Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

PM Boris Johnson - monster thread for a monster twat

This bullshit concerning rule Britania and land of hope and glory being removed from the Proms appears to have been entirely manufactured by the media. No-one in BLM has called for it. Classic distraction techinique anyone?
While there's no specific demand, cultural institutions are all reviewing their content right now in the light of BLM - partly because it's the right thing to do (and is way past time anyway), partly to be seen to be doing something, and partly out of fear of having their statues pulled down by an unruly mob (metaphorically, but also physically) - so it's not totally manufactured.

The removal of Rule Britannia from the proms is right, but it's removal will inevitably be a source of conflict, and it will also inevitably be leveraged by the right to forment discontent in their support. But what's the alternative?

killer b I think in this particular instance it is totally munufactured, but you'll hear no dissagreement from me that rule Britiania should be removed from the Proms

killer b I think in this particular instance it is totally munufactured, but you'll hear no dissagreement from me that rule Britiania should be removed from the Proms
Do you think the BBC have announced it's removal as some kind of provocation? This year's proms launch this week, they kind of had to announce something.

Do you think the BBC have announced it's removal as some kind of provocation? This year's proms launch this week, they kind of had to announce something.
Apparently it was because that particular part of the Proms is an audience participation thing and because of the pandemic it became redundant. The Right-wing media fairly predicably seized upon it for reasons that are also fairly predictable.

e2a

I nominate this for future events. :)

Last edited:
do you believe that's the only consideration they had?
Well, they probably also noticed that Peter Crouch is quite a big bloke,and they didn't want to argue with him about saving summer

(zoom singing is slightly more technically challenging than it looks)

As I unsderstand it, there's also a huge logistics problem with the proms this year. Just how do you socially distance with a 60-piece symphony orchestra, without rendering performance farcical?

Back
Top Bottom