Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pick For Britain: UK workers needed as foreign workers flown into UK amid crisis in farming sector

If consumers can drive costs down why isn't everything sold below cost price?
Milk represents quite a complex market with the retail corps, as the main buyers, operating as oligopsonists able to dictate their own (low) price based on a kinked demand curve enabling them to offer the product as a loss leader to be cross-subsidised by other, higher margin, lines.

Nonsense to say that consumers can drive down price; any A level student would know the only way to do that (ceteris paribus) would be for their total market demand to fall causing the d curve to shift lowering equilibrium price.

It’s not fair to say it’s consumers driving down prices but they do play a part in the mechanics, supermarkets rely on specific products to drive up footfall and make consumers buy other things and milk is one of them. One of the things they noticed early on was that if these products were priced to high customers would automatically go elsewhere.

As such they make a concentrated effort to keep them about the same price between them after many years pissing about competing with each other to undercut.

People can't afford to. I agree that people should be fighting for higher wages and better conditions though.
Why would you quote that one part of my post and disagree with it, when there was nothing to disagree with, because I actually said this:

People need to fuck supermarkets off, and start buying from butchers and others who don't screw their workers and suppliers, and at the same time, people need to fight for a wage that will allow this.

Someones not short of a few bob

The theory is that it helps one reduce ones meat intake - quality over quantity.

I shall be testing such theory in the near future as I don’t wish to give up meat as it is tasty and full of nutrients that a vegetarian diet lacks.

The theory is that it helps one reduce ones meat intake - quality over quantity.

I shall be testing such theory in the near future as I don’t wish to give up meat as it is tasty and full of nutrients that a vegetarian diet lacks.
I'd say you're not too bright. But we know that already.

Marty doesn't even seem aware that a vegetarian diet still includes animal products and that even a properly planned vegan diet is not deficient in nutrients.

Even when they do (and I'm a veggie who takes multivits and flax-seed oil capsules), that doesn't mean that a veggie or vegan diet lacks nutritiousness.

"Lacks nutritiousness" is a very wooly phrase. There really aren't many nutrients that your common-or-garden veggie is lacking though. And we're all pretty much deficient in vitamin D.

Which can be helped by getting out in the field and picking some veg.

With the price of milk, I really don't think consumers would turn around and go and shop at a different store if the milk were increased in price by, say, 2p, but that extra 2p per litre could make a difference to dairy farmers.

"Lacks nutritiousness" is a very wooly phrase.

Do you dispute the essential validity of my statement though?
(Bear in mind that in general, I avoid any militant or pushy postings in veggie/vegan threads)

But to break my rule and quote somebody, "full of nutrients that a vegetarian diet lacks" isn't any better.

Back
Top Bottom