Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

People of Merthyr give Ian Duncan Smith a reality check

An excellent film from these young people ,the young must be feeling it worst because they must think there is no future for them ,i hope their wrong

But what we need, what Merthyr needs, is PLC sized companies to generate jobs now attracted there by whatever means, and local start ups which will eventually generate jobs in the future, in Merthyr now.

capitalism has fucked us, therefore we need more capitalism

capitalism has fucked us, therefore we need more capitalism

I think the problem in Merthyr isn't so much capitalism as lack of diversity in capitalism aka 'putting all your eggs in one basket'.

As Neil Kinnock once said "the market makes an excellent engine but a lousy steering wheel"

quoting the man who effectively killed off any social conscience within the labour party is not encouraging

quoting the man who effectively killed off any social conscience within the labour party is not encouraging

Partly due to this, but partly something I want to do anyway, I've started a thread on the mistakes I think the left have made. If you want to discuss what that type of thing, rather than what should be done about Merthyr, then that's perhaps best done there, rather than here.

Hi, I'm one of the four main people (not BBC) who worked on the film. Can I just say thanks for the link, and also for all your comments on the programme. There's just one thing I'd like to correct. The life expectancy of "57' should be '59' and refers to healthy life expectancy for men living in the Gurnos. Merthyr is bad, but not that bad (yet)! We are currently working on a film about the stories of migrant workers and what brought them to Merthyr, and a whole series of very short sharp and direct pieces on the impact of cuts in s Wales. Once again, thank you.

Hi, I'm one of the four main people (not BBC) who worked on the film. Can I just say thanks for the link, and also for all your comments on the programme. There's just one thing I'd like to correct. The life expectancy of "57' should be '59' and refers to healthy life expectancy for men living in the Gurnos. Merthyr is bad, but not that bad (yet)! We are currently working on a film about the stories of migrant workers and what brought them to Merthyr, and a whole series of very short sharp and direct pieces on the impact of cuts in s Wales. Once again, thank you.

Well done on a fierce and thought-provoking film. Hopefully it will be seen by people who don't realise the struggle it is being unemployed. I'd be willing to bet my dog and lot that I'm not the only one looking forward to further films you'll make. Keep going. And post them up here when you're done!

Excellent stuff, keep up the good work. I can only hope that people like you find a wider audience and that this helps create some kind of actual debate to replace the pure rhetoric currently offered by the mainstream media.

You are a soldier Richy. More power to your elbow.

Back
Top Bottom