Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Russell Brand on Revolution

Bereft of a response the corporate mouthpiece resorts to smear tactics via 911 truth accusation.

However, I do hope Brand isn't a truther.

But if he is, that's his business in a free thinking society and is irrelevant to his broader point.

Bereft of a response the corporate mouthpiece resorts to smear tactics via 911 truth accusation.

However, I do hope Brand isn't a truther.

But if he is, that's his business in a free thinking society and is irrelevant to his broader point.
except that once you go down the truther path - even just a little bit - what you say on other things loses any authority you may previously have had. because you've shown yourself credulous to the nth degree.

except that once you go down the truther path - even just a little bit - what you say on other things loses any authority you may previously have had. because you've shown yourself credulous to the nth degree.
you may as well have been in that tower block as far as your opinion matters, the same goes for anyone who listens believes Brand, remember how media figures fooled us in the 70's, I always think of him as a Berlusconi boy

you may as well have been in that tower block as far as your opinion matters, the same goes for anyone who listens believes Brand, remember how media figures fooled us in the 70's, I always think of him as a Berlusconi boy
i'll give your opinion the weight you suggest it deserves.

I think the element of performance is necessary because otherwise he will get bogged down in the distractions of the interviewer and questions designed to undermine what he is saying .. he does it really well imo
He's only human too and he's up against it every time he opens his mouth.
You have to be plain daft to think he's doing any of this as a career move imo

Yes - I should hope so
feather1.jpg

The gf described it as 'bullying', which it is a bit, invading personal space and shouting. After years of 'soft' BBC interviews of people who should be hung out to dry I can't say I'm particularly sympathetic.

I thought he did ok in that interview actually. He seemed, as far as Brand can, reasonable. it's also probably wise not to expect much and not to take it too seriously when you're on the likes of Newsnight.

At least it wasn't that awful Daily Politics shitfest with Andrew Neil (and Michael 'i hate the leftie bbc except it's my meal ticket these days' Portillo)

The media has decided to focus on 9-11 conspiracy theories. Not just the Mail either, who predictably do not mention a single point he made about specific groups taking direct action.

I think the difference in Brand between the Paxton interview and this one, is marked and notable! Whereas in the Paxton round he was, on several occasions, against the ropes in terms of providing practical alternatives to the status quo, in this interview he repeatedly uses the phrase "creative direct action" - which gives some shape to his proposals at least, especially with the examples he cites.

He has either been told by a PR expert, or (more likely) he's learned himself through practice, that air-time is precious, and to stick to the agenda of the interviewer is a lost opportunity. I LOVE the way he dismisses the graph, because at base level he is being told "Look here at this, this thing. Absorb this, and then I'll ask you a question about it." That technique is manipulative and leaves no room for Brand's alternative agenda - but we accept it as the normal paradigm because we're used to handing "journalists" and "interviewers" the power of the moment.

To then declare as Brand does "Well, I'm going to use this time to talk directly to the viewers...." is SUPERB! Not only rather funny, but succinctly encapsulates his demand that we should break down the power structures to which we currently acquiesce, and turn things on their heads. Who needs the capitalist mouthpiece that is Evan Davies, when there are several million people to be spoken to, in way that (like it or not folks!) will resonate with hundreds of thousands of them.

That interview with Davies was more impactful, made more sense, and was more inspiring in terms of practical direction than I've seen so far.

I come at this from the perspective that Brand might not be right on everything, but he is earnest and honest in what he says, he's a good-hearted man, and it chimes with me politics strongly. :)

I thought he did ok in that interview actually. He seemed, as far as Brand can, reasonable. it's also probably wise not to expect much and not to take it too seriously when you're on the likes of Newsnight.

At least it wasn't that awful Daily Politics shitfest with Andrew Neil (and Michael 'i hate the leftie bbc except it's my meal ticket these days' Portillo)

He didn't do ok, he was brilliant.

I LOVE Russell Brand. He can be a fucking twat and say some stupid shit and get some things wrong. But... he's fierce and he says what he thinks and he believes what he says.

i been saying for years that Russell Brand has good ideas on revolution (if i didnt do a thread on it here, i did on facebook). And although not leading the revolution himself, if he wasnt such a messer, could do it.

England needs a revolutionary (person) to lead the people. Russell Brand is good enough for me, but probably too much of a messer for the general public.

i been saying for years that Russell Brand has good ideas on revolution (if i didnt do a thread on it here, i did on facebook). And although not leading the revolution himself, if he wasnt such a messer, could do it.

England needs a revolutionary (person) to lead the people. Russell Brand is good enough for me, but probably too much of a messer for the general public.

Yeah they're not too keen on ex smackheads spouting shyte.

On the same comments thread.
ANTHONY MIGCHELS 8 hours ago
Ezra Pound was the greatest poet of the 20th century, a hero Populist, a champion against Usury who promoted the work of the likes of Gesell and Major Douglas and you, some extreme leftist marxist 'anarchist' think you can criticize that man? Or people who appreciate what he stood for? The war against the Bankers that run the asylum here?

Not impressed.

Others could lay claim to being the greatest poet of the 20th century. Pound was a fascist. What's so difficult to understand? :facepalm:

So you need a leader? Tbf to Brand, I don't even think that's what he's saying.

I think the difference in Brand between the Paxton interview and this one, is marked and notable! Whereas in the Paxton round he was, on several occasions, against the ropes in terms of providing practical alternatives to the status quo, in this interview he repeatedly uses the phrase "creative direct action" - which gives some shape to his proposals at least, especially with the examples he cites.

He has either been told by a PR expert, or (more likely) he's learned himself through practice, that air-time is precious, and to stick to the agenda of the interviewer is a lost opportunity. I LOVE the way he dismisses the graph, because at base level he is being told "Look here at this, this thing. Absorb this, and then I'll ask you a question about it." That technique is manipulative and leaves no room for Brand's alternative agenda - but we accept it as the normal paradigm because we're used to handing "journalists" and "interviewers" the power of the moment.

To then declare as Brand does "Well, I'm going to use this time to talk directly to the viewers...." is SUPERB! Not only rather funny, but succinctly encapsulates his demand that we should break down the power structures to which we currently acquiesce, and turn things on their heads. Who needs the capitalist mouthpiece that is Evan Davies, when there are several million people to be spoken to, in way that (like it or not folks!) will resonate with hundreds of thousands of them.

That interview with Davies was more impactful, made more sense, and was more inspiring in terms of practical direction than I've seen so far.

I come at this from the perspective that Brand might not be right on everything, but he is earnest and honest in what he says, he's a good-hearted man, and it chimes with me politics strongly. :)

Didn't realise Bill Paxton had interviewed him, did he die half way through?

So you need a leader? Tbf to Brand, I don't even think that's what he's saying.

Maybe that's not what he's explicitly saying, but he does come across as having a bit of a messiah complex himself.

upload_2014-10-25_9-11-2.jpeg

And is it just me, or is there a strong hint of the iconic Che picture in that?

Brand is providing the spectacle of resistance, rather than a genuine example of resistance to the spectacle or anything else.

Weird. I saw that interview and thought he's had some kind of breakdown. I've always liked him but I think he's finally done what he's threatened for a long time and disappeared up his own arse.

Back
Top Bottom