Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pick For Britain: UK workers needed as foreign workers flown into UK amid crisis in farming sector

Back in the day you would get local farmers selling their produce on stalls in York market. Believe me, this market was very far removed from the 'farmers' markets' of today. :D

Just wondering where traditional street markets get their fruit and veg from - is it direct from the farmers? There are certainly traditional street markets here in Lewisham and Catford which do a good trade.

Places like Covent Garden are where stallholders would get produce.

I know someone from London who did grow up in the street market trade. When he started out wiith his own stall he told me you could make good money out of it. Hours were long but very good money if you had a good pitch According to him it was the growth of supermarkets that affected street markets.

He has shown me street market near Angel that is a shadow of its former self. Told me that on Saturdays people would fight over one of the temporary pitches as the money was so good on weekend.

Its only been in the last generation that selling fruit and veg on street markets has gone downhill.

He reckons Tescos and the big supermarkets must make a big profit as they arent paying their workers that much..

The growth of online shopping is another reason. Cheap goods from a street market are now available online.

I would not get to misty eyed over street markets though.My friend told me of tricks of the trade to bump income up. Its a case of the independent worker getting made into a proletarian working for a large capitalist concern. Some of the technology to bring food into cities like London and distribute in large central supermarkets would be ok if these giant enterprises were democratically owned and run.

Im curious what their argument was, have you a link?
I can't find it now, only a little bit of discussion. Would have been a weird thing for me to have dreamt up though.

I think it's to do with the fact that random Brits would be 'unskilled', and the NMW - as they see it - is the price they normally pay for skilled workers. The piece rate system probably comes into it too.

I know a bloke who's parents run a fruit and veg wholesalers, they supply the little shops and the stalls that sell fruit on street ('grapes a poooouuund blueberries two pooooouuuuunnnd') and they are fucking loaded

I know a bloke who's parents run a fruit and veg wholesalers, they supply the little shops and the stalls that sell fruit on street ('grapes a poooouuund blueberries two pooooouuuuunnnd') and they are fucking loaded
Top of the food chain there

Two paand of mushroom for a paand , is one that's stuck with me. Up there with £1 Fish song

There is new spitalfield in Leyton that provides for, amongst others, our local street market in Walthamstow. Until recently those greengrocer stalls did really well

Accommodation & safe daily transport to work are going to be huge hurdles.

Guess it might appeal if you’re a student stuck in lockdown with your parents. But what if you’re someone who already rents a room somewhere?

And managing people’s expectations of the pace of work...

A comment on not blaming farmers for low wages.

Every small business employer I've worked with has said something along the lines of they would pay more but you can't blame them. Your lucky to have a job. This is how this kind of job is. It's your fault for doing it. Etc

Pick your own strawberries is still a thing - it's fairly common, isn't it? I've never done it due to lack of a car but I know lots of people who do it at least once every summer with their kids. Guess that could count as training now :D

I can't find it now, only a little bit of discussion. Would have been a weird thing for me to have dreamt up though.

I think it's to do with the fact that random Brits would be 'unskilled', and the NMW - as they see it - is the price they normally pay for skilled workers. The piece rate system probably comes into it too.

Guess they're trying to ignore the word "minimum" then.

A comment on not blaming farmers for low wages.

Every small business employer I've worked with has said something along the lines of they would pay more but you can't blame them. Your lucky to have a job. This is how this kind of job is. It's your fault for doing it. Etc
How much profit do you reckon is in milk, when you can buy it for about 27p per 1000 gallons in the supermarket?

Every dairy farmer in Worcestershire is screaming on Facebook that they are pouring hundreds, thousands of litres of milk down the drain every day because they simply can't get rid of it.

Most of them are giving it away at the farm gate - bring your own containers and you can have as much as you like...

This is a bit long and prob self-indulgent post but I went to bed last night reminiscing about the month me and my mates went strawberry picking and keep thinking about it. This is what I remember from the first day.

We were 16 or so, most in the last year at school but I'd been expelled just after Easter, the farm was in a place called Pepper Arden. We'd all had Saturday jobs or paper rounds but this was the first time we were going to work properly and it was going to be an adventure. The foreman, a Scottish bloke with shifty eyes, tattoos and an accent that was difficult to understand said to turn up Monday at 8.00. One of my mates mother said shed take us there but then rang on the Sunday to say that as she had to be at work at 8.00 shed drop us off at the farm at 7.00 so we had to wait outside the farm, which either gave the foreman the impression that we were either very keen or couldn't tell the time. There was quite a lot of people about fourty or so, mixed bunch with bags of food and drink, mainly locals who all knew each other, loads of women including some who had brought their pre teen kids, and to our delight some girls about our age who were quite good looking.

We all marched in to what seemed endless rows of plants with loads of straw in fields and the Scottish bloke took our group aside and showed us how to pick the clipping the stalk near to the flower petal on the top of the strawberries and into punnets with the tip pointing to the top, there were trays containing about eight punnets. You had to pick a fully ripened strawberry. The sun was out, it was a lovely day and we were in some rows next to these girls. So far so good.

It was then that the day got gradually worse. First of all we got told off for chatting too much to these girls and not concentrating on picking strawberries, then chatting to the girls became impossible unless we shouted as they picked very quickly and kept getting further up their row and further away from us. So, in my haste to catch up I picked more quickly but this meant I was often picking unripe ones and kept pulling the flower thing off the end as did some of my mates. So, we then had the indignity at break time, in front of the girls we were trying to impress, of this foreman routing through the boxes of strawberries that we'd picked holding up examples of poor-quality control and saying it wasn't good enough. Part of problem was my nails were short and pinching the stalk was easier if you had longer nails on your thumb and first finger.

At break time we also noticed a group of students, who we hadn't seen when we first arrived as they were camping out on the farm, about two possibly three years older than us who clearly though they were great engaging with these girls that we liked. Anyway we cracked on after the break and started to get a bit more proficient and started to talk to 'our girls again', cementing our initial engagement brought us further confidence and a bit of light headedness which resulted in one of the girls aunts, quite an outspoken and frightening woman herself, shouting across the rows to tell us to mind our language. Enter the Scotsman who loudly requests us to get on with work and to refrain swearing. So, we pressed on in the heat in silence, only to get thirsty in the sun and then kept getting further behind as we kept going to a tap to drink water. (The locals had brought both food and bottles of water and pop and put them near where the strawberries were being stacked) .This of course did not go unnoticed by the eagle eyed Scotsman who now found he had a willing audience of the pickers to engage with his casual observations that we would be owing him money rather than him paying us money at the end of the week.

Having spent most of the last five years at school eating school dinners or and watching Westerns where people gathered round to eat communally it came as a bit of a surprise that lunch wasn't provided. There were no shops nearby but some of the girls let us have some of their sandwiches which allowed us to futher attempt to cement what could be a promising summer of love. We went back to work only to find that the Scotsman had now moved us away from being next to the girls and we were now next to the students. The girls were on the other side of the students which meant we had to catch their eye and talk over the students.

We didn't really know any students apart from some brothers and sisters of girls we knew from the top end of our village who lived in the posh houses so it was a bit hard to engage with them on equal terms. They were all very confident, lots of in jokes we didn't understand, kept saying French phrases that we didn't understand and were all into Pink Floyd and rock and we were into Tamla and Bowie .It was also hard to engage with them as they were engaging with our girls who they found more interesting and our girls were in danger of being seduced by the grass in always greener lure of bohemian lifestyles and French phrases. So the afternoon became less of an attempt to engage with the students but to compete with them over engaging the girls. This war of attrition ebbed and flowed all afternoon. The Scotsman now had two groups to focus on making jokes for the benefit of the other pickers. Unconsciously the focus on engaging with the girls becoming less and less as us and the students competed on exchanging banter with the Scotsman who then told us all to fuck off, shut up and work more quickly.

5.00 we finished and washed our hands. First day of full labour over. We had acquitted ourselves fairly well in the world of work, done a decent day, and were earning money .Despite all odds, despite our lack of knowledge of Pink Floyd and French phrases we had established what was to be a vital foothold, an established if slight lead over the students with the girls. We also had very bad sunburn and at night diarrhea from eating too many strawberries.

Last edited:
This is a bit long and prob self-indulgent post but I went to bed last night reminiscing about the month me and my mates went strawberry picking and keep thinking about it. This is what I remember from the first day.

We were 16 or so, most in the last year at school but I'd been expelled just after Easter, the farm was in a place called Pepper Arden. We'd all had Saturday jobs or paper rounds but this was the first time we were going to work properly and it was going to be an adventure. The foreman, a Scottish bloke with shifty eyes, tattoos and an accent that was difficult to understand said to turn up Monday at 8.00. One of my mates mother said shed take us there but then rang on the Sunday to say that as she had to be at work at 8.00 shed drop us off at the farm at 7.00 so we had to wait outside the farm, which either gave the foreman the impression that we were either very keen or couldn't tell the time. There was quite a lot of people about fourty or so, mixed bunch with bags of food and drink, mainly locals who all knew each other, loads of women including some who had brought their pre teen kids, and to our delight some girls about our age who were quite good looking.

We all marched in to what seemed endless rows of plants with loads of straw in fields and the Scottish bloke took our group aside and showed us how to pick the clipping the stalk near to the flower petal on the top of the strawberries and into punnets with the tip pointing to the top, there were trays containing about eight punnets. You had to pick a fully ripened strawberry. The sun was out, it was a lovely day and we were in some rows next to these girls. So far so good.

It was then that the day got gradually worse. First of all we got told off for chatting too much to these girls and not concentrating on picking strawberries, then chatting to the girls became impossible unless we shouted as they picked very quickly and kept getting further up their row and further away from us. So, in my haste to catch up I picked more quickly but this meant I was often picking unripe ones and kept pulling the flower thing off the end as did some of my mates. So, we then had the indignity at break time, in front of the girls we were trying to impress, of this foreman routing through the boxes of strawberries that we'd picked holding up examples of poor-quality control and saying it wasn't good enough. Part of problem was my nails were short and pinching the stalk was easier if you had longer nails on your thumb and first finger.

At break time we also noticed a group of students, who we hadn't seen when we first arrived as they were camping out on the farm, about two possibly three years older than us who clearly though they were great engaging with these girls that we liked. Anyway we cracked on after the break and started to get a bit more proficient and started to talk to 'our girls again', cementing our initial engagement brought us further confidence and a bit of light headedness which resulted in one of the girls aunts, quite an outspoken and frightening woman herself, shouting across the rows to tell us to mind our language. Enter the Scotsman who loudly requests us to get on with work and to refrain swearing. So, we pressed on in the heat in silence, only to get thirsty in the sun and then kept getting further behind as we kept going to a tap to drink water. (The locals had brought both food and bottles of water and pop and put them near where the strawberries were being stacked) .This of course did not go unnoticed by the eagle eyed Scotsman who now found he had a willing audience of the pickers to engage with his casual observations that we would be owing him money rather than him paying us money at the end of the week.

Having spent most of the last five years at school eating school dinners or and watching Westerns where people gathered round to eat communally it came as a bit of a surprise that lunch wasn't provided. There were no shops nearby but some of the girls let us have somehow their sandwiches which allowed us to attempt to cement what could be a promising summer of love. We went back to work only to find that the Scotsman had now moved us away from being next to the girls and we were now next to the students. The girls were on the other side of the students which meant we had to catch their eye and talk over the students.

We didn't really know any students apart from some brothers and sisters of girls we knew from the top end of our village who lived in the posh houses so it was a bit hard to engage with them on equal terms. They were all very confident, lots of in jokes we didn't understand, kept saying French phrases that we didn't understand and were all into Pink Floyd and rock and we were into Tamla and Bowie .It was also hard to engage with them as they were engaging with our girls who they found more interesting and our girls were in danger of being seduced by the grass in always greener lure of bohemian lifestyles and French phrases. So the afternoon became less of an attempt to engage with the students but to compete with them over engaging the girls. This war of attrition ebbed and flowed all afternoon. The Scotsman now had two groups to focus on making jokes for the benefit of the other pickers. Unconsciously the focus on engaging with the girls becoming less and less as us and the students competed on exchanging banter with the Scotsman who then told us all to fuck off, shut up and work more quickly.

5.00 we finished and washed our hands. First day of full labour over. We had acquitted ourselves fairly well in the world of work, done a decent day, and were earning money .Despite all odds, despite our lack of knowledge of Pink Floyd and French phrases we had established what was to be a vital foothold, an established if slight lead over the students with the girls. We also had very bad sunburn and at night diarrhea from eating too many strawberries.

Marvelous, although I was expecting Uncle Quentin to make an appearance...

Here in east anglia, there has always been a history of using some sort of indentured labour---from Borstal boys at North sea camp', through to successive waves of immigrants, travellers, through to eastern europeans - either through the SAWS scheme or (more often) through a large informal network of gangmasters and dodgy agencies. Including, of course, working class people such as my family and I. Have done it all - from potatoes, apples, berries, strawbs, daffodils, oat pulling etc etc. For us locals, it was generally a chance to make a bit of cash on the black or during the summer holidays...but make no mistake, the work is hard, hoursare brutal, pay is measly and often piece work...and especially since the SAWS scheme collapsed, conditions are fucking grisly. I wouldn't be volunteering again, not even for a decent wage. O and before anyone starts chirping up about poor farmers, they need to do a bit more reading to learn just how the agricultural industry functions these days. These are not embattled family farms, they are huge investment machines which rent space from smaller farmers, using mobile factories, as pickers are driven from farm to farm in the dim hours before dawn, work for 12 hours (no shops, no food) then taken back to filthy caravans or (more likely) an army of shitlandlords in Wisbech and Spalding, stuffing 15 people in a room and commandeering passports and wages. Categorically not the days of sleeping in a nice barn, gettingup at 6, finishing at 1, napping, then off to the pub and maybe a campfire.I will be interested to see how this pans out when huge numbers of people finally get an inkling of how their food is produced, harvested and packed...and the money being scarfed up by massive corporations such as Bartletts. It has been a fucking disgrace, how big ag has treated an army of labour...so yeah, think it would be an eye-opener.

How much profit do you reckon is in milk, when you can buy it for about 27p per 1000 gallons in the supermarket?

Kind of thing I'm talking about that employers have said to me in other industries. Don't blame me your employer blame that other big company.

It's not my problem as someone who lives by selling my Labour the problems my employer has.

Having spent most of the last five years at school eating school dinners or and watching Westerns where people gathered round to eat communally it came as a bit of a surprise that lunch wasn't provided. There were no shops nearby but some of the girls let us have some of their sandwiches which allowed us to futher attempt to cement what could be a promising summer of love. We went back to work only to find that the Scotsman had now moved us away from being next to the girls and we were now next to the students. The girls were on the other side of the students which meant we had to catch their eye and talk over the students.

But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.

As both Lenin and St Paul said:

he-who-does-not-work.png

proverbs-22c-4-638.jpg

.I will be interested to see how this pans out when huge numbers of people finally get an inkling of how their food is produced, harvested and packed...and the money being scarfed up by massive corporations such as Bartletts. It has been a fucking disgrace, how big ag has treated an army of labour...so yeah, think it would be an eye-opener.
Like during the last invasion of Iraq there'll be a chorus of tory men saying 'if i was just a bit younger Id be signing up'. Richard Littlejohn a dead cert. Their eyes will remain firmly shut

This thread reminded of the Daily Mash: (not a criticism of this thread which is good)

The more essential your work the less you get paid, them's the rules, says capitalism

A Treasury spokesman said, “As someone who draws a six figure salary for a job a trained parrot could do, I applaud those potentially laying down their lives and regret that they must earn much less.

“Whether a binman, a cleaner, a bus driver, a delivery driver, a postman or one of the other people that keeps Britain running, your earnings must remain low as our tribute.

“Now is not the time to discuss an increase in salaries. To discuss monetary issues at a time like this would be vulgar and an insult to the genuine emotion of their work. They’re missionaries, not mercenaries.

Must say the Daily Mash is becoming , apart from U75 , my main news outlet.

Last edited:
Mid to late eighties - cherry-picking in Kent fields was a popular summer choice for cash-in-hand day work, with some California Sunshine and similar to help pick along..

Past and foreign country and all..
As a nipper ('70s) I picked cherry for me (Gt) Uncle Fred (think darling buds) but he rented an orchard with the old, big bastard trees that needed the long, flared ladders. My main interest was in the bird scarer...fucking dangerous looking back. Of course, in the end Fred went for that one bunch too far, over-reached and fell breaking his pelvis. Never the same after that, but he could still wring chicken necks.

Best fucking cherries ever.

I think it's good to see some of our political figures taking a lead in this matter.

It was a bit noisy in the garden earlier, but I'm pretty sure I heard my neighbour talking about how David Cameron is now a fig plucker. Without hogging the limelight about it either. Bravo Dave!

None - there's no profit in milk, unless you're a super-farm conglomerate with thousands and thousands of acres/cows and a massive, high-tech operation. The farmer I mentioned up thread (small organic dairy & veg farm) actually got to the point where he was losing money on milk. This was about 10 years ago but IIRC he said he was producing the milk for about 22p a litre and selling it to a major supermarket for about 21p a litre. Then he started making cheese out of the milk to try to make it worth his while. Massive struggle for him.

Campanula's right up thread saying farming is a massive industry now, with few truly family farms left. Huge agri-businesses buying up everything they can get and consolidating to reduce costs/make efficiencies etc. Same as most other industries. Farms and workers are just numbers on a spreadsheet to be moved about and manipulated.

None - there's no profit in milk, unless you're a super-farm conglomerate with thousands and thousands of acres/cows and a massive, high-tech operation. The farmer I mentioned up thread (small organic dairy & veg farm) actually got to the point where he was losing money on milk. This was about 10 years ago but IIRC he said he was producing the milk for about 22p a litre and selling it to a major supermarket for about 21p a litre. Then he started making cheese out of the milk to try to make it worth his while. Massive struggle for him.

Campanula's right up thread saying farming is a massive industry now, with few truly family farms left. Huge agri-businesses buying up everything they can get and consolidating to reduce costs/make efficiencies etc. Same as most other industries. Farms and workers are just numbers on a spreadsheet to be moved about and manipulated.

My uncle had to give up milking cows for this reason. There's zero profit in it, and it's not only supermarkets but also consumers who have caused that.

Yeah it's not as if consumers have specifically demanded cheaper milk. The supermarkets/large retailers have driven the retail cost of milk down because its a frequent purchase which drives traffic into their shops but that's not the same as consumers actively demanding cheaper goods - there are cases where you can levy that charge like disposable fashion but I don't think milk fits

Back
Top Bottom