Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Single mums ‘should not be acceptable’ says Shaun Bailey, Tory Mayor of London candidate

editor

hiraethified
This guy is pretty special, even for a Tory:

2844.jpg

The Conservative London mayoral candidate is facing renewed criticism after it emerged he once claimed there was a “cottage industry” of women becoming pregnant in order to secure a council house.

Shaun Bailey, who was selected as the party’s candidate last month, told an event at the Tory conference in 2008 that the practice of “getting knocked up to get housing” had become a problem in some areas.

Bailey’s comments were reported in the Spectator magazine. Then a parliamentary candidate for Hammersmith, he was asked by an audience member whether it was true that some women became pregnant to claim more benefits. He reportedly replied: “Girls getting knocked up to get housing? It’s a cottage industry where I come from.”

Tory pick for London mayor under fire for remarks on benefits

Accommodating Muslims and Hindus “robs Britain of its community” and risks turning the country into a “crime-riddled cesspool” as a result, the Conservative candidate for London mayor declared in a thinktank pamphlet he wrote a decade ago.

Shaun Bailey voiced concerns about the marking of Muslim and Hindu festivals, claimed children were being taught more about Diwali than Christmas, and argued Britain “removing the religion that British people generally take to” had allowed immigrants to bring their countries’ cultural problems with them.

In his “no man’s land” pamphlet (pdf) for the Centre for Policy Studies about the problems faced by young people in inner-city areas, Bailey also appeared to confuse Hindi speakers with the Hindu religion.

“You bring your children to school and they learn far more about Diwali than Christmas. I speak to the people who are from Brent and they’ve been having Muslim and Hindi days off. What it does is rob Britain of its community. Without our community, we slip into a crime-riddled cesspool,” he wrote in 2005

Tory London mayoral pick under fire for remarks about Muslims and Hindus

I've had my eye on him for a while, since he ran for MP in 2010 in my then constituency of Hammersmith (and lost). Yet he's seems to keep popping up at every opportunity to talk some nonsense now he's the great big Tory hope for London mayor.

As the guardian pointed out, Bailey's comments are straight out of the Peter Lilley speech at the 1992 Tory party conference with his "little list" of "young ladies who get pregnant just to jump the housing list"

He can do one. I'd sooner vote for Khan than this motherfucker.

Typing an I instead of a U thirteen years ago is hardly crime of the century, especially as they are next to each other on the keyboard. It is the Guardian though so their spade handle probably broke there and they called it a day.

I've had my eye on him for a while, since he ran for MP in 2010 in my then constituency of Hammersmith (and lost). Yet he's seems to keep popping up at every opportunity to talk some nonsense now he's the great big Tory hope for London mayor.

As the guardian pointed out, Bailey's comments are straight out of the Peter Lilley speech at the 1992 Tory party conference with his "little list" of "young ladies who get pregnant just to jump the housing list"

He can do one. I'd sooner vote for Khan than this motherfucker.
At least you know the sort of shit you're voting for with the tory, with Khan it's harder to know which of his principles are permanent

He said it in a different article: Single mums 'should not be acceptable' says Tory Mayor of London candidate | Metro News

It's a weird claim to make these days. Having a baby does give you more points on the housing register, but being a single parent doesn't (as opposed to applying as a couple), and in London you'll still be waiting several years. It's just a bald-faced lie.
I’m laughing my arse off here that somehow just by having a child you get a council property. Fucking hell these people are out of touch. Don’t they know how much more fucking desperate you need to be nowadays than just having a child :D

I must be doing something wrong then, because I became a single mum with 3 kids under 5 and one was a four month old baby, and here I am ten years later still on the council house waiting list :hmm:
I think me and Dave are still on the list from 16 years ago :D

I must be doing something wrong then, because I became a single mum with 3 kids under 5 and one was a four month old baby, and here I am ten years later still on the council house waiting list :hmm:

Shudda been an illegal immigrant, you'd have been immediately given a 5 bed mansion in Knightsbridge with free benefits, food vouchers and priority cosmetic surgery on the NHS because the EU.

What's always struck me about this claim is that even if it is true (and I don't believe it is) that women get pregnant just to get a house. Then what the fuck does that say about the world we live it. Apparently the most poor young women feel they can hope for is to have a kid so they can live somewhere that is not an overpriced shithole.

Brighton has such dire housing needs that they changed their criteria in the last couple of years and I got removed from the council list, along with thousands of others, for having 'no housing need' (that being that we are already 'adequately housed' in ridiculously expensive private rentals).

Also, lol at all these wrong-un women, getting pregnant to get housing, with absolutely no input from men. :rolleyes: :mad:

Ponder if the standard is going to use this thread of examples of abuse being through his way by Jeremy Corbryn supporter's

:hmm:

It's so old this kind of crap but still no less anger-inducing. From being brought up in a single parent family myself this bile was around way back when.

There are plenty of people who lap it up in ignorance but some of those who spout it from on high know very well it isn't so simple, they just hate the working class and will support or participate in anything that makes the lives of its poorest as difficult as possible, and make the rest more vulnerable to a slide into poverty.

Back
Top Bottom