Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Six Nations 2023

Well, this is a pretty decent aggressive performance from England. Very disappointed in Italy though, hope they get their shit together for the 2nd half.

Nice return from Jack Wills, what an amazing way to get back into international rugby

Italy looked really good when they were passing the ball along the line against France - here too now.

I thought the Kicking statistics were interesting - England I think was about 21 m average kick distance and 20 m for average territory gained. I've often wondered whether it's worth kicking if the ball is only going to be returned. I'm surprised if the 20 m is really territory gained per kick though.

only watch the highlight as was force out and about yesterday

disappointed by italy after their preformance against france

showed some spirit but not the edge from last week

This is really head-shakingly mental. Welsh squad players on antidepressants, failing to get mortgages because of the ongoing contractual fiasco, desperate to leave Wales and never come back. If ever you needed a reason as to why we're so fucked on and off the pitch, here it is. No wonder they can't be arsed to play for the jersey. The WRU can go fuck themselves, basically.

only watch the highlight as was force out and about yesterday

disappointed by italy after their preformance against france

showed some spirit but not the edge from last week
I was certainly more worried about the England game than I should have been. Italy's performance against France left me doubting my view that Georgia should be given a go.

And now they're talking about striking, possibly prior to the England game.

You literally couldn't make up the ongoing clusterfuck that is Wales' national sport. I fucking hope they do and that it brings the whole, stinking edifice crashing down around the blazers' heads
That is a worry. Tend to agree though, with the whole feck up over sexism and women's rugby in Wales, maybe a complete implosion might help reset the whole thing. International rugby without a strong Wales side doesn't bear thinking about, even for an England fan.

But then I'd like to see England and other nations quit FIFA over the Russia/Qatar World Cups and Saudi's sponsoring the women's world cup. See also Russia not being banned by the Olympics.

So much international and national sports admin is completely fucked.

Bloody hell, I had no idea but it explains a lot. Why is it such a mess?
The WRU governance is the same as it was 100 years ago, harking back to a halcyon age of amateurism. Each club comprising the union (150 or so) has equal voice on constitutional matters, board elections, etc. This means that the Ospreys, for example, have as much say in the future of Welsh rugby as, say Machynlleth RFC. Board members tend to get selected from a cast of old, white men who guarantee a continuation of the status quo, eg guaranteed generous funding for the amateur game and lots of free tickets and jollies for Dai and Gruff, who worked jolly hard to be their club's representative at Union level. So you end up with a bunch of gammons, whose previous jobs include police sergeant, geography teacher, army pt instructor, etc governing a £100m turnover elite sports body. What could possibly go wrong?

That is a worry. Tend to agree though, with the whole feck up over sexism and women's rugby in Wales, maybe a complete implosion might help reset the whole thing. International rugby without a strong Wales side doesn't bear thinking about, even for an England fan.

But then I'd like to see England and other nations quit FIFA over the Russia/Qatar World Cups and Saudi's sponsoring the women's world cup. See also Russia not being banned by the Olympics.

So much international and national sports admin is completely fucked.
Allegedly our chair and acting CEO are visiting all the clubs begging them to vote for Christmas, appoint an independent, professional board and split governance between professional and amateur.

Allegedly, the clubs intend to vote this motion down. Doing so would literally be the death knell for rugby in Wales.

E2A: oh, and sorry, for any constitutional or governance change to take place 75% of the clubs have to vote for it :facepalm:

Last edited:

Tadgh Beirne out until May with an ankle injury, so the Irish pack is weakened further.

I suppose there is a slight positive to be drawn that 12 week injuries such as this one happen now, rather than at the end of the season when there may not be enough time to get game time ahead of the World Cup.

Reactions: Ax^
Good on the Welsh players. Good to see them standing up to the blazers/bosses.
What's equally egregious is the 60 cap rule in combination with the cuts. It's essentially blackmailing most of the top players to take home 30% less than their English/Irish/Scottish peers if they want to continue to play for their national side. They have every right to take the stance they are given that it's their effort that essentially bankrolls the game here.

Back
Top Bottom