Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Photo ID now a requirement to vote in the UK

If we had verified photo ID for all posters, there would be no risk of this being a possibility.
It would be great. We'd be able to put those whistleblowers in their place and nip things in the bud before they get out of hand!

Giving rogue governments agency over who gets to vote and who doesn't is not a route we want to go down either.

Would it be fair to say that no matter what the rules are, if anyone wants to change them, they should be clearly in manifestos?

Also, with voter IDs, the devil is in the detail. I'm in favour of them if they are accessable and there is no universal digital id given to every citizen (which would introduce all sorts of problems).

But the controller still hasn't a fucking clue who their victim voted fir

Soooooooooooo.

He fucking registers the victim for a postal vote.......

Can you find any evidence of this happening at a scale that justifies abridging democratic rights? Just checking, because I already know the answer is that you haven't got shit.

Well, my voter ID arrived last week - total cost to me . . . nothing

Since then, mind, I've had a No. 1 hair cut, the beard is off and I'll probably not be needing to wear my glasses when I vote

It's A4 in size and laser printed both sides onto some of the cheapest paper I've seen. Only "security" I can see is top left of the front there's some minor embossing, 12 x 1mm dots in 3 x up-side-down L's - hardly hologram levels of security. Oooh! there appears to be quite a clever watermark effect though

The initial application was done on line via the link (I think in this very thread) the photo was taken by myself on my iPhone with the "reverse" lens, so not the sharpest picture but easy enough to do against a white background, again, cost to me . . . nothing

The only other thing I needed was my National Insurance number . . . luckily I've still got some old pay slips with this on as it's one of the many "important" numbers in life that I simply can't / won't remember

Attachments

• IMG_2691.JPG
    IMG_2691.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2692 2.jpg
    IMG_2692 2.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 16
Has anyone mentioned yet that the ballot as it stands is not secret?

You go in, you get a voting paper, the number on the paper is recorded against your name.

It is perfectly possible to know how every person voted.

I believe brogdale has mentioned it more than once.

Yet funnily enough, we don't get lurid tales about how such a system is ripe for abuse.

I share the concern that voter ID this May is going to suppress voters. If just because the Conservatives knowingly forced it through without putting real money and effort into making it work. If they were serious they would have delayed it till next May and spent a lot more promoting it and giving councils money to do the same / prepare.

Re postal voting, I do think it's more open to fraud. Just see Birmingham in the 00s. But how widespread that is, well who knows.

The verification of ballot papers done at the Counting of the Votes begins with ensuring that the number of ballots given out matches the number taken out of the box.

The counterfoil numbers are kept seperate from the ballots and the use of them is usually one safeguard against photocopying ballots or using fake ones.

It would be theoretically possible to match ballot to voter were the papers not inside a sealed box for 14 hours, driven to a counting hall, and then combined with the contents of other boxes for counting. Their use is usually to ensure that the ballots were given out sequentially to avoid suspicion of missing or amended ballots.

Coercion can occur at a polling station. Staff are trained to check for people who might be standing too close to voters.

The recently passed Ballot Secrecy Act (https://bills.parliament.uk/bills/3172 ) places further safeguards against coercion inside polling stations.

Many years ago now, Individual Registration was introduced to avoid the 'head of the household' issue regarding the filing in of the annual registration process. This was in response to concerns that it was possible for postal voting to be manipulated in the ways expressed with some vigor by one poster in this thread.

To return to the main requirement of this thread, the photo id rules have been introduced to solve an issue that doesn't exist, and requires younger voters to use ID they can't afford nor access. I'm certain that's the more pressing issue than whether a crypto-bro who uses "woke" as an insult should be any further indulged.

The verification of ballot papers done at the Counting of the Votes begins with ensuring that the number of ballots given out matches the number taken out of the box.

The counterfoil numbers are kept seperate from the ballots and the use of them is usually one safeguard against photocopying ballots or using fake ones.

It would be theoretically possible to match ballot to voter were the papers not inside a sealed box for 14 hours, driven to a counting hall, and then combined with the contents of other boxes for counting. Their use is usually to ensure that the ballots were given out sequentially to avoid suspicion of missing or amended ballots.

Coercion can occur at a polling station. Staff are trained to check for people who might be standing too close to voters.

The recently passed Ballot Secrecy Act (https://bills.parliament.uk/bills/3172 ) places further safeguards against coercion inside polling stations.

Many years ago now, Individual Registration was introduced to avoid the 'head of the household' issue regarding the filing in of the annual registration process. This was in response to concerns that it was possible for postal voting to be manipulated in the ways expressed with some vigor by one poster in this thread.

To return to the main requirement of this thread, the photo id rules have been introduced to solve an issue that doesn't exist, and requires younger voters to use ID they can't afford nor access. I'm certain that's the more pressing issue than whether a crypto-bro who uses "woke" as an insult should be any further indulged.
Could you explain why the 14 hours inside a ballot box makes it harder to link numbered ballot paper to counterfoil and thus to register? E2a not every election will see the contents of ballot boxes mixed, eg local authority elections where I doubt everything is jumbled up before counting each ward.

Regarding ballot matching; I'm pretty sure that I remember some past reporting of claims that the spooks were able to/did conduct such exercises in constituencies with 'extremist' candidates. Or maybe I've just been taken in by some tin-foil hatery?

Tbh the argument stuff can't be matched up because it's a lot of work doesn't really hold water. It's the auld 'they won't kettle thousands of people in Oxford circus' all over again. They can, and if they want to they will.
It's not a lot of work anyway; the ballot papers for any party candidate of interest would be bundled together at the count in a very convenient way. Just a matter of matching those numbered ballot papers with the counterfoils etc.

Tbh the argument stuff can't be matched up because it's a lot of work doesn't really hold water. It's the auld 'they won't kettle thousands of people in Oxford circus' all over again. They can, and if they want to they will.
Do you think they care that much about who you vote for?

Regarding ballot matching; I'm pretty sure that I remember some past reporting of claims that the spooks were able to/did conduct such exercises in constituencies with 'extremist' candidates. Or maybe I've just been taken in by some tin-foil hatery?
Not my area of expertise, granted, and I can't deny that perhaps some 'dark arts ' occurred in past years. We use paper and pencil, I can't deny that such methods haven't been exploited at/for the very fringes . Personally I doubt that it was ever done at a significant amount (though experts from Northern Ireland, let me know your experiences, I suspect there are tales to be told.)

At the time of the brexit referendum, i had one colleague who was advising anyone who would listen to take a pen because 'they' were going to change the X on enough 'leave' votes to change the outcome.
I remember that well. Indeed the reason why we use that particular kind of pencil is because rubbing out looks obvious, in response to rumours that 'they' would supply pens with invisible ink!

I always delight in explaining to Americans how we do it over here.
None of their constant multi-million dollar "primaries" for multiple levels of the administration, mostly just get out to the local school gym every couple or 4 years, pinch yer nose and make yer mark for the least awful option, then go home and hope it doesn't get too much worse...

... but then I don't watch telly or read newspapers - especially at election time....

Back
Top Bottom