Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

'Needle spiking' in UK nightclubs wtf?

Grim.

The needle-stick story emerges in the Houston Astroworld stampede too. As if crowd surge alone, in a dangerously crowded venue where everyone wants to see the star, wasn't enough.

Finner said that among the "narratives" under review by police were reports suggesting "some individual was injecting other people with drugs."

One report involved a security officer "who felt a prick in his neck" as he was trying to restrain or grab someone and then fell unconscious, only to be revived with a dose of the opioid antidote naloxone, Finner said, citing an account from medical personnel who treated the officer.

Finner said the medical staff also noticed what appeared to be a needle mark on the officer's neck.

It was not clear whether authorities suspected such an episode played a role in the crowd surge, but Finner said, "we're going to get down to the bottom of it."

Police were awaiting autopsies to determine the causes of death, but said some victims were trampled.
But there doesn't need to be much cause to set off a crowd surge. Especially when the star is egging them on.

The BBC has been reporting the injection hypothesis, which is irresponsible before confirmation. It illustrates how stories get inflated by repetition. It then becomes too easy to dismiss the whole phenomenon as fake when there might have been an element of truth behind some of the reports somewhere.

Utterly grim what happened in Houston without any need to embellish it.

Houston disaster thread here. Didn't want to put the (peripheral) needle spike story on that one as it's about the tragedy itself:

Not an injection but I find the casual, rehearsed sleight-of-hand this man uses to drop a pill into the woman's drink really alarming. He's almost certainly done this before and barely looks old enough to be in a club.

He's been nicked for it (along with another, both 18).

My ex girlfriend has just had a really traumatic evening. She went to a gig in east London and it seems she was almost certainly spiked. I had to talk her through her cab journey home because she felt so disorientated and vulnerable - and this is someone who can definitely handle her drink normally.

It was horrible hearing her so terrified on her journey back to her flat, but I'm going to encourage her to call the police tomorrow because something clearly happened here.

How awful. 😡 Hope she's okay, editor and glad you managed to help her get home safely. Where was the gig out of interest?

Grim.

The needle-stick story emerges in the Houston Astroworld stampede too. As if crowd surge alone, in a dangerously crowded venue where everyone wants to see the star, wasn't enough.

But there doesn't need to be much cause to set off a crowd surge. Especially when the star is egging them on.

The BBC has been reporting the injection hypothesis, which is irresponsible before confirmation. It illustrates how stories get inflated by repetition. It then becomes too easy to dismiss the whole phenomenon as fake when there might have been an element of truth behind some of the reports somewhere.

Utterly grim what happened in Houston without any need to embellish it.

Houston disaster thread here. Didn't want to put the (peripheral) needle spike story on that one as it's about the tragedy itself:
This one at least has been disproven as the security guard had said they weren't, the original story came from medics who treated him whilst he was unconscious but never spoke to him about what actually happened: Security guard wasn't victim of "needle-spiking" at Astroworld, was struck in head: Police

That reminds me, the case I have mentioned above also wasn't needle-spiking, normal blood results, no sign of anything at all. I'm 100% it was overactive imagination/anxiety provoked and social media fueled after a panic attack.

How is she doing editor? Hope you are both ok.
She's still in bed feeling rough. She barely remembers anything from the night, and has absolutely no recollection of the long cab journey home. Of course it could be that she just got more pissed than she thought, but I've never known her to be scared after drinking - or even get into this kind of state - so something doesn't seem right, especially as it wasn't a particularly long night out.

She's still in bed feeling rough. She barely remembers anything from the night, and has absolutely no recollection of the long cab journey home. Of course it could be that she just got more pissed than she thought, but I've never known her to be scared after drinking - or even get into this kind of state - so something doesn't seem right, especially as it wasn't a particularly long night out.

Glad to hear that she got home OK and apart from feeling rough sounds to be on the mend

If she can report to the police at least they would have a note of it, but any tests might not find anything and if she'd been spiked with extra shots of alcohol nothing will show up anyway. And I can appreciate she'd rather just get better.

I'm glad she got home safe.

If she can report to the police at least they would have a note of it, but any tests might not find anything and if she'd been spiked with extra shots of alcohol nothing will show up anyway. And I can appreciate she'd rather just get better.

I'm glad she got home safe.
I'll chat to her when she feels better and see what her friends say too. If she still feels that something was definitely not right I'll encourage her to contact the police.

Interesting thing on bbc R4 about spiking. They interviewed a victim who remembered nothing but had lost his wallet and phone, his phone had been accessed and lots of financial transactions done, bank card and pin also used. I'm thinking this is a more likely aim for "mugging" someone as well as a sexual motive. Horrible

Interesting thing on bbc R4 about spiking. They interviewed a victim who remembered nothing but had lost his wallet and phone, his phone had been accessed and lots of financial transactions done, bank card and pin also used. I'm thinking this is a more likely aim for "mugging" someone as well as a sexual motive. Horrible
Probably this one:

Surely, if one has multiple accounts, it isn't particularly wise to go out with cards/a device that can gain access to all of them?

Not victim blaming -- scumbags gonna scumbag, and they're entirely at fault -- but there's no need to make things easier for them.

Ms Owen, a French and Spanish student at the University of Nottingham, said she went with her friends to Pryzm nightclub in Nottingham city centre, but cannot remember anything else from the evening.
She said she was found on her own in a takeaway, and in the morning found a pin prick mark on her leg.

This is a good investigation into the needle spiking phenomenon last Autumn. 40 min audio with transcript.

Spiking: An injection of fear - Tortoise

Summary - there isn’t good evidence that there was a needle spiking epidemic and it’s unlikely that it happened. Importantly though there are good reasons why women believed it was happening (including dreadfully unhelpful responses from the NHS and police).

Bit about this on 24 hours in A and E on Channel 4 tonight
Looking for marks on 2 women who were spiked
One woman with raised bit on their arm who felt they'd been spiked

Bit about this on 24 hours in A and E on Channel 4 tonight
Looking for marks on 2 women who were spiked
One woman with raised bit on their arm who felt they'd been spiked

Aye one of them had collapsed, it said at the end that they'd dealt with over 200 cases of women spiked (both drink spiked and suspected needle-spiking) between October and December.
I've had my drink spiked once, fortunately I was with people who helped me get home safe.

This is a good investigation into the needle spiking phenomenon last Autumn. 40 min audio with transcript.

Spiking: An injection of fear - Tortoise

Summary - there isn’t good evidence that there was a needle spiking epidemic and it’s unlikely that it happened. Importantly though there are good reasons why women believed it was happening (including dreadfully unhelpful responses from the NHS and police).
This is a really sensible balanced piece

Back
Top Bottom