Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Petition to request parliament review LTNs

The bit in bold is meaningless. What you’re really saying is “people like me don’t want to be inconvenienced”.
It might be meaningless to you but delays to people trying to work will inevitably end up costing the consumer or person they are providing a service for

I don't agree with your assessment of LTNs equating to a few side streets and the vast majority of drivers are not petrol heads and they are just normal people trying to do a days work or trying to live their lives as best they can in a legal and law abiding manner
You need to face up to the fact that any car journey is wrecking the planet. It's not harmless.

It might be meaningless to you but delays to people trying to work will inevitably end up costing the consumer or person they are providing a service for
Only a fifth of the traffic on roads is for work.

A third of all journeys are less than 2k - how many of those could be walked?

Nah, it's all the stopping and starting and twisting. It will mess them up by itself.
I got back into cycling after a knee injury and it was the only thing that worked.
I had to have a meniscus repair in both knees after the muscle wasted away when a broken foot kept me out of action for two months - the surgeon said think of yourself as an elite athlete at the end of their career and get the budgie smugglers out and start swimming!

It would be good if we had some real data about how many of those journeys could realistically be completed by active travel as currently it's just guesswork and even if someone could walk or cycle there are often valid reasons why they might not and for some if they could not use their vehicle they probably would not make the journey at all and there are various negative implications for that too

the alternative would be to errrm, you know, look at car culture and reclaim our streets and cities....bonkers I know, but.....
I wasn't denying that current car use is excessive or that something should be done encourage active travel and improve public transport. It was just a case of IF you needed a car then I don't think a hydrogen fuel cell one is a viable alternative to an EV.

Last edited:
It would be good if we had some real data about how many of those journeys could realistically be completed by active travel as currently it's just guesswork and even if someone could walk or cycle there are often valid reasons why they might not and for some if they could not use their vehicle they probably would not make the journey at all and there are various negative implications for that too
And if we got that data, would it convince you?

(It wouldn't convince you.)

When teleportation arrives then cars will be needed no more but until then they will remain as many people cannot walk that far or at all and cycling is not something everyone can do - it's fine if you are young fit and healthy

Just today I have been working with a primary care practice in Birmingham, where we have setup a cycle hub which GPs can refer patients to in order for them to access cycle training, led rides and get free bikes. The idea that you have to be young, fit and healthy to use a bike is not just wrong but quite frankly dangerous as it puts people off cycling despite the major health benefits that come from it. Today we went on a 5 mile led cycle ride, the four patients who came ranged in age from mid 20s to mid 60s and they all have health problems.

We've absolutely transformed and saved lives with the work we've done over the past few years with the NHS in Birmingham, especially with diabetic / pre-diabetic patients, and with elderly patients. The people we work with are, by definition, not fit or healthy and they are mostly not young either. (We also very regularly get patients with knee problems referred to us as cycling or swimming are the only forms of exercise they can be recommended to do)

Yes there are some people whose disabilities preclude cycling or walking, but there are also people with disabilities for whom a bike or adapted bike is a fantastic mobility aid. Case in point today, one of the volunteer ride leaders rides an electric trike. He can't walk more than a few hundred meters without issues most days but he can ride his e-trike for 5 miles quite happily, and uses it to go to the shops, see friends or whatever all the time. Cycling transformed his life and that's why he now volunteers to help others who want to take the same journey.

To anyone but the adventuorous cyclist, you're effectively trapped in the LTN by busy roads with zero cycling infrastructure.
This is so not true. All you need to do is cross the road into the next LTN. You can get off and push if you like. Lambeth have already installed a bike and pedestrian crossing point on Leigham Court Road for example to facilitate movement from Streatham hill LTN into the planned Streatham Wells LTN. And vice versa

There are not too many employers inside LTNs, that's the issue.

Apart from the odd corner shop or school, which of course it's great if people will walk/cycle to.

For me anything under 2 miles I'll happily walk, cycling would be a game changer for journeys 2-5 miles, but to get that distance I would need to use main roads/boundary roads.

You need to face up to the fact that any car journey is wrecking the planet. It's not harmless.
Lot's of things might be wrecking the planet but the UK is responsible for just 1% of the harmful emissions and I drive a ULEZ compliant vehicle with a stop/start feature which switches off the ignition when I am not moving so I am doing what I can whilst working to minimise emissions

And if we got that data, would it convince you?

(It wouldn't convince you.)
If we got the data then we would at least have a true picture of which journeys where feasible and reasonable and appropriate for people to switch to active travel or PT as currently it seems we know which journeys are of a certain length and there is an assumption that they all could and should be switched to active travel or PT but in reality there might be any number of reasons why that switch was not feasible and reasonable and appropriate

Lot's of things might be wrecking the planet but the UK is responsible for just 1% of the harmful emissions and I drive a ULEZ compliant vehicle with a stop/start feature which switches off the ignition when I am not moving so I am doing what I can whilst working to minimise emissions

Flawed data, most of our carbon is generated for us by other countries and rarely admitted that US and UK life’s rely on others making and doing work for us

1677858233563.jpeg

1677858595959.png

Making it harder to drive is a feature not a bug.
For you maybe but for the average punter in the street they probably don't understand that
Just today I have been working with a primary care practice in Birmingham, where we have setup a cycle hub which GPs can refer patients to in order for them to access cycle training, led rides and get free bikes. The idea that you have to be young, fit and healthy to use a bike is not just wrong but quite frankly dangerous as it puts people off cycling despite the major health benefits that come from it. Today we went on a 5 mile led cycle ride, the four patients who came ranged in age from mid 20s to mid 60s and they all have health problems.

We've absolutely transformed and saved lives with the work we've done over the past few years with the NHS in Birmingham, especially with diabetic / pre-diabetic patients, and with elderly patients. The people we work with are, by definition, not fit or healthy and they are mostly not young either. (We also very regularly get patients with knee problems referred to us as cycling or swimming are the only forms of exercise they can be recommended to do)

Yes there are some people whose disabilities preclude cycling or walking, but there are also people with disabilities for whom a bike or adapted bike is a fantastic mobility aid. Case in point today, one of the volunteer ride leaders rides an electric trike. He can't walk more than a few hundred meters without issues most days but he can ride his e-trike for 5 miles quite happily, and uses it to go to the shops, see friends or whatever all the time. Cycling transformed his life and that's why he now volunteers to help others who want to take the same journey.
Great work and of course you do not need to be young, fit and healthy to be able to cycle but you need a certain level of those things so I would support all the things you and your NHS trust are doing and that should be expanded to others but wide area 24/7 LTNs that increase mileage, congestion and pollution cause more problems than they solve in my opinion which is why I think a review is needed.

Flawed data, most of our carbon is generated for us by other countries and rarely admitted that US and UK life’s rely on others making and doing work for us

View attachment 365320

View attachment 365322
I'd agree that our consumption is causing more CO2 to be generated in other locations and we need to stop buying so much stuff off of the internet and having it shipped over here from places like China but we were talking here about LTNs and my car use and the impact that has on the harmful emissions being generated in the UK so they are two different topics

I'd agree that our consumption is causing more CO2 to be generated in other locations and we need to stop buying so much stuff off of the internet and having it shipped over here from places like China but we were talking here about LTNs and my car use and the impact that has on the harmful emissions being generated in the UK so they are two different topics
It's not two different topics when he's analysing and criticising data you've just quoted.

Tell your passengers to walk then.
Many of my passengers are hospital workers being taken home in the early hours to the other parts of London. I often pick up disabled people and people taking cats/dogs to emergency vet appointments. I regularly pick up passengers with lots of shopping at supermarkets that they could not carry home. I also pick up people going out for leisure activities who are dressed up and do not want to travel on PT or walk or cycle with their nice cloths on. I also take vulnerable females home late at night and people who are a danger to themselves with the amount of alcohol they have consumed. There are also people going to airports with a number of suitcases. Why should I tell all of these people to walk and put myself out of work?

This is so not true. All you need to do is cross the road into the next LTN. You can get off and push if you like. Lambeth have already installed a bike and pedestrian crossing point on Leigham Court Road for example to facilitate movement from Streatham hill LTN into the planned Streatham Wells LTN. And vice versa
(I just read this post back and it sounds quite argumentative, so please don't take it personally! I'm arguing for something, not neccesarily against you!)

Absolutely true. Short distance trips in familiar areas can "LTN-hop" quite well.
But for ian's commuting example, the "bike lanes and back streets" version of the Streatham-City route looks like this, where

red: normal road with through traffic
purple : LTN or restricted access road
orange: intermittent or unsegregated "bike lane"
green: actually segregated bike lane

(images quoted for page length sanity)
Full of turns, junctions, varying surfaces and sharing space with road vehicles. Easy to get lost, and constantly varying levels of vigilance required.
I used the word "adventurous" deliberately, because this is an intimidating thing to do for the first time.
I know this route well, and used to ride it often. but it took me weeks to learn it properly. When to turn, where traffic is nasty etc.

A similar length route from Pendrecht to the centre of Rotterdam by contrast:
Consistent (in terms of design, priority, road surface, signage etc.) and 100% segregated as soon as you leave your neighbourhood.
You can set off on a journey like this, without even knowing the correct route, and be confident that you'll never get into trouble.

The London equivalent should (and could) be just as good.
I see more and more cyclists all the time, which is great, but we're still a tiny fraction of road traffic. There's a long way to go before the majority of the population cycles, and Dutch levels of infrastructure are required to get there.

Last edited:
If we got the data then we would at least have a true picture of which journeys where feasible and reasonable and appropriate for people to switch to active travel or PT as currently it seems we know which journeys are of a certain length and there is an assumption that they all could and should be switched to active travel or PT but in reality there might be any number of reasons why that switch was not feasible and reasonable and appropriate
Nobody is saying this. What i am saying is that a third of car journeys are under 2k and a good proportion of those could be walked or cycled.

By no means are all of those car journeys necessary.

It's not two different topics when he's analysing and criticising data you've just quoted.
It is and it's nothing to do with me - one is emissions generated by the UK into the atmosphere and the other is consumption based emissions generated in other countries as a result of our consumption - you should not mix the two together to vilify car drivers as the main culprit as we are all consumers and you don't have to own a car to be a consumer causing consumption emissions and it is distinctly possible that someone without a car could be causing more harmful emissions to be generated due to their lifestyle and the amount of consumption based emissions they are generating

Nobody is saying this. What i am saying is that a third of car journeys are under 2k and a good proportion of those could be walked or cycled.

By no means are all of those car journeys necessary.
I'm just asking for data to confirm how many could be switched based on what is feasible, appropriate and reasonable for the person or persons involved

It is and it's nothing to do with me - one is emissions generated by the UK into the atmosphere and the other is consumption based emissions generated in other countries as a result of our consumption - you should not mix the two together to vilify car drivers as the main culprit as we are all consumers and you don't have to own a car to be a consumer causing consumption emissions and it is distinctly possible that someone without a car could be causing more harmful emissions to begenerated due to their lifestyle and the amount of consumption based emissions they are generating
You said the UK is responsible for less than 1% of emissions. He explained why that was nonsense. It was your evidence. If it'd itrelevant you should apologise for bringing it up.

You can make that trip without using main roads.

(I just read this post back and it sounds quite argumentative, so please don't take it personally! I'm arguing for something, not neccesarily against you!)

Absolutely true. Short distance trips in familiar areas can "LTN-hop" quite well.
But for ian's commuting example, the "bike lanes and back streets" version of the Streatham-City route looks like this, where

red: normal road with through traffic
purple : LTN or restricted access road
orange: intermittent or unsegregated "bike lane"
green: actually segregated bike lane

(images quoted for page length sanity)

Full of turns, junctions, kerbs and sharing space with road vehicles. Easy to get lost, and constantly varying levels of vigilance required.
I used the word "adeventurous" deliberately, because this is an intimidating thing to do for the first time.
I know this route well, and used to ride it often. but it took me weeks to learn it properly. When to turn, where traffic is nasty etc.

A similar length route from Pendrecht to the centre of Rotterdam by contrast:

Consistent (in terms of design, priority, road surface, signage etc.) and 100% segregated as soon as you leave your neighbourhood.
You can set off on a jounrey like this, without even knowing the correct route, and be confident that you'll never get into trouble.

The London equivalent should (and could) be just as good.

I see more and more cyclists all the time, which is great, but we're still a tiny fraction of road traffic. There's a long way to go before the majority of the population cycles, and Dutch levels of infrastructure are required to get there.
Yes, and also just to add that I think this route has significant elevation gain. Would you agree? Cycling up and down Denmark hill/Herne hill is quite tiring for the amateur cyclist.

The "flattest" route via central Brixton is a major road that is scary even to drive on let alone cycle. This is what happens when roads are designed for cars/buses.

Back
Top Bottom