Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Photo ID now a requirement to vote in the UK

There are at least three unspoken agendas going on here. I might have to tap out and let the NT’s roll with it at this point.

You're right, we need to get back to the vermins' voter suppression
You won't get support if you don't engage in good faith.

You're not engaging the issue in good faith if you're not interested in solving the problem and defending the integrity of the vote.

You say that younger people could be excluded because their ID costs money.

Then surely providing ID that is free, solves the issue, as long as that ID then can't be used by the state to control people (think digital ids)???

I'd take all of that seriously, if those pushing back against voter id, also believed in the secret ballot. I can't find any that do.

Which suggests to me that people who are pushing back on voter id, aren't doing to protect peoples votes or against disenfranchisment. It's just about making sure the right people get in.

You could have the regular in-person voting system we have now, and replace postal votes with a well-authenticated electronic system where required. Possibly incorporating some blockchain tech, but I’m neither an expert or an enthusiast.

Could drip-feed the links out at random so there is no obvious heap of forms landing on the doormat one day.

Well, there’s a heap of possible permutations…

The problem there is that as good as blockchain voting is, if it's used for remote voting, there's no secret ballot, if there's more than one person at the remote location (eg house or care centre).

If the victim hasn't proved to the bad actor that they voted the "right" way, there's consenquences.

You're not engaging the issue in good faith if you're not interested in solving the problem and defending the integrity of the vote.

Then surely providing ID that is free, solves the issue, as long as that ID then can't be used by the state to control people (think digital ids)???

I'd take all of that seriously, if those pushing back against voter id, also believed in the secret ballot. I can't find any that do.

Which suggests to me that people who are pushing back on voter id, aren't doing to protect peoples votes or against disenfranchisment. It's just about making sure the right people get in.
Secret ballots based on marked, numbered ballot papers and counterfoils?

The problem there is that as good as blockchain voting is, if it's used for remote voting, there's no secret ballot, if there's more than one person at the remote location (eg house or care centre).

If the victim hasn't proved to the bad actor that they voted the "right" way, there's consenquences.

Set it up so that repeat votes show a nice green tick.

But regardless of that, I’m wondering why you brought up blockchain in the first place now.

The Tories aren't providing free IDs on demand for voters. That's textbook Yankee-style voter suppression that they've imported.

There is a reason why the French force everyone to vote in front of election officials and observers ... so to prove they haven't been coerced.
What about if I ask someone to vote on my behalf (proxy voting is allowed in France) and they vote however they want? And even if they cast the vote I ask them to, it's not secret because they'll know who I voted for.

There is no consistency in your argument!
I am all for money being spent to get a team of election officials and observers to the voter, if the voter can't get polling station.

I am for the secret ballot.
Except in France where proxy voting (=not secret) is permitted.
To you, voters are either thick or immoral so if they voted the wrong way, their votes shouldn't count.
But you're the one assuming voters will coerce each other :facepalm:
You're a fucking fraud who isn't talking in good faith.
Your lack of self-awareness is astonishing...
People can do what the fuck they want.

For too long, middle class woke authoracunts have made themselves too busy with other people's lives to the point of ruin.
But at the moment, this is you! Interfering with people's natural right to argue over politics and persuade each other to vote a certain way, if they want. People can do what the fuck they want. That's your mantra, right?

But you're so blinded by ideology you've lost your way. You're arguing against your own stated views, about human dignity and sovereignty. You're the one making negative assumptions about voters! You're the one wanting to take away people's right to vote from the comfort and convenience of their own home, and restrict the democratic process to only those who can travel to a polling station.

Secret ballots based on marked, numbered ballot papers and counterfoils?
Those doing the coercing don't normally have access to those. The published marked register only records whether someone voted or not, not who they voted for.

If you're concerned that those doing the coercing actually have physical access to the ballots and the original marked register from the polling station, then blockchain voting would solve that, because with blockchain voting, there is no need to keep a forensic electronic trial that could give up who people voted for.

What about if I ask someone to vote on my behalf (proxy voting is allowed in France) and they vote however they want? And even if they cast the vote I ask them to, it's not secret because they'll know who I voted for.

There is no consistency in your argument!

Except in France where proxy voting (=not secret) is permitted.

But you're the one assuming voters will coerce each other :facepalm:

Your lack of self-awareness is astonishing...

But at the moment, this is you! Interfering with people's natural right to argue over politics and persuade each other to vote a certain way, if they want. People can do what the fuck they want. That's your mantra, right?

But you're so blinded by ideology you've lost your way. You're arguing against your own stated views, about human dignity and sovereignty. You're the one making negative assumptions about voters! You're the one wanting to take away people's right to vote from the comfort and convenience of their own home, and restrict the democratic process to only those who can travel to a polling station.
Anyone can travel to a polling station if they can travel to hospital in an ambulance.

If you are unfit to be transported by ambulance, a vote is the least of your problems.

If proxy voting in France is allowed, I don't agree with it. I'm surprised they have that, because there's no postal votes. I will look that up.

There is nothing inconsistant with my views.

I believe in governance where it is needed. I generally only agree with doing things, when it's needed. That's how you get perfection. If you can take away something, then it ain't perfection.

If you don't need a postal vote and can do the job in person with a secret ballot, secret ballot it is!

You can't see it, because you're a fundamentalist. Blinded to nuance or inconsistency, by your own zealotry. I can show it to you, but I can't see it for you.

Wasn’t the inconsistency something to do with proxy voting?

Here is my photo from my ID certificate.

340260141_188154233984135_8693792190445303133_n.jpg
Good likeness. :)

Wasn’t the inconsistency something to do with proxy voting?
That, and the fact it leaves about the same room for fraud, dishonesty and coercion as postal voting.

But mainly the inconsistency of on the one hand arguing for individual sovereignty and the state to have less control over people (which StakerOne does obsessively) and then arguing that people can't be trusted with postal votes and the state needs more control over the process.

Last edited:
That, and the fact it leaves about the same room for fraud, dishonesty and coercion as postal voting.

But mainly the inconsistency of on the one hand arguing for individual sovereignty and the state to have less control over people (which StakerOne does obsessively) and then arguing that people can't be trusted with postal votes and the state needs more control over the process.

More that people couldn’t necessarily be trusted with the postal votes of others, but yeah, I take your meaning.

Given the kinds of evidence and means of detection available it does seem like paying some attention to postal votes should be a higher priority than the voter ID thing.

That's StakerOne 's argument though, that people will coerce others within their household to vote a certain way. No data, mind, just the assertion.

Yes. It’s an assertion which links to plentiful anecdotes but little if anything in the way of data.
So dismissing it as not existing at all is as irrational as claiming it is swinging the results of elections.

In terms of voter ID, there are more ways of capturing data, and what we have is vanishingly small, so instituting measures that could disenfranchise legitimate votes in relevant numbers are just as shaky.

Well exactly. It may well be a niche issue and it is deserving of attention, but there are so many more, bigger, more wide-ranging issues with the rigging of the electoral system here .. and making ID compulsory is adding a whole new one, self-evidently. It's almost the epitome of using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

The best way to normalise it and restore democracy (Labour will argue by 2028) is a compulsory national ID scheme so everyone has the ID they need to vote. Also to travel to Europe no doubt because of some future treaty tbc

The best way to normalise it and restore democracy (Labour will argue by 2028) is a compulsory national ID scheme so everyone has the ID they need to vote. Also to travel to Europe no doubt because of some future treaty tbc

You’re skating close to arguing in Staker’s direction now. :D

Back
Top Bottom