Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Petition to request parliament review LTNs

Yes I have an office based day job and drive in the evenings when I have time
It's almost impossible to make money part time in a mini cab so you're either working in the office and getting fed or you're doing exec work to pay the cost of having a flash car.

The nationwide petition has gained about 100 signatures since the start of the week. At this rate they are on course to hit 100,000 in less than 20 years.

Whereupon the parliamentary debate it finally triggers will run as follows:

-So, these are local government policies.
-Yes.
-And this is the national government.
-Yes.
-OK then, moving on...

I can tell you the reason you don't see "green cross code" type stuff anymore is because you are, presumably, an adult and none of it is aimed at you.

I can assure you that every single child in school still receives
pedestrian training in ks1 and/or ks2 (primary age).
The current framework is "Stop, Look, Listen and Think"
The green cross code infomercials used to be on mainstream TV so you did not need to be a child to see it back then but there needs to be something for adults too as it those who I see stepping into the road with their eyes glued to their smartphones

1024full-tufty-fluffytail.jpg

Maybe if you'd opened your OP with the context of your vested interest it might have sped the thread to a quicker conclusion
The aim of the post was to share the petition link for people who would like to see LTNs reviewed by parliament - I did t create it in order to have lengthy discussions with people who support LTNs - I’m just being courteous and responding to anyone who posts a reasonable question or statement

I would like to switch to a hydrogen vehicle next rather than an EV as they seem to be more sustainable and can be refilled/recharged in a few minutes but all of the investment is going into EVs
I don't think hydrogen powered cars are a viable option. The only environmentally friendly way of producing hydrogen is using renewables (in one form or another) to produce electricity for the electrolysis. You might as well use the electricity directly to power cars and cut out all the faff of trying to store a highly volatile gas, transporting it to 'filling stations' and the energy losses from converting electricity into hydrogen only for the hydrogen fuel cell car to convert it back to electricity to run its electric motor.

It's almost impossible to make money part time in a mini cab so you're either working in the office and getting fed or you're doing exec work to pay the cost of having a flash car.
The answers to your questions/statements/assumptions are no, no, no and no
If you see them it's fine. Just make sure you're going slow enough to stop. You're the one in the car, you're the one who needs to be responsible.
both parties are ultimately responsible for their own safety. If a pedestrian steps out into the way of an oncoming vehicle whist looking at their phone giving the driver no warning or indication or time to stop in time then the driver is unlikely to be deemed to be at fault unless it was a pedestrian crossing. When I’m a pedestrian I never step into the road whist looking at my phone and due to issues with ageing knees I don’t force an oncoming vehicle to test their brakes and I make sure I can get to the other side safely as I can’t be sure I will be able to move swiftly enough if I need to in order to safeguard my life and limbs

I don't think hydrogen powered cars are a viable option. The only environmentally friendly way of producing hydrogen is using renewables (in one form or another) to produce electricity for the electrolysis. You might as well use the electricity directly to power cars and cut out all the faff of trying to store a highly volatile gas, transporting it to 'filling stations' and the energy losses from converting electricity into hydrogen only for the hydrogen fuel cell car to convert it back to electricity to run its electric motor.
The hydrogen is converted to a liquid I believe and yes there are issues to be ironed out but hopefully they do

No, you're in a car that can injure or kill them, they'll dent your minicab and it'll buff out. If you can't accept that, time to give up the side hustle.
As a pedestrian I would not want to test out who is responsible as some drivers are but as observant or as adept at putting on the brakes and yeah the driver might end up with a driving ban and possible a prison term but the pedestrian could receive life changing injuries ir be dead

You're not alone. The stagnation of wages for many years in this country for working people mean many have to do two jobs or more even to have a better quality of life or even get by. 40% of those on Universal Credit are working. Someone must be doing well out of this scenario. Any guesses?

The green cross code infomercials used to be on mainstream TV so you did not need to be a child to see it back then but there needs to be something for adults too as it those who I see stepping into the road with their eyes glued to their smartphones
These kind of things have been shown to be ineffective conpared to actual training hence they stopped and put the money into school based pedestrian training instead.

The hydrogen is converted to a liquid I believe and yes there are issues to be ironed out but hopefully they do
I'm fairly certain it's mostly stored as a gas under very high pressure even in fuel cell cars. You need a combination of high pressure and extremely low temperatures to store hydrogen as a liquid. That's one of the major problems.

I think hydrogen as a short-term energy storage medium to even out the peaks and troughs of renewable energy generation has some mileage in it but it's a cul-de-sac as far as actually powering cars.

you, as a driver of a deadly machine, should be trained to look out for vulnerable people and act accordingly to make sure you are not harming them, no matter how they behave. Pedestrians have the right to cross the road wherever and whenever they please.

As a pedestrian I would not want to test out who is responsible as some drivers are but as observant or as adept at putting on the brakes and yeah the driver might end up with a driving ban and possible a prison term but the pedestrian could receive life changing injuries ir be dead
so we need to look at behaviours and train accordingly. Cars should be required to go slow enough to not cause life changing injuries when there are pedestrians around.

I'm fairly certain it's mostly stored as a gas under very high pressure even in fuel cell cars. You need a combination of high pressure and extremely low temperatures to store hydrogen as a liquid. That's one of the major problems.

I think hydrogen as a short-term energy storage medium to even out the peaks and troughs of renewable energy generation has some mileage in it but it's a cul-de-sac as far as actually powering cars.
the alternative would be to errrm, you know, look at car culture and reclaim our streets and cities....bonkers I know, but.....

you, as a driver of a deadly machine, should be trained to look out for vulnerable people and act accordingly to make sure you are not harming them, no matter how they behave. Pedestrians have the right to cross the road wherever and whenever they please.
I am and i do but pedestrians have a responsibility not to do stupid things too - when I’m a pedestrian I don’t take risks when crossing the road and I don’t step onto the road whist looking at my phone and not at oncoming traffic as I’d rather not get a Darwin Award

I am and i do but pedestrians have a responsibility not to do stupid things too - when I’m a pedestrian I don’t take risks when crossing the road and I don’t step onto the road whist looking at my phone and not at oncoming traffic as I’d rather not get a Darwin Award
cabbies always drive at you when crossing a road junction; fucking psychopaths

so we need to look at behaviours and train accordingly. Cars should be required to go slow enough to not cause life changing injuries when there are pedestrians around.
Drivers are required to go below the speed limit and take care where pedestrian footfall is high but pedestrians have a responsibility too not take risks and put themselves on unnecessary danger. Life is full of risks and we all have to behave responsibly to minimise the risk of accidents.

Back
Top Bottom