Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Rugby World Cup 2023

Apart from the fact the Farrell does deserve a ban, the whole debacle shows up how difficult it is for WR to change the culture of the game when the disciplinary committees seem to be at odds with WR. Also how a KC is allowed into a hearing that’s been heard by ex players. Finally the SH does have a ‘rugby has gone soft’ mentality and it is damaging the welfare of players.

Apart from the fact the Farrell does deserve a ban, the whole debacle shows up how difficult it is for WR to change the culture of the game when the disciplinary committees seem to be at odds with WR. Also how a KC is allowed into a hearing that’s been heard by ex players. Finally the SH does have a ‘rugby has gone soft’ mentality and it is damaging the welfare of players.
Yes, there was a lot of talk, when the original decision was announced, wrt the Aussies being a bit of an outlier when it came to attitudes towards head injuries; basically saying that players should man up and stop whinging. Pretty astonishing, really. I note that Eddie Jones has come out in support of Farrell, so no surprises there.

Anyway, confirmed that WR have appealed the decision. I hope that the three Aussie panel members never get a gig again.

Farrell not in the England 23 but he would have been were it not for the appeal.

England had a chance to do the right thing, they didn’t, and I think most England fans are pretty disappointed let alone everyone else.

One thing that shocked me watching rugby league was seeing two players run into each other at speed, head first. It was classed as a "clash of heads" and the tackler was given no penalty.

Am I correct in thinking the best time for a free month's Amazon Prime is the 29th September with final being 28th October? Assuming they're being shown on Amazon.

One thing that shocked me watching rugby league was seeing two players run into each other at speed, head first. It was classed as a "clash of heads" and the tackler was given no penalty.

Am I correct in thinking the best time for a free month's Amazon Prime is the 29th September with final being 28th October? Assuming they're being shown on Amazon.
Rugby league tackling style is very much the problem in Union, and the southern hemisphere are definitely behind the northern hemisphere - not least because a lot of their players grow up playing league

World Cup is on ITV it’s just the warm up games on prime :)

Aha that's good news :) Hence you? saying you were taking out prime for the warm up games. I don't buy much off amazon but it would almost be worth having the free month so as not to have to hunt for the box somewhere on the payment page saying Not this time but I promise to have Amazon Prime next order. I'm also fairly sure that once you've signed up for Amazon Prime it will be impossible to sign off.

Aha that's good news :) Hence you? saying you were taking out prime for the warm up games. I don't buy much off amazon but it would almost be worth having the free month so as not to have to hunt for the box somewhere on the payment page saying Not this time but I promise to have Amazon Prime next order. I'm also fairly sure that once you've signed up for Amazon Prime it will be impossible to sign off.
I’ve taken it out a few times for the free month and have always managed :)

Was it just me or was the penalty try bollocks?

Apart from that, went pretty much as I expected

England Ireland next, should also be a lolfest

I've not seen much NH rugby in a while. But jesus christ it's boring compared to the SH stuff a few weeks ago. What a grind.

I've not seen much NH rugby in a while. But jesus christ it's boring compared to the SH stuff a few weeks ago. What a grind.
Jesus yr talking shite, maybe watch some more of it. Our season is starting, the SH has been playing since feb.

Jesus yr talking shite, maybe watch some more of it. Our season is starting, the SH has been playing since feb.

No, I'm not talking shite. The pace of the game is not comparable. The SH teams throw it around like it's sevens sometimes. It's Bazball down there - we'll score more than you, faster than you and we don't care how many you score.

The proof will be in the WC of course but I know which I'd rather watch.

pointless stupid pelenty from England second in a week. let do shoulder barges without even bothering to attempt to loop the arms

what is the couch teaching the side :hmm:

pointless stupid pelenty from England second in a week. let do shoulder barges without even bothering to attempt to loop the arms

what is the couch teaching the side :hmm:
Exactly, i think England's problems run much deeper than certain individuals being thugs.

Reactions: Ax^
No, I'm not talking shite. The pace of the game is not comparable. The SH teams throw it around like it's sevens sometimes. It's Bazball down there - we'll score more than you, faster than you and we don't care how many you score.

Nah, the SH game is just different with a drier pitch and a different interpretation. The ball in play time has been higher in the north than the south.

Except that yes the conditions are different but there is more familiarity between the players. I can only talk if my time down there, but watching the chiefs play the canes was not so different from watching Waikato play Welly. The level of analysis that goes into the opposition is pretty low because all the lads played each other in the schools game, then club level, then provincial level then regional and finally national level.

There is a reason why attendance at the super rugby level is falling away while interest in the NRL is rising both sides of the Tasman and it’s all do do with actual competition rather than fantasy rugby.

I’m not saying the premiership, top 14, or URC is fantastic but there is more competition in the latter comps as in the champions cup.

Maybe yr right NZed will win the WC but it will be because Schmidt has put an attacking structure on that team honed in the northern hemisphere.

Nah, the SH game is just different with a drier pitch and a different interpretation. The ball in play time has been higher in the north than the south.

Except that yes the conditions are different but there is more familiarity between the players. I can only talk if my time down there, but watching the chiefs play the canes was not so different from watching Waikato play Welly. The level of analysis that goes into the opposition is pretty low because all the lads played each other in the schools game, then club level, then provincial level then regional and finally national level.

There is a reason why attendance at the super rugby level is falling away while interest in the NRL is rising both sides of the Tasman and it’s all do do with actual competition rather than fantasy rugby.

I’m not saying the premiership, top 14, or URC is fantastic but there is more competition in the latter comps as in the champions cup.

Maybe yr right NZed will win the WC but it will be because Schmidt has put an attacking structure on that team honed in the northern hemisphere.

Well they're doing something right down there. Interested to see how the new manager gets on after the WC. They do have some kind of production line going on. It's a shame the Barrett parents are probably too old now to breed further ;) Imagine having all three of your sons playing for the ABs at once. 1/5th of the starting lineup - insane.

World Rugby should question what is happening in england training.
League defence coach who is very green in Union. Attack coach who was a box kicking scrum half. Terrible discipline. Awful tactics of kicking, poor competing for kicks, no dynamism, static one-out runners off 9, Idiot players celebrating a scrum penalty which mean no ability to tap and go.

Think these red cards are actually strengthening England’s team though :hmm:

2 tries in 3 games - neither of which were off backline play makes me wonder how England can hope to win a game against a tier 1 team. Borthwick loves his stats and his percentages. That’s how he ticks.

How about this one Steve - You generally have to score 30 points to win against a tier 1 team which means around 4 tries - which also gets you a bonus point in the pool stage. At this rate 4 tries over the entire pool stage looks a stretch. What is your plan to score enough points to win a match?

All the crap about building and finding combinations when there are so many players with 50+ caps in the team, with multiple world cups behind them, and plenty of players have spent years together with England or at the same club.

Two of those matches are for warmup games. With Farrell and possibly Vunipola (should hear tomorrow) out of England’s first game I am feeling more optimistic about my chances of watching an England victory in Marseille.

Of course a Tongan player George Moala recently got 5 matches for a tackle; obviously when your Union can’t afford a smart lawyer and you’re not the star player of a leading team you get treated differently

Farrell should of got longer he was in the position to safely tackle and deliberately elevated his position to cause the offence

billy was just being a daft unit

Two of those matches are for warmup games. With Farrell and possibly Vunipola (should hear tomorrow) out of England’s first game I am feeling more optimistic about my chances of watching an England victory in Marseille.

Of course a Tongan player George Moala recently got 5 matches for a tackle; obviously when your Union can’t afford a smart lawyer and you’re not the star player of a leading team you get treated differently
How the hell were england allowed to backdate the ban to include a game farrell didnt play in, by choice?

Vunipola now banned for two games.
I think this improves the England team tbh, and really feel like there’s a lot of groupthink with England’s coaches who are all drawn from the same club, and mostly inexperienced as coaches, who played a very tedious style of rugby.

Anyway, teams being named for the final warmup games this weekend. Some surprisingly strong teams named. New Zealand play South Africa at Twickenham on Friday night (this one on sky for some reason), looks like a cracker. I’d have gone if I lived locally. Will look for a stream.

Scotland have also gone full noise against Georgia.

You can understand why as both NZ and Scotland have must-win games on the first weekend.

Reactions: Ax^
Back
Top Bottom