Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Petition to request parliament review LTNs

Private car use is not the main culprit of air pollution that everyone seems to think - there are many more sources that are bigger polluters as this article highlights

Rutherford has a vested interest and also how many of those "worst polluters" do you find in central land? Farming, energy production....for the whole country that might be true, especially as there are less cars in the countryside. Look at inner city figures only and I am sure you will get an entirely different picture.
Most polluted roads in the country are in London, inc., Wandsworth.

Rutherford has a vested interest and also how many of those "worst polluters" do you find in central land? Farming, energy production....for the whole country that might be true, especially as there are less cars in the countryside. Look at inner city figures only and I am sure you will get an entirely different picture.
Most polluted roads in the country are in London, inc., Wandsworth.
So you agree with the thrust of the article then it seems.

Private car ownership in London has been dropping of late but other vehicles used to services people's lifestyles have been increasing as society seems obsessed with having stuff delivered to their homes.

The most polluting roads in London are being made worse by LTN congestion born out by the LTN councils own limited monitoring data - I see that both teams turned up late for tonight's match at Spurs - wonder what might have caused that!

You mean like their persons, delivered to their homes in minicabs?
Not really as that is not a new thing is it Mr Liquid? The thing that is relatively new are deliveries from companies such as Amazon or Deliveroo, etc where people buy things on the internet to be delivered the next day by motor vehicle or they order stuff to be delivered from their corner shop by moped - those motor vehicle deliveries have been increasing at a rapid rate in recent years - go by any McDonalds in central London and you will find a posse of mopeds waiting for the next delivery to someone who lives round the corner - those local delivery companies should be required to offer a non motor vehicle delivery option to their customers so the more discerning customers would select a more sustainable delivery option

Last edited:
Not really as that is not a new thing is it Mr Liquid? The thing that is relatively new are deliveries from companies such as Amazon or Deliveroo, etc where people buy things on the internet to be delivered the next day by motor vehicle or they order stuff to be delivered from their corner shop by moped - those motor vehicle deliveries have been increasing at a rapid rate in recent years - go by any McDonalds in central London and you will find a posse of mopeds waiting for the next delivery to someone who lives round the corner - those local delivery companies should be required to offer a non motor vehicle delivery option to their customers so the more discerning customers would select a more sustainable delivery option
You're all in the delivery business, and if there's a problem, you're all part of it.

Despite a dip in the last couple of years there are twice as many minicabs in London as there were in 2005. You just notice the green boxes on bikes and mopeds more because they're different and new.

You're all in the delivery business, and if there's a problem, you're all part of it.

Despite a dip in the last couple of years there are twice as many minicabs in London as there were in 2005. You just notice the green boxes on bikes and mopeds more because they're different and new.
I don't have a problem with Uber numbers being curtailed as that is a parasitic organisation collecting their revenue from drivers via a bank in another European country and thus paying little or no tax on those earnings to the UK economy. Curtailing the number of Ubers permitted to ply their trade in London is up to Sadiq Khan and TFL but they have a conflict of interest as they generate revenue from every driver application and licence renewal and every annual vehicle inspection. The only people who could curtail delivery vehicle numbers would be the people ordering things off of Amazon and from companies like Deliveroo but as I have outlined those mopeds could be switched to EVs or bikes to reduce emissions pollution. All cabs in London will be EVs/Hybrids by the end of 2028 so vehicle emissions pollution in London will continue to fall - no thanks to LTNs.

The only people who could curtail delivery vehicle numbers would be the people ordering things off of Amazon and from companies like Deliveroo but as I have outlined those mopeds could be switched to EVs or bikes to reduce emissions pollution.
You're asking for things that are already happening Amazon UK adds e-cargo bikes, walkers in decarbonisation drive

I personally am not keen on many of these businesses because I don't think they're viable without VC investment, exploiting workers, or both, and there's a chance they might be a short-lived phenomenon.

Curtailing the number of Ubers permitted to ply their trade in London is up to Sadiq Khan and TFL but they have a conflict of interest as they generate revenue from every driver application and licence renewal and every annual vehicle inspection.

fairly sure that's not the case - there have been rumblings from TFL / GLA (this from 2011 was first to surface) about restricting the number of private hire vehicles in London (and the idea gets floated elsewhere now and then as well) but this would require a change in the law which is up to westminster.

Licensing authorities can set standards for PHV's but not a quantity limit, either overall, or for one particular operator.

Taxi (hackney carriage and private hire) law is all a bit lumpy - while the 'bale of hay' requirement is an urban myth, some of it goes back to the mid 19th century, and almost all of it was written before mobile phones, let alone apps, were a thing. there was an attempt to set up a review of the whole thing a good few years back, but think it got kicked in to touch with brexit taking up a lot of politicians and whitehall's time, and it hasn't come back to the surface yet.

Curtailing the number of Ubers permitted to ply their trade in London is up to Sadiq Khan and TFL but they have a conflict of interest as they generate revenue from every driver application and licence renewal and every annual vehicle inspection.
They also extract revenue from the TfL's public transport farebox.

Private car use is not the main culprit of air pollution that everyone seems to think - there are many more sources that are bigger polluters as this article highlights

So you agree with the thrust of the article then it seems.

Private car ownership in London has been dropping of late but other vehicles used to services people's lifestyles have been increasing as society seems obsessed with having stuff delivered to their homes.

The most polluting roads in London are being made worse by LTN congestion born out by the LTN councils own limited monitoring data - I see that both teams turned up late for tonight's match at Spurs - wonder what might have caused that!

So is air pollution from cars an issue we need to deal with or isn't it?

Because first you say it's not a big problem, and then you claim it's a reason why LTNs should be abandoned.

That list is made-up nonsense. Ambulances are in the same category as commercial vehicles and buses, but taxis, which exclusively drive private citizens, have been separated from other private cars to reduce the size of the category. Utter horseshit.

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with Uber numbers being curtailed as that is a parasitic organisation collecting their revenue from drivers via a bank in another European country and thus paying little or no tax on those earnings to the UK economy. Curtailing the number of Ubers permitted to ply their trade in London is up to Sadiq Khan and TFL but they have a conflict of interest as they generate revenue from every driver application and licence renewal and every annual vehicle inspection. The only people who could curtail delivery vehicle numbers would be the people ordering things off of Amazon and from companies like Deliveroo but as I have outlined those mopeds could be switched to EVs or bikes to reduce emissions pollution. All cabs in London will be EVs/Hybrids by the end of 2028 so vehicle emissions pollution in London will continue to fall - no thanks to LTNs.
I thought you were a minicab driver? Ubers are minicabs. There's no difference other than the profits go to some Californian tech twat rather than up some East London hardman's nose.

ianarmstrong ! You got what you wanted!

The Department has appointed the University of Westminster to undertake an independent evaluation of active travel schemes funded in 2020/21, including low-traffic neighbourhoods.

It turns out they were doing this anyway and the petition didn't matter, but still, well done.

So is air pollution from cars an issue we need to deal with or isn't it?

Because first you say it's not a big problem, and then you claim it's a reason why LTNs should be abandoned.
No you don't seem to understand - I am saying pollution from motor vehicles is being addressed but LTNs cause more pollution as they force drivers to drive more miles and they create congestion on the boundary roads

ianarmstrong ! You got what you wanted!

The Department has appointed the University of Westminster to undertake an independent evaluation of active travel schemes funded in 2020/21, including low-traffic neighbourhoods.

It turns out they were doing this anyway and the petition didn't matter, but still, well done.
That's not going to be an unbiased review though is it as it will be led by Rachel Aldred who is very much an LTN supporter and advocate
1678348596504.jpeg

That's not going to be an unbiased review though is it as it will be led by Rachel Aldred who is very much an LTN supporter and advocate
View attachment 366045
That must be disappointing. All of those nextdoor posts, Facebook posts, arguments, all that time and effort to get what you want and when you get it it turns out you don't want it after all. Must seem like a giant waste of time.

So now this is done and all the court cases are exhausted, what's the next pointless wheeze?

Home delivery of stuff has always been a thing. It's just the method of ordering has changed (and perhaps, in some cases, what's being delivered). People would order stuff from catalogues. We had milkmen. Local shops would deliver.

It possibly fell out of favour with the growth of car ownership and more women entering the workforce. The growth of car ownership resulted in larger more centralised retail outlets - supermarkets and later, retail parks for example. More women going out to work resulted in fewer people being able to accept deliveries in normal working hours.

The ability to use the internet for ordering, out of hours deliveries and tighter delivery windows together with a change in working patterns resulted in people being at home more has seen an increase in home deliveries.

I agree that the vehicles used for these deliveries needs a massive rethink. It's not like there aren't alternatives to fossil fuel powered vehicles. They've been around for years. There used to be large fleets of electric milk floats. There were delivery boys on bicycles and even at the very start of the 20th century there were other electric delivery vehicles (for example, Harrods used them from around 1900 and on into the 1920s IIRC).

Even now there are cargo bikes, e-cargo bikes, electric mopeds and electric vans which could be used more but they aren't. I have had home deliveries by e-van but they are rare. There needs to be legislation to encourage the use of zero-emission vehicles for the deliveries.

The other thing which has to change is to encourage people to get out and walk or cycle to their local shops to collect some of the stuff themselves so there's less need for some of the deliveries. I wonder how we could do that? Maybe discourage car use in certain places to make it a better environment to walk and cycle. I wonder what we could call them...

One actively encourages people not to use amazon or deliveroo because of this and other reasons
This is a great little book https://www.waterstones.com/book/hired/james-bloodworth/9781786490162
bit more serious https://www.waterstones.com/book/ri...stance-in-the-new-econom-y/cant/9781509535507
This is also very good Sorry We Missed You - Wikipedia

How many people live more than a few minutes from a shop where they can buy most things. Where I live I am no more than a mile or so from
dozens of supermarkets. If you need a delivery, the Co Op is delivering by bike.

Back
Top Bottom