Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Petition to request parliament review LTNs

Who is he/she/them and

I'm not anti lockdown as we needed to do that during covid to stop the virus spreading and I'm not a climate change denier.

The vast majority of people I have met and engaged with who are not supportive of these wide area LTNs are decent, honest people who see and experience the issues caused by these schemes and they see the unjustness of displacing traffic from the more affluent streets to the less affluent streets
My local LTNs are in Hackney, and I know of other similar schemes in Islington and Camden, and I guarantee after a life time of working in Social Housing in most of the Central London Boroughs, that there will be high numbers of social housing within those LTNs. And I'd hazard a guess that elsewhere in the country, where LTNs exist or are being planned, there will be social housing contained within. I'm not sure if it still exists , but in the premier street in my home town, The Royal Crescent, in Bath, there was a council flat on that street.

My local LTNs are in Hackney, and I know of other similar schemes in Islington and Camden, and I guarantee after a life time of working in Social Housing in most of the Central London Boroughs, that there will be high numbers of social housing within those LTNs. And I'd hazard a guess that elsewhere in the country, where LTNs exist or are being planned, there will be social housing contained within. I'm not sure if it still exists , but in the premier street in my home town, The Royal Crescent, in Bath, there was a council flat on that street.
I'm not saying you won't find social housing and social tenants insides LTNs but you are more likely to live on of near a main road if you are poorer or from an ethnic minority background and you are more likely to be walking on or to those main roads if you are poorer or from an ethnic minority background so pushing the traffic out of the side streets onto the main roads is a socially unjust thing to do

Have a watch of this as he explains it better than I can showing data to prove these points

I think you might need to temper your expectations as it's only gone up by a measly 31 signatories in two days,
There were just over 10000 on Monday morning and around 10300 on Tuesday morning and 10600 on Wednesday morning - that's a daily increase of around 300

There were just over 10000 on Monday morning and around 10300 on Tuesday morning and 10600 on Wednesday morning - that's a daily increase of around 300

You do know they don't have to debate it? it gets 'considered', that's all. Plenty get 100,000+ signatures and never get any further, even the ones get do sometimes get debated. It's a total waste of time.

You do know they don't have to debate it? it gets 'considered', that's all. Plenty get 100,000+ signatures and never get any further, even the ones get do sometimes get debated. It's a total waste of time.
That's your opinion as to it being a total waste of time - if you are a supporter of LTNs then you would no doubt want to see it fail so will no doubt pour cold water over it and try and dissuade people from signing it - in my opinion the more people who know about these LTNs schemes and the negative affects they cause the better as public opinion on them could sway the politicians into action to remediate the negative issues they cause - that's democracy

• Haha
Reactions: LDC
That's your opinion as to it being a total waste of time - if you are a supporter of LTNs then you would no doubt want to see it fail so will no doubt pour cold water over it and try and dissuade people from signing it - in my opinion the more people who know about these LTNs schemes and the negative affects they cause the better as public opinion on them could sway the politicians into action to remediate the negative issues they cause - that's democracy
No, what's democracy is when candidates for local government run on a anti-LTN tickets and get nowhere.

Bet you're a retired man and this is some weird retirement bugbear of yours. Honestly, it's a waste of time, I'd bet you anything you could flog it for years and it'll get nowhere.

Can't you take up golf or dogging instead like a normal person?

No, what's democracy is when candidates for local government run on a anti-LTN tickets and get nowhere.
No local council or councillor has any real mandate to impose these schemes without due care and attention being carried out as only around 40% of the electorate bother to vote in local elections and the majority of those that do vote do so based on national political issues without any regard to local issues.

The monitoring and consultation processes for these LTN schemes has been woefully short of what it should be and there has been a severe lack of duty of care shown by the councils and councillors to their residents, businesses and community organisations.

Lambeth council have
1. NOT ASSESSED how their LTNs impact the carbon footprint of the borough so for all we know it might have gone up
2. NOT ASSESSED if more or less miles are being driven as a result of their LTNs so for all we know it might have gone up
3. NOT MONITORED all the roads where traffic is displaced to by the LTNs but is that deliberate in order to claim that they have evaporated traffic!
4. NOT ASSESSED CONGESTION as the traffic counting strips they put down just count traffic and not how much stop-start-idling congestion is occurring
5. NOT COUNTED vehicles travelling below 10kmh as the traffic counting strips they put down on roads to count traffic do not count vehicles that are travelling below 10kmh which is what stop-start-idling traffic does when congestion occurs
6. NOT MONITORED ALL EMMISSIONS POLLUTION with physical equipment but instead used a mathematical modelling process based on the traffic counts which as you can see above are flawed in a number of ways

All of this points to the need to have these LTN schemes reviewed by parliament.

Bet you're a retired man and this is some weird retirement bugbear of yours. Honestly, it's a waste of time, I'd bet you anything you could flog it for years and it'll get nowhere.

Can't you take up golf or dogging instead like a normal person?
Nope - I've got two jobs and work 8 days a week

Just ignore the post if it bugs you

Have you seen the suggestions I've made to try persuade and incentivise people and businesses to switch to active travel and other modes of transport which should reduce vehicle numbers?

Private car ownership in London is coming down but the number of delivery vehicles and PHVs is going up as more and more people use by online and have things delivered.

The changes around Wandsworth Bridge Rd will obviously concentrate more traffic on the main roads and make it seem worse than it is but it seems that the council in that area have plans to push traffic away from Wandsworth Bridge Rd no doubt to other roads in the area so I'm not sure they are really working on reducing traffic and more just displacing it.

The gyratory is often gridlocked which is probably caused by issues across the bridge. As and when Wandsworth sort this out the issue will be pushed out a few miles for someone else to suffer. How many journeys of 2 miles or less, how many people here need their cars. Many of the journeys are simply to take little Algernon or Tabatha to school.

No local council or councillor has any real mandate to impose these schemes without due care and attention being carried out as only around 40% of the electorate bother to vote in local elections and the majority of those that do vote do so based on national political issues without any regard to local issues.
They absolutely have a mandate, they were elected after these went in. The candidates who were anti LTNs in Lambeth, Southwark and Islington got nowhere.

I'm only a few pages in so haven't savoured all the delights of this thread. However as soon as I worked out what an LTN was :oops: I thought, 'I bet Farage et al are into into these protests'. And sure enough... [but with apols if already posted]...

No local council or councillor has any real mandate to impose these schemes
Your friends have a solution.

FqI59TbXoAQt0eH

BTW ianarmstrong walking home from work earlier past Juniper Drive along York Road, I started to notice how many cars just had a driver in and no one else.
Buses excepted, I saw just two cars with a passenger in How many of those cars were going on an unnecessarily short journey, possibly to pick up children from school?

BTW ianarmstrong walking home from work earlier past Juniper Drive along York Road, I started to notice how many cars just had a driver in and no one else.
Buses excepted, I saw just two cars with a passenger in How many of those cars were going on an unnecessarily short journey, possibly to pick up children from school?
I saw many bicycles today, every one of them flying through red lights or careering into prams and clogging up the cycle lanes. Each one had a single rider, no tandems or quadracycles in sight. How many of them were cycling unnecessarily - just for fun?

Last edited:
I saw many bicycles today, every one of them flying through red lights or careering into prams and clogging up the cycle lanes. Each one had a single rider, no tandems or quadracycles in sight. How many of them were cycling unnecessarily - just for fun?
As much as I have a few issues with cyclists these days, how much road space do they take up in comparison to a car, how much pollution do they cause,
how many people do cyclists kill; little by comparison to cars.

Careering into prams?

I look forward to this expose into the rise of child mortality by bike

Back
Top Bottom