Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

PM Boris Johnson - monster thread for a monster twat

Can someone please explain what the R is? (as if you are talking to a five year old)
The R number is the average number of people each infected person passes the infection on to.

If it's greater than 1, the number of new cases increases, if it's less than 1 the number decreases.

(now run along and play, the grown ups are a bit busy right now ;) )

its a good movie but it will give a better explanation of the principle of the R number than most of the shit the government is trying to tell you

Am surprised he didn't say anything about ending the furlough scheme.It seems that only those who are working from home (and are therefore on the employer's payroll) now have an excuse not to go into work.If that is what is meant the furlough scheme is surely a dead-letter?

Am surprised he didn't say anything about ending the furlough scheme.It seems that only those who are working from home (and are therefore on the employer's payroll) now have an excuse not to go into work.If that is what is meant the furlough scheme is surely a dead-letter?

They have a update on that on Wednesday

few things have leaked mind

most its going to be dropped to about 60 % of Wages

and if you cannot live with that

Best to get another job

whilst no on is doing interviews or hiring as we expect a economic crisis

They have a update on that on Wednesday

few things have leaked mind

most its going to be dropped to about 60 % of Wages

and if you cannot live with that

Best to get another job

whilst no on is doing interviews or hiring as we expect a economic crisis
You can always go fruit picking in East Anglia. No excuse, slaves

Yeah, I may sloppily have used the word rate when talking about it in the past, but when you think of r words to go with this R, think reproduction or ratio, not rate. A related rate would be something like the doubling time. The doubling time does get a look in when the likes of Whitty speak in detail, but R has become so much more famous, and hopefully the halving time will be more relevant than doubling time from now on.

RrGulrG.jpg

On reflection that equation is fine, they just missed a couple of terms from the right hand side. They should have added:

- number of infections - R + Alert level

Let's go back to basics...

Tell me - what are the units of R? (feel free to use either SI or imperial)
Does R have units? Or is it anumber per X of population? A rate implies per unit of time, which could be per day, per week etc

In which case the number of infections is not absolute, that should also be per X of population.or per the same unit of time.

So the alert level is more of an alert rate.

I think 19force8 was quoting Johnson (never a good idea :) ).

I've been trying to work out what would be an actual formula and replacing the plus with a multiply or exponent or negative exponent and something multiplied by the number of infections (presumably for the last week, perhaps related to the hospital capacity) and still can't see how it would make any sense.

I think 19force8 was quoting Johnson (never a good idea :) ).

I've been trying to work out what would be an actual formula and replacing the plus with a multiply or exponent or negative exponent and something multiplied by the number of infections (presumably for the last week, perhaps related to the hospital capacity) and still can't see how it would make any sense.
It doesn't make sense. Alert level implies an absolute number but the other components are per unit of time. It's not dimensionally correct as the units don't appear to be balanced.

Government in doesn't understand maths shocker.

Does R have units? Or is it anumber per X of population? In which case the number of infections is not absolute, that should also be per X of population.
R is dimensionless. Ergo, it's not a rate on that basis alone. It's not a rate anyway. It was originally coined as 'basic case reproduction rate' in the epidemiological terminology in the 1950s when introduced by MacDonald but the term is avoided in modern literature as it introduces confusion: it is a ratio and does not itself tell you anything about the spread over time.

R is dimensionless. Ergo, it's not a rate on that basis alone. It's not a rate anyway. It was originally coined as 'basic case reproduction rate' in the epidemiological terminology in the 1950s when introduced by MacDonald but the term is avoided in modern literature as it introduces confusion: it is a ratio and does not itself tell you anything about the spread over time.
When is a rate not a rate? When it's used in an equation proposed by the government...

Back
Top Bottom