Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Owen Jones targeted and attacked

Hope he's alight. "kicked in the head" by a group could be quite serious.
Funny, me and a friend had a run in the Lexington with a known far-right nutter ... doesnt seem the kind of pub that would attract the type. I guess it stays open later than most on a weekend is why

Sounds like he's okay..cuts and bruises

And that's central because...

Tell you what’s central - to this site - the frequency with which you condescend toward people. If you don’t agree then say so, don’t go on a merry dance of mental masturbation trying to prove you’re the cleverest/wittiest/most rational person in the room.

All that bollocks about you only posting from work was exactly that, bollocks. You’re always jumping on peoples posts.

Tell you what’s central - to this site - the frequency with which you condescend toward people. If you don’t agree then say so, don’t go on a merry dance of mental masturbation trying to prove you’re the cleverest/wittiest/most rational person in the room.

All that bollocks about you only posting from work was exactly that, bollocks. You’re always jumping on peoples posts.
I don't think I've ever said I only post from work, altho it's true I mostly post there. But what I've wondered here was why treelover thought premeditation central, an issue Rutita1 didn't clear up. I don't know whether I agree it's central till I know why they think it is.

I don't think I've ever said I only post from work, altho it's true I mostly post there. But what I've wondered here was why treelover thought premeditation central, an issue Rutita1 didn't clear up. I don't know whether I agree it's central till I know why they think it is.

Premediated attacks on leftwing journalists are not a great sign. It's that fact rather than the details of this particular event which people seem especially concerned about.

Premediated attacks on leftwing journalists are not a great sign. It's that fact rather than the details of this particular event which people seem especially concerned about.
I'd agree attacks on lw journos not good, i hope oj recovered soon, but I was asking treelover why he thought the premeditation central

I'd agree attacks on lw journos not good, i hope oj recovered soon, but I was asking treelover why he thought the premeditation central
Because a scrap over "you trod on my trainers" or whatever is a pub fight that happens randomly if you're unlucky enough. I take the premeditation bit to mean he was attacked for who he is and what he stands for.

Terrible thing to have happened, and I hope he's not too shaken up.

Hard to know what happened; whether it was a 'you looking at my pint?!' run-of- the-mill drunken pub fight, or something much more worrying e.g. a homophobic attach by bigots, or fascists targeting leftists in planned attacks.

Hard to know what happened; whether it was a 'you looking at my pint?!' run-of- the-mill drunken pub fight, or something much more worrying e.g. a homophobic attach by bigots, or fascists targeting leftists in planned attacks.
I think it should be taken at face value that this small group walked over ('made a beeline') and attacked Jones without any provocation or prior altercation given that's what he's said happened. Which doesn't indicate a drunken row over a spilled pint. Obviously if something comes out that contradicts this version of events then fair enough but at moment no reason to doubt.

Not sure why people are feeling the need to speculate it might have been random, same as I don't understand why some people feel need to caveat sympathy with 'I don't like him much but...'

I think it should be taken at face value that this small group walked over ('made a beeline') and attacked Jones without any provocation or prior altercation given that's what he's said happened. Which doesn't indicate a drunken row over a spilled pint. Obviously if something comes out that contradicts this version of events then fair enough but at moment no reason to doubt.

Not sure why people are feeling the need to speculate it might have been random, same as I don't understand why some people feel need to caveat sympathy with 'I don't like him much but...'

I don't feel any need to decide one way or another what happened; I'll hold off forming any judgement until more facts are known. Obviously, in the meantime, I wish him a speedy recovery, and I'll continue to remain vigilant against violence from fascists (who are becoming increasingly emboldened).

"Targeting a journalist" might also be worth considering here, in terms of impact on the political climate of the UK.

Because a scrap over "you trod on my trainers" or whatever is a pub fight that happens randomly if you're unlucky enough. I take the premeditation bit to mean he was attacked for who he is and what he stands for.
Yeh fair point. Tbh I'd say the discipline and organisation of the attack central, because that speaks, to my mind, of experience, common purpose and frankly team work. Maybe it was opportunistic, maybe it was more considered, but pounds to pennies they've done something like this before.

The facts are in: it was premeditated, targeted, aimed at Owen not his mates (other than to block them), and they ran off after without saying anything. There's plenty of conclusions to draw from that - lots of options that can be ruled out and one glaring one sat there.

Yeh fair point. Tbh I'd say the discipline and organisation of the attack central, because that speaks, to my mind, of experience, common purpose and frankly team work. Maybe it was opportunistic, maybe it was more considered, but pounds to pennies they've done something like this before.

Funny enough, I thought the MO pointed away from a pre-planned attack by fascists: the absence of any mention of his politics during the attack; the lack of any significant injury; and, that they seem to have spent the evening in a known location covered by CCTV. Strikes me as more likely an opportunist attack by fascists, a homophobic attack, or something non-political.

I see no reason to disbelieve his version of events. The fact he reports no verbal interaction with them before they made a beeline for him is central, they knew who he is.

Funny enough, I thought the MO pointed away from a pre-planned attack by fascists: the absence of any mention of his politics during the attack; the lack of any significant injury; and, that they seem to have spent the evening in a known location covered by CCTV. Strikes me as more likely an opportunist attack by fascists, a homophobic attack, or something non-political.
If it was simply homophobic you'd have thought they'd have had a pop at his partner too. The cctv? 30 yards down the way from the Lexington I'm not sure there is cctv: although there'll almost certainly be cctv somewhere of them before and after the attack.

There doesn't need to have been significant injury. If the attack was targeted as reported then it's achieved its purpose of threat and promise. :(

Back
Top Bottom