Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

PM Boris Johnson - monster thread for a monster twat

Any hopes Johnson might have had that this would be the end of his problems seem to have been dashed

Time for Johnson to leave - Hague

The former Conservative leader Lord Hague has called on Boris Johnson to quit as PM, saying he has experienced a "greater level of rejection" than any of his predecessors.

Writing in the Times, the peer says that while Johnson survived the vote, "the damage done to his premiership is severe. Words have been said that cannot be retracted, reports published that cannot be erased, and votes have been cast that show a greater level of rejection than any Tory leader has ever endured and survived," he writes.

"Deep inside, he should recognise that, and turn his mind to getting out in a way that spares party and country such agonies and uncertainties."

Any hopes Johnson might have had that this would be the end of his problems seem to have been dashed

Time for Johnson to leave - Hague

Here's Hague's full comment piece - archive.ph

The nature of this particular revolt makes it qualitatively as well as quantitatively devastating. A fairly narrow victory for Boris Johnson is not the defeat of a rival faction, or the squashing of an alternative candidate, but rather the fending-off of a gathering feeling of hopelessness. It is less likely to prove a turning point than a way marker on an exhausting road to further crises of confidence. That is the worst possible result from the Conservative Party’s point of view. Logically, they should either reconcile themselves to Johnson and get behind him, or decisively eject him and move on to a new leader. It does not seem they have done either.
A leader has to be able to draw on the great majority of talent in their party, to inspire MPs, members, supporters and voters to fresh efforts to win more election victories in the future. A prime minister has to feel sufficiently secure with his or her own MPs to insist on difficult policy decisions and not fear at any moment a resignation by ministers or a new declaration of opposition from MPs that makes their job impossible. With massive economic and security challenges intensifying, the job cannot be done from a position of weakness, with a sullen and disaffected party.

With all the usual caveats regarding vox pops...on a number of channels yesterday those interviewed that were still favourable towards blustercunt (often “Red Wallers”) almost universally stated the justification that “there was no one else who could lead the party/nation”.

Seems that line has really reasonated with those who want to believe. I suppose it might be inevitable with a “personality” politician at the top with few actual achievements or one that has surrounded himself with incompetents, but it looks also like something that the LP should take notice off.

I think it’s a smart move. It traps the 148 Tories that voted no confidence in Boris Johnson — either they vote against the government and bring it down or they admit that their principles extend no further than party politics, which the bulk of voters dislike. At the moment, these MPs can defend themselves to their constitutuents by saying that they also dislike Johnson and voted accordingly. But here they will have to make a public declaration of support for him.

Of course, the government will actually refuse to give time to the motion of no confidence. And that makes them look like they’re scared of it — scared of their own MPs.

I think it’s a smart move. It traps the 148 Tories that voted no confidence in Boris Johnson — either they vote against the government and bring it down or they admit that their principles extend no further than party politics, which the bulk of voters dislike. At the moment, these MPs can defend themselves to their constitutuents by saying that they also dislike Johnson and voted accordingly. But here they will have to make a public declaration of support for him.

Of course, the government will actually refuse to give time to the motion of no confidence. And that makes them look like they’re scared of it — scared of their own MPs.

I'm not sure it's that smart, though it depends in what they hope the result to be.

It seems inevitable that all or almost all those MPs who voted anonymously against Johnson last night will now vote publicly that they have confidence in Johnson's government.

And even though the result of the vote is a foregone conclusion, in a way that last night's vote wasn't, winning it may actually strengthen Johnson's position for the time being.

It seems inevitable that all or almost all those MPs who voted anonymously against Johnson last night will now vote publicly that they have confidence in Johnson's government.
That’s exactly what they want to happen.
And even though the result of the vote is a foregone conclusion, in a way that last night's vote wasn't, winning it may actually strengthen Johnson's position for the time being.
With his MPs, possibly. But the Lib Dems don’t care about that, they care about winning the by-election and winning further constitiuencies in a few years’ time. Johnson is a toxic brand, and they want to be able to say that the Tory MPs in their target seats all backed him.

That’s exactly what they want to happen.

With his MPs, possibly. But the Lib Dems don’t care about that, they care about winning the by-election and winning further constitiuencies in a few years’ time. Johnson is a toxic brand, and they want to be able to say that the Tory MPs in their target seats all backed him.

I see your point, but I don't think it's that significant in the up-coming by-election.

Might be significant at the next GE, depending on the circumstances - there's still a good chance Johnson will be gone by then, but if he is, it won't be because of anything the LibDems have done.

No it doesn't. Other than the dozen or so who publicised their vote of no confidence, neither Boris nor the public know who voted for/against him, so they can vote however they want in a parliamentary VoNC.

Am I right in thinking that a parliamentary VoNC would bring down the government and trigger a GE? If so, no Tory would vote for to support that, it's obvious why, and I expect all tory-voting public would agree.

I'm not sure it's that smart, though it depends in what they hope the result to be.

Also, in a sense, there is no 148. With it being a secret ballot, the only ones truly put on the spot are the ones who publicly called for him to go.

No it doesn't. Other than the dozen or so who publicised their vote of no confidence, neither Boris nor the public know who voted for/against him, so they can vote however they want in a parliamentary VoNC.

Am I right in thinking that a parliamentary VoNC would bring down the government and trigger a GE? If so, no Tory would vote for to support that, it's obvious why, and I expect all tory-voting public would agree.
Assuming that the overwhelming majority of the 170 MPs on payroll made up the bulk of the 211 voting in confidence, it will be pretty easy for the media to identify most of the 40 backbenchers that voted similarly. The 148 will not easily hide behind the 'secret vote'.

Also, any tory who votes against the government and/or johnson loses the whip - probably permanently and thus their seat at the next election.

Back
Top Bottom