Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

PM Boris Johnson - monster thread for a monster twat

Wondering if a general election is a way out of the long civil war for Johnson and the tories. I might put a tenner on early October, before the bills hit.
sept at the latest because after that (barring unseasonable heat) attention will be more greatly drawn to the cost of fuel

i'd say just after the bills hit and they can spend years blaming Boris for the living crises than ensues
sadly johnson is likely to think solely of his own interests rather than those of the country or indeed his party when deciding the date of the next general election

Reactions: Ax^
I hope that Starmer's investigation doesn't result in an FPN as Johnson would pick that time to go to the country. Even though Starmer would do the honourable thing and quit while Johnson lies and doesn't regret it at all.

I hope that Starmer's investigation doesn't result in an FPN as Johnson would pick that time to go to the country. Even though Starmer would do the honourable thing and quit while Johnson lies and doesn't regret it at all.
i wonder whether shammer would say that any fpn should be tested in the courts where the evidence can be weighed

Pretty sure the Fixed Term Parliament act means that Labour would need to agree, which they wouldn't.

Wondering if a general election is a way out of the long civil war for Johnson and the tories. I might put a tenner on early October, before the bills hit.

I hadn’t thought about this till today. It would be madness for the Tories. But Big Dog’s ego is so big perhaps he’ll do it in the hope / belief that as the rightful ‘king of the world’ as he described himself he will win on the backs of the adoring serfs?

I bloody hope so…

The opposition's debate, standards in public life, has been confirmed to be going ahead this afternoon.

I think this has come up before and I was surprised to learn that the FTP act had been repealed or something.
It didnt surprise me because it was really blatant that they only adopted this rule in the first place when a coalition government was formed. They just wanted a way to stop the media & political opponents speculating about the coalition collapsing for its entire lifetime, so we ended up with that bill to serve that situation. It was dressed up as the way things would be from then on, but it always seemed likely that once its original purpose was no longer relevant, and once it became a hindrance to a sitting governments desire to manipulate electoral timing, it would be ditched.

To be honest, an election with Labour lead by someone other than Starmer would be perfect. In that kind of scenario there wouldn't be time for a Labour leadership election so Rayner would take over. Having said that, I've never been that convinced by her performance since becoming deputy.

the fixed term parliament act was bollocks anyway - 2017 and 2019 elections were held while it was still in place.

i can't imagine any opposition party saying what amounts to 'no, we don't want a general election, we are quite happy with your lot staying in power until the 5 years is up'

the fixed term parliament act was bollocks anyway - 2017 and 2019 elections were held while it was still in place.

i can't imagine any opposition party saying what amounts to 'no, we don't want a general election, we are quite happy with your lot staying in power until the 5 years is up'
...except one lead by Jeremy Corbyn.

To be honest, an election with Labour lead by someone other than Starmer would be perfect. In that kind of scenario there wouldn't be time for a Labour leadership election so Rayner would take over. Having said that, I've never been that convinced by her performance since becoming deputy.

She's far from perfect, but I'd take her over Starmer. And she wouldn't be as shy as Corbyn was about answering back to the inevitable Murdoch press vilification.

Still at least we'll be able to buy 5lb of spuds, even if it will cost about the same as a Lamborghini.

She's far from perfect, but I'd take her over Starmer. And she wouldn't be as shy as Corbyn was about answering back to the inevitable Murdoch press vilification.
Yeah, absolutely, in the politics of the Labour Party she's about as good as you could get at the moment. And taking on the Murdoch press, as she did over the 'legs' misogyny might work out rather well. Don't know what it is though, I like her 'in office' persona a bit less than before she was deputy leader.

If I was to play the game of 'anarchists choose a Labour leader', it would have to be Burnham (though that's not going to happen till at least 2024). In the cynical way you do electoral politics, he beats johnson on honesty - well, fucking hell, I beat johnson on honesty - doesn't frighten the horses and is northern. He's also dull, but not in a Starmer kind of way. Starner is whiny, whipped cur kind of dull, Burnham is solid dull. Awful politics, but pretty much the mirror image of johnson's lying shitbaggery.

Anyway, I'd better get back to the anarchism. :oops:

The fixed term parliament thing is a testament to politicians crude collective self interest. The one thing it was supposed to do was to stop PMs calling early elections out of pure opportunism (even if it did have provisions that allowed them to suspend it). And of course what happened was...

this story doesn't say that Jeremy Corbyn refused a general election though.
4th September 2019, Labour (under Corbyn) abstained on a motion to repeal the FTPA, knowing that in doing so it would prevent a GE. You may cry 'semantics', but the intention and result are that he refused a GE.

If I was to play the game of 'anarchists choose a Labour leader', it would have to be Burnham (though that's not going to happen till at least 2024). In the cynical way you do electoral politics, he beats johnson on honesty - well, fucking hell, I beat johnson on honesty - doesn't frighten the horses and is northern. He's also dull, but not in a Starmer kind of way. Starner is whiny, whipped cur kind of dull, Burnham is solid dull. Awful politics, but pretty much the mirror image of johnson's lying shitbaggery.

Anyway, I'd better get back to the anarchism. :oops:

I haven't been paying very close attention because, well, on this side of the pennines we mostly try to ignore Manchester, but he does seem to have become a little less dull than when he was Labour front bench. More to do with the freedom and status of leading a powerful city as a member of the party in national opposition than some sudden discovery of personality or principles, though.

Back
Top Bottom