Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

People of Merthyr give Ian Duncan Smith a reality check

By selling things at a profit.

And where does that profit come from?

And how do people have the money to buy the things? To put things in terms akin to your "take 20% tax and use it to pay their wages", how come people can buy things then companies take some money out from this and then still pay the people enough to buy those things?

How can everything be OK if it's all private companies making a profit but when exactly the same system is nationalised, it suddenly isn't viable? It's the same system, only with less leakage!

But mass unemployment in selected areas of the UK is not a problem for your governments. It is their solution to the problem of labor militancy. As such it is not going anywhere fast.

I'm not expecting "millions" of people to move. In fact I was referring specifically to the people in this film, and thinking especially of the girls who made it. Ambitious and able people like them could make a fine lives for themselves somewhere other than South Wales.

I'd give you ten-to-one that they won't be living in Merthyr five years from now.

So your solution for the guy with MS and the woman with the family in that film is rot, because you aren't able to leave?

Tory policy, essentially?

The reality of the situation is that few are going to be moving anywhere, and no government is going to be capable of creating the kind of employment that's needed due to being wedded to the same economic dogma that the financial institutions and oligarchs that finance their political parties-and ultimately control them-subscribe to.Eventually the welfare state itself will be a distant memory.

Your kids are going to be living in a very different, diminished kind of society, where to thrive, or even survive, they're going to have to seek favours from strong and influential contacts.

Ex-pat cock.

I'm not sure there's even a word for that kind of prejudice.

There's actually an interesting debate to be had here, if you can refrain from personal attacks. Why should someone continue fighting a war that they believe to be lost? I can see the arguments on both sides.

But I don't think you, or people like you, can. I think your politics left the realm of reality some time ago.

There's actually an interesting debate to be had here, if you can refrain from personal attacks. Why should someone continue fighting a war that they believe to be lost? I can see the arguments on both sides.

But I don't think you, or people like you, can. I think your politics left the realm of reality some time ago.

You are an ex-pat and a cock. What do you disagree with?

1989 to be precise.

Labour theory of value, I think

And where does that profit come from?

And how do people have the money to buy the things? To put things in terms akin to your "take 20% tax and use it to pay their wages", how come people can buy things then companies take some money out from this and then still pay the people enough to buy those things?

How can everything be OK if it's all private companies making a profit but when exactly the same system is nationalised, it suddenly isn't viable? It's the same system, only with less leakage!

I don't know :(

Which industries would you nationalize that would be profit making and why can the public sector succeed in doing this in places like Merthyr when the private sector can't. These are genuine questions by the way, I'm not just being awkward.

None of which is going to happen. Or if it is-how?

No, it isn't going to happen. And people aren't going to -- aren't able to -- leave. Which means that the outcome will be a downward spiral that leaves the people in these town ever more bereft of most things that should be their birthright. OK? Things are hopeless, we get that.

Doesn't mean we can't talk about what should be done. Because if there is one way to absolutely guarantee nothing ever improves, it's to not even bother trying to work out what the best options should be.

Funny how the people who are so big on suggesting that people from employment dead zones should move to greener pastures are so often to be heard spitting fire about people from, say, Poland doing exactly the same thing.

Funny how the people who are so big on suggesting that people from employment dead zones should move to greener pastures are so often to be heard spitting fire about people from, say, Poland doing exactly the same thing.

It isn't at all funny or strange. The world is not a rational place.

None of which is going to happen.

This is the point. Anyone with an ounce of perception can see that you (and I) are speaking the truth here.

I think even a blinkered, ignorant fool like Proper Tidy could see that. And yet he refuses to draw what any sensible person would recognize as the obvious conclusions. He takes refuge instead in the weird, moralistic recriminations of a complacent martyr.

I'm fast becoming convinced that such politics are pathological.

I don't know :(

Which industries would you nationalize that would be profit making and why can the public sector succeed in doing this in places like Merthyr when the private sector can't. These are genuine questions by the way, I'm not just being awkward.

The key is to not take your eye off the ball. Capitalism is a very cunning game of chase-the-lady. Somewhere along the line, you are duped into thinking you should be looking for the profit rather than the value. But profit is just one way of measuring value -- and a damned crude way at that.

In short, companies aren't able to pay people because they make a profit. No, it's the exact opposite way round -- they make a profit because they pay people... but don't pay them as much as they take from them.

Money derives from value, not profit. Added value, to be precise -- you take something, you expend some effort on it and the result has more value than it had before. That can equally apply to health and education as to the manufacture of widgets.

I think they're fucked. What do you think?

Same as my asnwer to LLETSA:

No, it isn't going to happen. And people aren't going to -- aren't able to -- leave. Which means that the outcome will be a downward spiral that leaves the people in these town ever more bereft of most things that should be their birthright. OK? Things are hopeless, we get that.

Doesn't mean we can't talk about what should be done. Because if there is one way to absolutely guarantee nothing ever improves, it's to not even bother trying to work out what the best options should be.

Back
Top Bottom