Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Rugby World Cup 2023

The speed that NZ play at is insane. It's like a different sport to what we see up here.

That opening game with France is going to be fucking mental. I just hope they don't snuff each other out, or either one cracks under pressure. It has the potential to be a total classic.

I haven't watched any rugby since last last WC but have England got any exciting/innovative players or are we just a load of lads with no necks grunting slowly towards the line and a couple who boot it 70 yards every time they get given the ball?

Will be watching that opening game in France - not at the match itself but I reckon atmosphere will be great where we are down in Marseille

So, NZ bossing it so far then Elpenor?
I'm only on text updates, but doesn't read like SA are bothering them much

You can watch it there ^^. And yeh, NZ look very good. The Barretts genuinely use the kick as a pass now, not just when they've got a penalty advantage. Saffas have come back into it a bit but that opening 20 mins has killed it basically.

Yeah, as I think flypanam said the organisation of Joe Schmidt has allowed NZ to play a lot more. Great variation of tactical kicking, and they’re starting fast as well (a historical issue) so not going 0-10 down, instead 10-0 up. With a mobile back row and the delivery speed of Smith at 9 they’re allowing a very high ball in play time.

SA have been sloppy, a few mistakes, but have had two try chances (one held up, one knock on). Defensively they’ve been trying to blitz NZ with linespeed - a historic weak spot for the all blacks see England 2019 - but it’s not working, been negated with chips over the top and quick hands etc.

As for their attack feels like one out runners playing off 9, nothing too exciting. They’ve not been able to get the ball wide quickly or often enough. I’ve been wondering a while if this SA team, which is very experienced, is perhaps running out of gas and ideas. Trying to win this years World Cup with the tactics that won the last one.

With that said, this ain’t a full strength SA team, those who played last week have had to travel from Argentina, and they’ve rarely won in Auckland.

Cracking game between Argentina and Australia in Sydney, early lead for the Aussies, then Argentina wake up. And with 10 minutes to go they’re in the lead, then Australia score a try to be just a few points behind and with Argentina attacking on the Aussie line there’s an intercept and the wallaby winger goes under the posts and they’re 4 points up. Then a last minute attack by Argentina makes it heartbreak for Australia.

I’m getting more negative about Englands chances now. The coach is cutting some of the more exciting players from the training squad, and I foresee a very turgid style of rugby.

The best scrum half domestically - Alex Mitchell - has been left out, and now the highest try scorer - Cadan Murley. Also a dynamic round the park, hard scrummaging prop in Val Rapava-Ruskin.

I probably won’t care too much if I see England win their first game in Marseille after about 10 pints, but still, right now, it annoys me.

First WC warm up is on this Saturday with Scotland Vs Italy.

The lack of coverage apart from the obvious stories of the players retiring makes this quite exciting. The last year or so in the 6N, Under 20's and TRC shows attacking rugby wins games, its something these two have tried. I'm really on the look out to see what Crowley is doing with Italy now that his contract is ending. His Canada team in 2011 were a joy to watch, hoping italy with a good pre-season can show something.

The news from the Ireland camp is pretty positive, way more relaxed regimen, two weeks on, a week light training at home or in small groups, two week on again. A lot on emphasis on Rugby and recovery. Which is pretty far removed from from the last 4 World Cups were the emphasis was on conditioning. I think the key for us this year will be ball in play time and we'll look to push it. Hopefully its a good balance.

Yeah I fancy Italy for this, possibly famous last words.

Think I’ll start my prime free trial from Saturday morning which should get me the full month of warm up games. Also of interest at the weekend is South Africa v Argentina, and New Zealand v Australia.

Form suggests home wins. However Australia are starting this wonderful mullet at flyhalf so anything is possible

IMG_7762.jpeg

Australia getting hammered - at present it’s 38-7 - in Melbourne by the All Blacks. Not a great start for Eddie Jones who’s now lost all 3 games.

They’ve had a few injuries and two players in the sin bin which hasn’t helped, and were briefly ahead 7-5 and missed a penalty to go 10-7 up.

Another early NZ try in the first five minutes that’s happened in all three matches now. ,

Their World Cup opener against France looks tantalising now. And there’s a good chance that New Zealand are the QF opponent for Ireland or Scotland too…

Australia getting hammered - at present it’s 38-7 - in Melbourne by the All Blacks. Not a great start for Eddie Jones who’s now lost all 3 games.

They’ve had a few injuries and two players in the sin bin which hasn’t helped, and were briefly ahead 7-5 and missed a penalty to go 10-7 up.

Another early NZ try in the first five minutes that’s happened in all three matches now. ,

Their World Cup opener against France looks tantalising now. And there’s a good chance that New Zealand are the QF opponent for Ireland or Scotland too…

That tackle on the Wallabies scrum half was fucking lovely

NZ increasingly looking to be back on their best form, although tbf we aren't seeing them agains the best of the rest i.e Ireland and France, so yeah as you say, that opening game is looking tasty

Nice to see uncle Eddie getting shit.

Your comments in the earlier post about Borthwick's selections Elpenor, I agree, but the question I guess is what is he building? Guess we'll find out a bit in the games against Wales and then more in the game against Ireland. It'll be interesting!

I'm looking forward to France v Scotland next week!

I reckon we are going to get a power game. Borthwick has been seduced by the size and speed of Joe Cokanasiga, he’s a great athlete when fit but doesn’t really know how to play rugby as he was always the biggest player at age group level. Doesn’t make much ground in the contact area and a quality defence will deal with him.

Whereas Murley and Mercer (discarded winger and no 8) are powerful through the contact, and are hard abrasive runners. A lot of players will be at their 2nd or 3rd World Cup, this is a bit of a dads army selection IMO.

If it wasn’t for the easy group draw I’d say out in the QF, as it is England could get to a final by playing themselves into form

Darcey Graham is nippy innee.
He was good. Although it was the first warm up and both sides rusty I thought Italy despite losing looked to have evolved their game more than Scotland have. Have to say that Italian seven was fantastic, he seems to have an almost all court game. And the Garbisi the younger brother looks like he’ll develop into a wonderful scrum half.

Healy, had a so so game, but what a kicker. I guess we’ll have a true estimate of Scotland after that second match against France.

Ireland vs Italy: Jimmy O'Brien; Keith Earls, Robbie Henshaw, Stuart McCloskey, Jacob Stockdale; Jack Crowley, Craig Casey; Dave Kilcoyne, Rob Herring, Tom O'Toole; Iain Henderson (capt), Joe McCarthy; Ryan Baird, Caelan Doris, Jack Conan.

Replacements: Tom Stewart, Cian Healy, Tadhg Furlong, Tadhg Beirne, Cian Prendergast, Caolin Blade, Ciarán Frawley, Calvin Nash.

Pretty happy with this, good to see the fringe getting a run. I like Jimmy O'Brien at full back because although we're not bare there, having more options is important. Also Doris at openside is a surprise and good to see Stockdale getting a chance, he'll have to have a great game to make the 31.

ETA d’oh 33

Last edited:
All kicks off in 5 weeks time.

Warmup games tomorrow

New Zealand v Australia is in the small hours. New Zealand surely to win based on form.

Then it’s Scotland v France, Wales v England, Ireland v Italy as afternoon turns to evening. Argentina play South Africa too, as the Pumas are at home I’d back them to win.

I’d expect most of the games involving NH teams to be scrappy as they’re playing their first rugby for a few months.

I’ve only really paid attention to England’s team which is a bit of a shootout for some last minute decisions on fringe squad members as they name their 33 man squad on Monday. Wales are trying out a few uncapped players. Weather seems windy but maybe the roof will be closed? Suspect England will scrape a crap game.

Scotland might do well against a French team which is very much a C-string selection.

Scotland might do well against a French team which is very much a C-string selection.

Scottish defence is in bits
I'm genuinely disappointed.
Happy with our performance, but wtf is going on with Scotland?

This is more or less Scotland’s starting backline, if not pack. They’ve got a lot to sort out as this score at half time is an embarrassment.

Scottish defence is in bits
I'm genuinely disappointed.
Happy with our performance, but wtf is going on with Scotland?
It's still a first hit out for most of the players. However, I thought they hadn't progressed their game last week. This week they seems to have got worse. It could be that their just been cagey and don't want to show anything they have been working on.

ETA lovely to see Woki back. What a player.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom