Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

PM Boris Johnson - monster thread for a monster twat

I vaguely remember being surprised when it happened, but can't recall whether that was solely because of the suddenness (9 days!) or whether there had been rumblings of discontent from her own party for some time ... I think there was surprise and joy at her finally going cos she'd been PM for all my adult life up till then, winning three General Elections she seemed unstoppable.

Just been reading this on the Wikipedia; seems she resigned on 22 November 1990, but Labour had been leading the opinion polls since mid-1989, and the widespread opposition to the poll tax, including the March 1990 riot, indicated that she'd lost her touch. Plus inflation was high and interest rates even higher. So I guess the writing was on the wall for some time, whether we realised it or not.

And Heseltine was lurking for years after calling her a liar and resigning, and the press knew it. And they suffered some notable by-election defeats, and even a prior leadership contest that I dont remember.

I was still at school anyway, and I do recall how news of her political demise spread round the school quicker than Covid-19.

It seems the gap was longer than 9 days if I count it from the day Howe resigned. The timescale I indicated was the gap between his resignation speech and Thatcher becoming toast. Apparently he didnt give his speech earlier because he had lost his voice!

It was still the relatively early days of televised coverage of the commons back then too.

there was a leadership challenge in a year earlier in November 1989 with a "stalking horse" - anthony meyer - some old timer tory mp who still managed to get 33 mps to vote for him. It showed there was some serious discontent brewing amongst the parliamentary vermin. the following year opposition to the poll tax was full on and reflected in plummeting polls, byelection defeats and widespread angry protests . Howes resignation and "dead sheep" speech was actually over her Eu stance and general high-handedness/ demented dictator schtick - and it triggered the leadership election that ousted her - but it was the poll tax that really fucked her.

It also seemed that at one point it looked like they would lose the 1988 election, and the likes of Heseltine had originally planned to position themselves for the party leadership in the wake of that loss.

Back to the torygraph; are they embarrassed by Johnson. Take a peek inside and you will see they have breakdown of the runners and riders to take over from him. Sunak @ 2/1 and Truss @ 5/1.

Thatcher cunningly avoided this by having the 1988 election a year earlier, in 1987

Oops, that will teach me not to think properly when I read this on Heseltines wikipedia page:

Apart from the clash of personalities, and the escalation of small issues into bigger issues, it has been suggested that Heseltine, concerned at impending Defence cuts in 1986, and worried that Thatcher was unlikely to promote him further, was looking for an excuse for a resignation, which would put him in good stead to be elected party leader after, as seemed likely at the time, the Conservatives lost the next election due by summer 1988.

Presumably gove et al don't want him to go just yet and certainly don't want to be the ones killing him off mid-Covid crisis. Unless he does something even more stupid than normal, they'll wait for him being forced to put something in front of parliament that leads to his backbenchers doing for him or sending letters to the 1922 cunt. johnson's game is trying to get away with helping business, more boosters and some ineffectual levels of social distancing, whilst avoiding things that really slow the virus. Limited headroom to say the least.

I think what's really cut Boris down is that he mastered the art of the personable photo op and charismatic #bants in the press.

Covid has shat on that, he can't pull pints and do charming fun photo ops anymore. He's a clown who can't clown and suddenly it turns out the performance is just a performance, there really is nothing under it.
It's also that the media has started asking basic questions rather than giving his 'hilarious japes' a complete free ride. He's shocked, that's never happened before.

Presumably gove et al don't want him to go just yet and certainly don't want to be the ones killing him off mid-Covid crisis. Unless he does something even more stupid than normal, they'll wait for him being forced to put something in front of parliament that leads to his backbenchers doing for him or sending letters to the 1922 cunt. johnson's game is trying to get away with helping business, more boosters and some ineffectual levels of social distancing, whilst avoiding things that really slow the virus. Limited headroom to say the least.
I'm happy for him to remain now as long as possible, to the detriment of the raft of frankly frightening legislation they want to pass, in many policy areas. It's a tough one for me, given Covid and the lack of executive grip. I wouldn't like a vaguely competent leader pushing their libertarian wank fantasies onto the statute books.

For that reason, I'm backing Truss. Britain needs a surgical Truss :D

I'm happy for him to remain now as long as possible, to the detriment of the raft of frankly frightening legislation they want to pass, in many policy areas.
I don't really have any idea, but isn't it possible that a new leader might dump a small proportion of the shit legislation? Which would probably be the best you can hope for in any scenario.

ETA: I suppose they would probably dump some of the shit legislation and then come up with an equal quantity of equally shit alternative legislation.

I don't really have any idea, but isn't it possible that a new leader might dump a small proportion of the shit legislation? Which would probably be the best you can hope for in any scenario.

ETA: I suppose they would probably dump some of the shit legislation and then come up with an equal quantity of equally shit alternative legislation.
None of us have any idea tbh, but this is my basic thinking. I'm shit at predictions in any case, so best just to be fatalistic and get the popcorn out :)

Back
Top Bottom