risk of hundreds of thousands of deaths with uncontrolled social contact, but just wondering if people are thinking about when diminishing returns kick in from social distancing measures.
It would be hundreds of thousands not 10000. There's no way the isolation would kill as many as the virus.

Because aerosol particles can last 2 to 3 hours in the air and it's a highly contagious airborne virus.
If this were meaningfully true, rather than technically true under very specific circumstances, then social isolation, distancing and lockdown would have no effect.

No link. I know that in lab tests it's been shown to survive in air or on difference surfaces for given periods of time. But if under normal conditions it survives in air for significant periods of time, statistically often, such that it could be transferred on an isolated walk, then the measures being taken won't work. And they apparently do work.

Not that I'm encouraging people to break rules or take risks, by the way. Comply and be sensible.

No link. I know that in lab tests it's been shown to survive in air or on difference surfaces for given periods of time. But if under normal conditions it survives in air for significant periods of time, statistically often, such that it could be transferred on an isolated walk, then the measures being taken won't work. And they apparently do work.
Measures been taken in UK or Spain? I still think it's obvious that having people walking around spreads the disease. They walk past each other, they sneeze, they touch things, they buy things. How 'isolated' can a walk be for people in a conurbation? Oh shit there's my neighbour - fucked it. Britons seem to be living pretty much as normal so far.

Measures been taken in UK or Spain? I still think it's obvious that having people walking around spreads the disease. They walk past each other, they sneeze, they touch things, they buy things. How 'isolated' can a walk be for people in a conurbation? Oh shit there's my neighbour - fucked it. Britons seem to be living pretty much as normal so far.
I was thinking Italy has some demonstrable evidence of success.

I went for a long run in one of our large parks last week, before schools closed. I felt like maintaining at least 2m separation was entirely feasible. Now, with more people off, I don't know.

I was thinking Italy has some demonstrable evidence of success.

I went for a long run in one of our large parks last week, before schools closed. I felt like maintaining at least 2m separation was entirely feasible. Now, with more people off, I don't know.

Frotn page of my local newspaper back home has dozens of people infecting each other shoulder to shoulder outside Tesco. Britain doesn't seem to have got this yet.

Frotn page of my local newspaper back home has dozens of people infecting each other shoulder to shoulder outside Tesco. Britain doesn't seem to have got this yet.
I think that the problem is that the UK government doesn't seem to be taking it seriously and so the people aren't either.

I spoke to friends in the UK yesterday. They are certain that this approach will work. They seem to think that as long as they go out on their own they cannot get or pass on the virus. They also commented on how kids being out in the streets, parks, etc was OK. I feel so sorry for them for what they are going to go through.

This hasn't worked in Italy, why would it work in the UK?

Because Italy hasn´t got an outside-the-box maverick genius like Classic Dom.....

More importantly Spanish coalition has moved to protect workers from being sacked during this crisis. Companies can apply for an ERTE (government subsidised temporary suspension) of permanent staff, but it can't sack them. This is a huge relief to me.

More importantly Spanish coalition has moved to protect workers from being sacked during this crisis. Companies can apply for an ERTE (government subsidised temporary suspension) of permanent staff, but it can't sack them. This is a huge relief to me.
I'm on an ERTE, too.

I have to fill in (or my employer has to fill in) an online form to go through the process which I hope will mean I get a little bit of money to tide me over.

Unfortunately, the form requires an expiry date for my NIE. My NIE has no expiry date. I don't know what to put. My empoyer doesn't know what to put. I cannot submit the form without putting a valid date in that field. Do you, or does your employer, know what date is required?

I'm not at all sure about the Spanish policy of not letting people out for exercise. The mental health effects are obvious, but also elderly people who lose mobility due to lack of exercise will often not be able to recover it. There will be many earlier deaths just because of that.

Is it being debated much in Spain?
good point about older people and muscle waste
reminds me of this

I'm on an ERTE, too.

I have to fill in (or my employer has to fill in) an online form to go through the process which I hope will mean I get a little bit of money to tide me over.

Unfortunately, the form requires an expiry date for my NIE. My NIE has no expiry date. I don't know what to put. My empoyer doesn't know what to put. I cannot submit the form without putting a valid date in that field. Do you, or does your employer, know what date is required?

This is an issue I've heard about before. Are you in the Comunidad de Madrid? I will ask my boss on Monday - maybe she'll know. In fact she'll have to find out because I've just seen that my NIE doesn't have an expiry date either.

This is an issue I've heard about before. Are you in the Comunidad de Madrid? I will ask my boss on Monday - maybe she'll know. In fact she'll have to find out because I've just seen that my NIE doesn't have an expiry date either.
Thanks. Yes, please let me know if your employer knows.

(I have found one suggestion: that it should be the date of issue plus 10 years - the reasoning being that they want something analogous to a DNI and a DNI is valid for 10 years. Maybe that is the answer, but I am a little uncertain because the flimsy little card with my NIE, which says I am a permanent resident, is definitely not an ID card. It says very clearly on the back that it isn't.)

The fucking shit green piece of paper that YOU MUST NOT LAMINATE. A total joke isn't it? The print is wearing off mine as well. Useless. I'll almost be pleased to get a proper TIE later this year.

I have a large business-card size laminated copy of my tattered green letter, which looks very convincing. Nobody ever says 'Oi, that's not the real thing' because they've never seen the fucker before.

BTW I gather that we bloated capitalist autonomos are getting some dole; which is just as well.

And perhaps the option of an ICO with a year of interest only, at a low rate, so I might be able to put the business back together by investing in some tech for online courses and giving my people their jobs back before the money starts coming in from the punters, I mean students.

I'm not seeing much flattening off in la Rioja: This daily total from yesterday

El número de afectados se eleva a 1.236 personas.
La Consejería de Salud ha informado de 1.236 casos positivos de COVID-19 en La Rioja, 241 más, mientras que el número de casos confirmados con alta hospitalaria asciende a 62, catorce más que ayer. También ha habido doce nuevos fallecimientos por COVID-19, ocho hombres y cuatro mujeres de edad avanzada con factores de riesgo. De los fallecidos, tres eran residentes en centros sociosanitarios. Con estos datos, la cifra total de fallecidos en La Rioja es de 55 personas.

In a population of just over 300,000, half of them in Logroño. The hope is that these are from more testing, so not really the lurgy being caught by more people.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom